Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally the Answer We've all Been....

Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I'm glad people are learning more of this issue from my blown engine.

When I get this block home, I'll take pics of the carnage and post it. I have never seen such a large hole in the block. Story was the owner was rippi g down the road at 120mph and it went boom. The extent of the damage was pretty big but my car is now back together and running 100%. Excited to pick it up next week.
Aj
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes well I must say whilst I understand many believe SS and bronze fixes the problem, it is as yet unproven. It looks good but it is very early days still and even if it works the actual cause is unclear. And I do understand being sure is valid - ie IF longterm it does FIX it completely. BELIEVE it works ?? Maybe but only time will tell.

And just as unproven is that the fault is guides or valves or both or neither?

The only proof will be when those using original valves in bronze guides and SS valves in original guides can produce verifiable data. Then add in the longer term results of SS valves with bronze guides and then maybe the evidence will give some concrete proof of where the weakness is.

When some people can drive cars totally original for over 150K miles without incident, and others have bad wear after 5K miles, it is awfully hard to rationalise anything from current stats.

I can see the argument from both sides and nobody has proven anything conclusively. And I expect GM trying to prove the problem would be having similar difficulties with so many variables.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it was mentioned to take any learnings from a supplier in the business of selling valves with a grain of salt. Good advice.

This theory has some great points to it. Besides the size, I wonder how different the LS6 valve is from the LS7 in terms of how close the hollow stem is to the head.

We see garage queens with 9,000 miles that were never tracked having guides out of spec and then mine with over 100 drag passes (plenty of heat exposure) having guides in spec at more than double the mileage. These two examples certainly don't support the theory. Like many have said, likely there is no one single cause. This theory could apply to the heavily tracked cars more, and the mismachined guides could apply to the waxer cars being out of spec and or failing. Who knows. All I know is all cars running WCCH bronze guides have had 100% success with any valve, OEM hollow or SS.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=ConfusedGarage;1583783579]I think it was mentioned to take any learnings from a supplier in the business of selling valves with a grain of salt. Good advice.[quote]

Why?

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
This theory has some great points to it. Besides the size, I wonder how different the LS6 valve is from the LS7 in terms of how close the hollow stem is to the head.

We see garage queens with 9,000 miles that were never tracked having guides out of spec and then mine with over 100 drag passes (plenty of heat exposure) having guides in spec at more than double the mileage. These two examples certainly don't support the theory. Like many have said, likely there is no one single cause. This theory could apply to the heavily tracked cars more, and the mismachined guides could apply to the waxer cars being out of spec and or failing. Who knows. All I know is all cars running WCCH bronze guides have had 100% success with any valve, OEM hollow or SS.
Without a reader actually having to take the time to call Richard, what percentage, or better yet, what number of WCCH heads with these bronze guides in them, are running the OEM exhaust valves?

Also, most importantly, which valve does WCCH recommend for those wanting to address the LS7 valve train issue?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] Besides the size, I wonder how different the LS6 valve is from the LS7 in terms of how close the hollow stem is to the head. [...]
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Once again......a most entertaining post. Please........don't stop now.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE='06 Quicksilver Z06;1583783691][QUOTE=ConfusedGarage;1583783579]I think it was mentioned to take any learnings from a supplier in the business of selling valves with a grain of salt. Good advice.

Why?

Without a reader actually having to take the time to call Richard, what percentage, or better yet, what number of WCCH heads with these bronze guides in them, are running the OEM exhaust valves?

Also, most importantly, which valve does WCCH recommend for those wanting to address the LS7 valve train issue?
I guess the valve manufacturers have no interest in selling their valves and making money. Go to your local car dealer and see if they'd TRY to sell you a new car when your old vehicle is in perfect running condition.

I'd say roughly 200 of the 28,000+ LS7s have your SS setup to answer your question directly. Is that about correct? I don't know how many OEM valves are running with bronze, but I know they have the same success rate when done by Richard at WCCH. If you want to pick apart sample sizes, bronze OEM vs bronze SS are both WAY too small to be statistically significant.

It's like this. I say we've never seen an OEM valve fail, EVER, without having witnessed guide wear at the same time. My theory is the faulty guides (for whatever reason on some - just don't know) eventually fail the valve, and all the data I see supports this to me. If there was a higher number of valve failures than guide failures (I'll call any guide out of spec at time of measurement a failure because that's what it is) I'd be in the camp that the valve was defective. There isn't so the data says to me, that is just not true.

