Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
I was cracking up at people calling you a Troll even if I didn't believe your post, those of us that have been around for a long time (like you) its easy to tell from the avatar.

I think what happened you outlined it here, you got the jump before his turbos spooled..your car being modded, and about what , 800lbs lighter gave you the jump, and then he could not catch up

What really makes this interesting is your observation from riding along later , and not being impressed that much.. to me it gives credence to your account of what happened. I think you being the experienced driver played of course into it as well.

people argue over 10 cars or 5 cars... you beat him by a good deal, lets just leave it at that

Cracks me up when something or someone else comes along and the Almighty indestructable unbeatable GTR gets beaten, you'd think its the space shuttle by the way some nutt hug it
Thank you! I did not break out the measuring stick, but it was a significant lead, so I threw out 10 cars as an estimate. Yes I totally got the jump on him and the Torquer pulled like a freight train. Now if we started at a dead stop and he used launch control (which I do not have), it may have been different, but that was not the case. Seems rolling starts are not their thing. My General Exclaims are just awesome and hook very well as long as I don't dump the clutch.

Again, I went for a ride with him at several full throttle runs and it did not have that scary fast feeling I get from my Z with the Torquer. It was very quiet and felt like I was in a Nissan Maxima until the turbo spooled. There was a slight delay, the power was NOT instantaneous, but once the turbo's hit, the power came on hard, but never really provided that nasty "your about to die" acceleration.

I can tell you after going for a 20 minute ride, even if the car was the same price or slightly cheaper than a Z, I would not prefer it. I didn't feel like I was in anything special. I thought the interior was no better than my buddy's new Maxima. No exhaust growl or visceral excitement, couldn't really feel gear shifting. It was like being in a video game (felt fake). I would say as an around town car, it would be better than a Corvette. It rode nice, quiet and compliant, but that was part of what I did not like.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
duhveed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wait till he gets an intake, exhaust and tune......lol
Old 04-29-2013, 04:15 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Thank you! I did not break out the measuring stick, but it was a significant lead, so I threw out 10 cars as an estimate. Yes I totally got the jump on him and the Torquer pulled like a freight train. Now if we started at a dead stop and he used launch control (which I do not have), it may have been different, but that was not the case. Seems rolling starts are not their thing. My General Exclaims are just awesome and hook very well as long as I don't dump the clutch.

Again, I went for a ride with him at several full throttle runs and it did not have that scary fast feeling I get from my Z with the Torquer. It was very quiet and felt like I was in a Nissan Maxima until the turbo spooled. There was a slight delay, the power was NOT instantaneous, but once the turbo's hit, the power came on hard, but never really provided that nasty "your about to die" acceleration.

I can tell you after going for a 20 minute ride, even if the car was the same price or slightly cheaper than a Z, I would not prefer it. I didn't feel like I was in anything special. I thought the interior was no better than my buddy's new Maxima. No exhaust growl or visceral excitement, couldn't really feel gear shifting. It was like being in a video game (felt fake). I would say as an around town car, it would be better than a Corvette. It rode nice, quiet and compliant, but that was part of what I did not like.
I think a lot of times people fear the GTR only focusing on starting from a launch, and as you mentioned, that might have had a different outcome, obviously the AWD and techno advantage goes to the GTR and they will win 9 out of 10 times...

From a roll race it becomes more of a driver race and HP vs weight, the AWD and other gizmos the GTR has do not come into play as much as they do off the line.
Again to the GTR lovers, nobody is denying they are very fast cars, but they can be beaten ....I'm just waiting for the "well your Z06 was modded vs a stock GTR" comments
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

10 car lengths in your dreams.A 2014 gtr runs 10.9 all day long all stock ,and even from a 20 mph roll your torquer z06 will get beat!I would say after 70 mph you might pull away but by then he ll be so far ahead you ll have stopped trying.Please when you want to tell a story tell it from the heart ,not some made up load of crap,Gtr 2012 and up and 911 turbo pdk porsches eat everything up on street tires.Everything including zr1 and ferrari 458 italia.Go tell your fantasy to someone else not to someone that has a family member with a gtr and who knows how blindingly quick it is from low speeds.

Last edited by camirocz; 04-29-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

On the street on street tires the gtr will not lose.Highway roll maybe if its a torquer cammed car.Even the whole quarter mile the vette will get spanked .That cars tranny and traction make it a killer car in a drag race.Go run one and you ll see how fast they really are.Forget z06 and zr 1s at a rented track on drag radials and 40 degree weather in the real world its a falt eleven car against a flat 12 car .You re right its ten car lengths but you mixed up the cars.My z06 has gone 11.6 at 126.8 and on the street i have no chance!Now go to the track and tell us what your car runs.

