Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Just when you thought you heard it all .
Ya Idk about a gtr being a fail lol
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Fran the Dank , your lost bro . not worth it arguing with you.
Some of us have real world experience with the GTR on the streets.
I watched my intake/tune 08 Z06 get walked like a dog by my freinds 12 GTR with exhaust , intake and some tunning.
I just find it comedic that in your earlier post you mention the word " GTR nuthuggers" , what would you call youself with GM ?
Cmon man , you can be bold and confident with your vette budies who have the slightest clue how fast these cars are but some of us on the boards live in real world and have real world experience.
and how do you know what my experience is "real world" with a GTR? Did I post it up yet? maybe I will maybe I won't ,, maybe I got walked by a GTR?? My Nutt Hugger comment was clearly directed at camirocz , who's childish ignorant response I was replying to , just like I will below... his post was full of ignorant emotion,,, he's basically calling Jersey a flat out liar. We are supposed to take his word that the almighty GTR can't be beat, but yet Jersey posts up something that contradicts that and he goes ballistic

Nobody Is saying the Z06 is the be all end all... quite unlike some others who think the GTR is. I've already stated its an impressive, and very very fast car,, from a dig they are almost untouchable, but there are ways to take them down. jersey's account demonstrates that. For some reason some of you just can't handle that this happened.

Originally Posted by camirocz
Frank your signature tells it all.American flag...lol.Wake up and go race a gtr.I drive a z06 cause i like the feel so you can go on gtr forums if you like.I know your type of narrow minded personality.Its pretty typical.Oh if ts not american it can t be good or fast,and quite frankly Frank i couldnt care less about what you think.Go race a bone stock gtr you ,that guy with the torquer and everyone lese on this forum whose on street tires and doesnt have a blower and you will get KILLED!!!!!!!!!You get it smarty pants?I drive a z06 but i speak the truth and i dont believe in wishfull thinking becoming reality either.Driving experience the vette,speed the gtr.
aweeeee you okay pumpkin? keep fishing buddy..you could care less what I think?? So because I don't really care for the GTR and like the Z06 more ..that's narrow minded? hardly, get a clue please.

Narrow minded, I acknowledged that the GTR's are wicked fast, modded even faster and probably would win from a dig..thats hardly narrow minded Its a very impressive performing car

quite frankly I am still laughing at your original response, and now even at this last post you made . You take this stuff way to seriously and everyone here can see it

Relax man

Last edited by FrankTank; 04-29-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Ya Idk about a gtr being a fail lol
no way,, I think most would agree too, I think Jersey was just responding to some of the childish remarks being thrown at him.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 PM
icrashevos
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
No Troll, as you can see by my avatar, I have been a member longer than any other poster on this thread. I am a certified road racing driving instructor (so maybe that helped). He was probably slow to get on the throttle and a novice at best, but isn't that car suppose to make anyone fast? I am not exaggerating on 10 cars lengths. I am sure with a better driver it would have been closer. I also went for a drive with him and are telling you FIRST HAND the acceleration was not impressive and throttle response from low RPM sucked until the turbo's kicked in, that is how I got the jump on him and he could not catch up.

I never stated ANYWHERE in the original post this was a drag race from a dead stop with a timing tree. These impromptu things happen on private roads from time to time and you are either up for the challenge or not. Bottom line we counted from 3 at about 20mph and we both hit the gas at the same time.
What tires do you have on? If you hooked at 20 MPH going WOT, you must be using slicks or something quite sticky. Even if he didn't brake boost, you're at like 3k RPM in 1st gear, which is probably out of the powerband for the torquer.

Good kill, but 10+ cars on him from a 20 roll? He must not have had the car set for racing. the 2013 GTR according to Motor Trend does it in 10.7 seconds, granted they are using 96 octane. Probably around 130 mph, as well...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashevos
What tires do you have on? If you hooked at 20 MPH going WOT, you must be using slicks or something quite sticky. Even if he didn't brake boost, you're at like 3k RPM in 1st gear, which is probably out of the powerband for the torquer.

Good kill, but 10+ cars on him from a 20 roll? He must not have had the car set for racing. the 2013 GTR according to Motor Trend does it in 10.7 seconds, granted they are using 96 octane. Probably around 130 mph, as well...
There is some serious in this thread indeed. I'm pretty damned pro-Vette and anti-ricer, but if there is a faster straight line production car than the GT-R under a million dollars, I'd sure like to hear about it. Again, with traction control, it's going under 3 seconds 0-60. If OP beat him by 10 car lengths, chalk the GTR up to a Special Olympics driver.

And anyone who calls a GTR a "fail" is also eligible for the Special Olympics.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

If its new, do they limit power until you hit a certain mileage? Also, arent there a lot of modes and things you have to set the GTR to get full output?

How do you like that torquer? How is it to drive around town? I worry that the engine lope would get annoying.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 95jersey
First, sorry no pics or video, just a good story. Also, this was on a private road, not public highway.

Found a 2014 (temp tag still on the back) GTR. My car is lightly modd'ed 2006 Z with a Torquer cam (stock manifold). Makes around 515-530rwhp.

We lined up around 20mph, lifted fingers and counted to 1-2-3, then BAM. It was GTR for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I pulled a good 10 car lengths. It was not even a contest.