You say Z06_505 had a valve failure without guide wear. I contacted him and he told me word for word his car had guide wear but has no interest in e-battles with certain folks on this forum.

Most mature adults can delineate between a discussion and and an argument, and they also know which is more helpful. That's how things get accomplished effectively. Nobody has to agree on everything, but trying to verbally steamroll people that have a different perspective only benefits one person. The steamroller. We can question and discuss the data points and how they fit into the picture, but few care to battle back and forth arguing.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I think it was mentioned to take any learnings from a supplier in the business of selling valves with a grain of salt. Good advice. [...]
[...] Also, most importantly, which valve does WCCH recommend for those wanting to address the LS7 valve train issue?
Irony: Clearly not a concept grasped by all
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] Also, most importantly, which valve does WCCH recommend for those wanting to address the LS7 valve train issue?
If WCCH had recommended new OEM valves to address the LS7 valve train issue, would you have followed their recommendation?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM
240sx2jz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets not forget.......I have a valve stem sitting on my desk with no signs of guide wear, yet it is still missing a head.

Mark,
What do your guides measure??
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by :)
New Solid Stem Stainless Valves and Bronze Guides.........$199
Installation of Valves and guides with comp valve job.......$410
GM Head Gaskets, head bolts, exhaust manifold gaskets...$142
Platinum Dual Valves Springs w/Tool Steel Retainers........$219
Drinks with an awesome friend while slapping it together..Free

Satisfaction in knowing your Z06 will be one of a few with original low mileage
engine in 20 years......

Priceless.
Originally Posted by booyah!
They all have the problem. If you measured no wear, consider the fact that you may have measured wrong.

So what if you put 100,000 miles on a Z problem free? In 20 years, that one will be long gone. Those of us running 5000 miles per year are the ones worried about latent failures. If you put the 100k++ on during the 5 yr warranty period, you've already gotten your money's worth.
What causes the conditions leading to valve failure can be debated. It's fairly clear the guide is beating it up, but the "why this happens" can still be debated.

What cannot be debated is:
a) they stock valves fail
b) they break at the weld of the 2pc valve

Remove B and retest. So far so good!

Originally Posted by EAD B's
I love my car again! No start button anxiety here!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
lets not forget.......I have a valve stem sitting on my desk with no signs of guide wear, yet it is still missing a head. [...]
That means you have the guide too? What are the ID's?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark200X
What's your own guides measure and what have you done about the one which you know is grossly out of spec besides talk?

Originally Posted by jedblanks
What causes the conditions leading to valve failure can be debated. It's fairly clear the guide is beating it up, but the "why this happens" can still be debated.

What cannot be debated is:
a) they stock valves fail
b) they break at the weld of the 2pc valve

Remove B and retest. So far so good!
But you know that all of the points you make, will be lost on some. Right?

If WCCH had recommended new OEM valves to address the LS7 valve train issue, would you have followed their recommendation?
They didn't. So no need for me to deal in that hypothetical.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

I think it was mentioned to take any learnings from a supplier in the business of selling valves with a grain of salt. Good advice.

Excellent rebuttal point counter point...Nothing is obvious nor is their a simplistic reason as to what is causing some to go bad early and some to not show much significant wear at least beyond the service limit with many miles on it..

Common sense would argue against a single part being the culprit.

The OEM valve is a generic part, they would have to be endowed with a diabolical personality to decide on which vehicle they will strike and which will go unaffected irrespective of mileage.

This is a complex engineering (sorry non engineers) problem whose solution is suited to complex analytical modeling supported by testing to verify modelling..All of which costs bushels of money and time.

Absent this, the recriminations and insulting the usual list of suspects will continue..
Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

[QUOTE=ConfusedGarage;1583784048][QUOTE='06 Quicksilver Z06;1583783691]

I guess the valve manufacturers have no interest in selling their valves and making money. Go to your local car dealer and see if they'd TRY to sell you a new car when your old vehicle is in perfect running condition.

I'd say roughly 200 of the 28,000+ LS7s have your SS setup to answer your question directly. Is that about correct? I don't know how many OEM valves are running with bronze, but I know they have the same success rate when done by Richard at WCCH. If you want to pick apart sample sizes, bronze OEM vs bronze SS are both WAY too small to be statistically significant.

It's like this. I say we've never seen an OEM valve fail, EVER, without having witnessed guide wear at the same time. My theory is the faulty guides (for whatever reason on some - just don't know) eventually fail the valve, and all the data I see supports this to me. If there was a higher number of valve failures than guide failures (I'll call any guide out of spec at time of measurement a failure because that's what it is) I'd be in the camp that the valve was defective. There isn't so the data says to me, that is just not true.