Last edited by camirocz; 04-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by camirocz
10 car lengths in your dreams.A 2014 gtr runs 10.9 all day long all stock ,and even from a 20 mph roll your torquer z06 will get beat!I would say after 70 mph you might pull away but by then he ll be so far ahead you ll have stopped trying.Please when you want to tell a story tell it from the heart ,not some made up load of crap,Gtr 2012 and up and 911 turbo pdk porsches eat everything up on street tires.Everything including zr1 and ferrari 458 italia.Go tell your fantasy to someone else not to someone that has a family member with a gtr and who knows how blindingly quick it is from low speeds.
On the street on street tires the gtr will not lose.Highway roll maybe if its a torquer cammed car.Even the whole quarter mile the vette will get spanked .That cars tranny and traction make it a killer car in a drag race.Go run one and you ll see how fast they really are.Forget z06 and zr 1s at a rented track on drag radials and 40 degree weather in the real world its a falt eleven car against a flat 12 car .You re right its ten car lengths but you mixed up the cars.My z06 has gone 11.6 at 126.8 and on the street i have no chance!Now go to the track and tell us what your car runs.
You're right , he is lying and totally made the whole thing up You've got a serious attitude problem, you are the one in fantasy land ...calling his story crap.

Yeap, jersey just made it up If you bothered to actually read his other post, he stated from a dig it might have been different.

Nobody is saying they are a slow cars, modded they can be wicked fast, but they can be beaten as stated here. I think its funny you are trying to accuse him of flat out lying

You need the reality check, go back to the Nutt Hugger GTR forum

Last edited by FrankTank; 04-29-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Listen guys, I can't speak as to why I pulled away so much or if he did something wrong. How I explained it, is exactly how it happened, as well as my ride in the car afterwards. He nailed it perfect every time with no mistakes or wheelspin. He literally just nails the gas, and it goes, there is no effort from the driver. So not sure how he could of messed up. I have been around for a while and have a great reputation on this forum. Never BS's anyone in the 14 years I have been posting. I am also a time trial champion and can point my name on websites with track records and FTD's (fastest time of the day).

Maybe the magic "law of physics breaking" GTR, just got some stuck in a bit of reality. Again this was not off the line. I am sure if I spun my tires, he could have pulled away and maybe I could have not caught up. But think about it...the 2014 GTR makes 545hp and weights 3818lbs (per Nissan website). My car makes around 515 SAE corrected hp (per dyno) and weights 3143 (car has been cornerweighted). Both documents can be provided. So if you take a mild 12% drivetrain loss, I make approximately 576hp. So I have a HP and weight advantage on him, how is me winning so far fetched??

Like I said got no video or pics, so only my word. I only posted because I was amazed myself after hearing all the GTR hype.

Last edited by 95jersey; 04-29-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Listen guys, I can't speak as to why I pulled away so much or if he did something wrong. How I explained it, is exactly how it happened, as well as my ride in the car afterwards. He nailed it perfect every time with no mistakes or wheelspin. He literally just nails the gas, and it goes, there is no effort from the driver. So not sure how he could of messed up. I have been around for a while and have a great reputation on this forum. Never BS's anyone in the 14 years I have been posting. I am also a time trial champion and can point my name on websites with track records and FTD's (fastest time of the day).

Maybe the magic "law of physics breaking" GTR, just got some stuck in a bit of reality. Again this was not off the line. I am sure if I spun my tires, he could have pulled away and maybe I could have not caught up. But think about it...the 2014 GTR makes 545hp and weights 3818lbs (per Nissan website). My car makes around 515 SAE corrected hp (per dyno) and weights 3143 (car has been cornerweighted). Both documents can be provided. So if you take a mild 12% drivetrain loss, I make approximately 576hp. So I have a HP and weight advantage on him, how is me winning so far fetched??

Like I said got no video or pics, so only my word.