Then later in the day, I pull into my house and what comes around the corner, but the same GTR, I waived and he pulled over. Apparently his nephew is my neighbor. Very nice guy and fellow car enthusiast. We had a nice conversation. Long story short, he says jump in. We go for a quick ride and all I can say is that I was not impressed. The acceleration didn't feel faster than a stock Z06 let alone mine with the Torquer Cam. Car was very nice and smooth, but did not have the punch or torque we've come to expect out of the LS7. They guy said he paid $100k. I almost threw up on his carpet when I heard that...

Something is wrong here. Im sorry but you arent walking a 2014 GTR by 10 car lengths in a lightly modified Z06.

Maybe if you said 1-2 cars I would believe it.

This entire story is out of wack. A 2014 GTR with a stock 0-60 of 2.7 seconds doesnt impress you verse a Z06? This entire story seems out of wack to be honest.

Last edited by propain; 04-29-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by propain
Something is wrong here. Im sorry but you arent walking a 2013 GTR by 10 car lengths in a lightly modified Z06.

Maybe if you said 1-2 cars I would believe it.

This entire story is out of wack. A 2013 GTR with a stock 0-60 of 2.9 seconds doesnt impress you verse a Z06? This entire story seems out of wack to be honest.
I think the guy probably didnt use launch control, etc.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
rustybridges05
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Et and 0-60 don't mean much in roll racing. It's all gearing, HP, weight, and Aero
Wow.. i think you are one of the only people on this forum that KNOWS wtf theyre talking about....

and to the guy that made the comment that a zr1 runs low 11s---I seem to remember ranger running a 10.80something on stock tires bone stock..and ive witnessed many Z06s run 10.30s with 540rwhp...so im confused on your comment and i think anyone else that knows anything about cars is too..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by spinkick
I think the guy probably didnt use launch control, etc.

Not launch control from 20MPH.

Edit: I guess you mean the test drive after. Yeah, most likely. Even without the GTR is a low 3 sec 0-60. Something the Z06 cant touch on the street even with drags.

Sorry but this guy is full of it or something is very wrong.

0-60 GTR 2.7 seconds. From a dig he would have lost really bad.

1/4 mile ET stock high 10's all day every day no track issues.

Walk a the 2014 GTR with a lightly modded Z06 by 10 cars.... Dream on.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
rustybridges05
Instructor

and seriously guys, have you never raced someone that clearly had no business owning a fast car? I remember waxing heads cam ls1s with a bone stock mach 1...point is, its all in the driver and the actual scenario.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM
rustybridges05
Instructor

Edit: I guess you mean the test drive after. Yeah, most likely. Even without the GTR is a low 3 sec 0-60. Something the Z06 cant touch on the street even with drags.

Let me ask you what the redline is on a gtr? what rpm you would shift at, etc? you dont know...and i bet the driver didnt either. IT HAD PAPER TAGS PEOPLE. damn.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GREAT JOB!! I do miss my cammed Z from time to time. That happened exactly the way it should have

From a dig it would be hard to catch though. Like many have said it's not a stock GTR that's the problem it's the modded variety and when modded even lightly cammed Z's are a pretty easy lunch especially on the street.

I was smoked many a time by my buddies GTR and from did forget about it!! It is a much more expensive car to mod, own, and repair, but in it's final form there is little that can touch it on the street.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What's not to believe about this thread? A z06 is a 10 sec car with slicks and good shifting. The reality is a GTR only kills a stock z06 to around 60, and most of that is 0-30mph. Like almost a second. The Z evens up and is even faster after that. A z06 gets killed from traction loss and really long gearing. Anyway the OP's car is not stock and did not run from a dig. That extra low end torque from the cam definitely did not hurt him obviously in this run. Plus great shifting can easily be a couple extra car lengths on what was already a decisive victory.

Of course the GTR's are monsters with a few light mods though. Just find the thread on ls1tech where a pullied cts-v kills a stock GTR only to have the same GTR put a few train lengths on that same caddy after the GTR added exhaust, intake, and tune.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Why are people bringing up 0-60 over and over again?

This was a race from a roll. 20mph... no launch control.

The Z won't touch it from a dig, nothing RWD can, but from a roll its a completely different story. A stock Z has better top end than a GTR.

The GT-R is rated only a hair more at the crank than Jersey's car makes to the wheels. Combined with lighter weight, its not unreasonable for the Z to pull the way he did.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yeah, for everyone doubting 95jersey, at least let him say what mph they raced to before you start trolling him so much. I'm assuming most of 4th gear though with him winning by 10 lengths. That's perfectly reasonable, powershifting and all things considered. FWIW, i have a vid of my own 09 z with cai only running 60-130 in under 8 secs with okay shifting.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

I'm not trolling; I love all cars and was wondering about the GTR losing so bad. Thats a lot of car lengths

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR

Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No video.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

So let me get this straight. We have a lightly modded Z06 which spanked a Z06 which was in the process of being broken in.

From the GT-R owners manual.

Until 300 miles (500 km):

. Do not depress the accelerator pedal more
than halfway and avoid rapid acceleration.
. Drive with the engine speed kept at less
than 3,500 RPM.
. Avoid rapid acceleration in a low gear (1st to
3rd gears) with the accelerator pedal fully
depressed. Depress the pedal slowly.

Nothing to see. Move on folks...
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

No one in here knows about roll racing LOLs. New GTR is like a 124-126 car that is stock Z06 territory. GTR owners even said on their forum a 2013 Gt500 is faster from a roll stock for stock than a 13 GTR. C6Zs have been proven many times to be a drivers race with a 13 GT500 stock for stock. So while idk about 10cars but I don't see any reason he couldn't of beat that GTR by a good bit.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 w/ Torquer vs. 2014 GTR