You say Z06_505 had a valve failure without guide wear. I contacted him and he told me word for word his car had guide wear but has no interest in e-battles with certain folks on this forum.

Most mature adults can delineate between a discussion and and an argument, and they also know which is more helpful. That's how things get accomplished effectively. Nobody has to agree on everything, but trying to verbally steamroll people that have a different perspective only benefits one person. The steamroller. We can question and discuss the data points and how they fit into the picture, but few care to battle back and forth arguing.
Very well stated sir!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I guess the valve manufacturers have no interest in selling their valves and making money.
Just because they manufacture and sell valves, doesn't mean that all they say about this should be taken "with a grain of salt".

There are still honest and ethical manufacturers out there. .

.I'd say roughly 200 of the 28,000+ LS7s have your SS setup to answer your question directly. Is that about correct?
No. There are 220 that I have been able to find in here.

How many other owners outside of here, or even in here which I have not been able to identify, I don't know.

Also, not all 28,000 Z06 owners are in here.

So we don't know just how many have failed a stock exhaust valve.

....We can question and discuss the data points and how they fit into the picture, but few care to battle back and forth arguing.
Which is why I reply to your post in the manner which i did.

I merely asked you a few questions.

But if you want to believe that the only way one of these stock valves can snap a head off and fail, is if the guide it is in is grossly out of spec, and at a time when no one has the specs on all guides which had a valve fail inside of them, well then go ahead.

How far do your guides have to be out of spec for one to fail? Has anyone actually consistently shown just how far your guides have to be out of spec for one of the stock valves to snap off and window your block?

But go ahead. It's your wager.

But because there is arguably no practical benefit to making that wager, but instead considerable risk disproportionate to any benefit in making it, many of us choose not to make it.

But like I say, it's your car, so you're the one holding the dice.

I'm not one to tell you how to bet, but let me ask you, what do you "win" if you're right and what do you lose if you're wrong?

You feel lucky? . Anybody else?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-01-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:55 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

I realize you are trying to stir the pot and state there is always going to be "some wear" because i chose my words poorly when i stated "no wear" but in comparison to the other valves i have seen there is a night and day difference. valves running in worn guides have a large tapering section of coked oil on them, ones that have a crisp line showing the seating position of the stem in the guide can be seen as performing under the design intent. Any motorcycle valves/car valves i have seen have displayed this when working properly.

I communicated with the person who had the heads and was reworking them. he stated the guides were all within spec at 24k of primarily tracked miles. It is impossible for us to know what valve was in what guide because the owner disassembled the heads himself. But i can tell you all but two of the valves had very crisp carbon lines on them, the broken one looked very clean as well. Nothing compared to what my valves looked like.

I sent an email to the guy with the heads to see if he still has the data, so fingers crossed.

Last edited by 240sx2jz; 05-01-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally the Answer We've all Been....

Old 05-01-2013, 03:19 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
I realize you are trying to stir the pot and state there is always going to be "some wear" because i chose my words poorly when i stated "no wear" but in comparison to the other valves i have seen there is a night and day difference. valves running in worn guides have a large tapering section of coked oil on them, ones that have a crisp line showing the seating position of the stem in the guide can be seen as performing under the design intent. Any motorcycle valves/car valves i have seen have displayed this when working properly.

I communicated with the person who had the heads and was reworking them. he stated the guides were all within spec at 24k of primarily tracked miles. It is impossible for us to know what valve was in what guide because the owner disassembled the heads himself. But i can tell you all but two of the valves had very crisp carbon lines on them, the broken one looked very clean as well. Nothing compared to what my valves looked like.

I sent an email to the guy with the heads to see if he still has the data, so fingers crossed.
Well if it is Z06_505's heads, then it is the same person's heads that Confused Garage says that he has communicated directly with and heard from him just the opposite.

...You say Z06_505 had a valve failure without guide wear. I contacted him and he told me word for word his car had guide wear but has no interest in e-battles with certain folks on this forum.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Well if it is Z06_505's heads, then it is the same person's heads that Confused Garage says that he has communicated directly with and heard from him just the opposite.
I posted the spec sheet on those heads...they were all in spec
Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

In case all of you were wondering what the engine looks like. This is the motor in discussion here. Came out of my 07 z06. Owner was supposedly tracking it and was at 120mph when it went

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally the Answer We've all Been....