Stop posting up all this common sense and facts that you can back up some of these GTR nutt huggers get their panties all twisted
Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Fran the Dank , your lost bro . not worth it arguing with you.
Some of us have real world experience with the GTR on the streets.
I watched my intake/tune 08 Z06 get walked like a dog by my freinds 12 GTR with exhaust , intake and some tunning.
I just find it comedic that in your earlier post you mention the word " GTR nuthuggers" , what would you call youself with GM ?
Cmon man , you can be bold and confident with your vette budies who have the slightest clue how fast these cars are but some of us on the boards live in real world and have real world experience.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Frank your signature tells it all.American flag...lol.Wake up and go race a gtr.I drive a z06 cause i like the feel so you can go on gtr forums if you like.I know your type of narrow minded personality.Its pretty typical.Oh if ts not american it can t be good or fast,and quite frankly Frank i couldnt care less about what you think.Go race a bone stock gtr you ,that guy with the torquer and everyone lese on this forum whose on street tires and doesnt have a blower and you will get KILLED!!!!!!!!!You get it smarty pants?I drive a z06 but i speak the truth and i dont believe in wishfull thinking becoming reality either.Driving experience the vette,speed the gtr.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I can see a GTR with a tune and exhaust easily beat a Z06 simply because their tune probably allows them to increase boost. Our tune just maximizes air/fuel mixture along with timing. In their world, increasing just 2-3lb of boost is a MUCH more dramatic difference, than what I call an "efficiency" tune we do on our NA motors.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Fran the Dank , your lost bro . not worth it arguing with you.
Some of us have real world experience with the GTR on the streets.
I watched my intake/tune 08 Z06 get walked like a dog by my freinds 12 GTR with exhaust , intake and some tunning.
I just find it comedic that in your earlier post you mention the word " GTR nuthuggers" , what would you call youself with GM ?
Cmon man , you can be bold and confident with your vette budies who have the slightest clue how fast these cars are but some of us on the boards live in real world and have real world experience.
You and I both know a intake, exhaust, and tune make a HUGE difference on GTRs so can't really compare that to a race between a Camd C6Z vs a Stock 14 GTR.
Stock they aren't that fast to be honest, Modded is a completely different story tho
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Frank your signature tells it all.American flag...lol.Wake up and go race a gtr.I drive a z06 cause i like the feel so you can go on gtr forums if you like.I know your type of narrow minded personality.Its pretty typical.Oh if ts not american it can t be good or fast,and quite frankly Frank i couldnt care less about what you think.Go race a bone stock gtr you ,that guy with the torquer and everyone lese on this forum whose on street tires and doesnt have a blower and you will get KILLED!!!!!!!!!You get it smarty pants?I drive a z06 but i speak the truth and i dont believe in wishfull thinking becoming reality either.Driving experience the vette,speed the gtr.
13 GTRs lose to 2013 GT500s from a roll, and our cars are a total drivers race with 13 GT500s. So saying anyone will lose to a new GTR will lose unless they have a blower is retarded
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Nino S
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

we have a couple AMS godzillas running around my area ranging from the basic 700 hp version up to the low 9 sec 1100. Even just slightly modded they are complete animals, just like a Z. Go run one with similar bolt ons and see the results....
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM
rustybridges05
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from a roll, i believe it...Maybe he was low rpm and second gear (not in his power band)
Either way, i raced a gtr from a roll and im not impressed either. Pulled 3-4 cars and i only put down 490.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll just have to conclude that this story was due to driver differences, because in the hands of a good driver, a 2014 GT-R is a sub-3 second 0-60 (Motor Trend got 2.8 with a '13) and probably a sub 11-second 1/4mi, which is faster than a ~560RWHP ZR-1. Maybe the guy doesn't know how to use the GT-R's launch control.

Bottom line is, it's hard to keep up with elite 4WD cars from zero, at least until the curves come.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nino S
we have a couple AMS godzillas running around my area ranging from the basic 700 hp version up to the low 9 sec 1100. Even just slightly modded they are complete animals, just like a Z. Go run one with similar bolt ons and see the results....
Did I state he paid $100k, and I paid $65k for my Z in 2006 and $1850 for the cam and install. So I have $33,200 left to spend to meet his budget. Can you imagine what that budget would do to my Z06.
Hence my comment when he said I paid $100k, I nearly threw up...

The GTR inside and out IS NOT A $100K car. My opinion...GTR=EPIC FAIL.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR

Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has a lot of valuable information.

~.~
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

My opinion...GTR=EPIC FAIL.
Just when you thought you heard it all .
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
I'll just have to conclude that this story was due to driver differences, because in the hands of a good driver, a 2014 GT-R is a sub-3 second 0-60 (Motor Trend got 2.8 with a '13) and probably a sub 11-second 1/4mi, which is faster than a ~560RWHP ZR-1. Maybe the guy doesn't know how to use the GT-R's launch control.

Bottom line is, it's hard to keep up with elite 4WD cars from zero, at least until the curves come.
Et and 0-60 don't mean much in roll racing. It's all gearing, HP, weight, and Aero

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR