Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] More Z06 Woes....

Old 05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard that the Mustang Boss 302 is supposed to be built tough. If I hadn't fallen in love with the looks of the Vette I might have gone with a low miles used Boss and supercharged it.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Weren't you having some transmission issues Frank?
hmm funny you bring that up mine had the same issue at least the dealer said that. they told me the reverse gears was worn out. I get the car bring it to my shop tore into the trasmission myself to find all the gears are fine trans looks new No sign of wear. I alreay ordered the rebuild kit been working on it and finished up today. did it fix my reverse? Nope not at the least..

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-14-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

On the other hand, it would be a shame if you got the whine fixed and then sold it when that was the last remaining issue. In other words, you would be selling a reliable (?) fun car w/o any issues.

Tough decision either way, hope the whine is something minor/cheap.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Witt748
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't read the whole post the first time so I'm changing my post. I hope it ends up not being anything too serious.

Last edited by Witt748; 05-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm thinking it has something to do with your transmission Frank.

And that time on the dyno, dialing the tune in, probably didn't help it.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
I've heard that the Mustang Boss 302 is supposed to be built tough. If I hadn't fallen in love with the looks of the Vette I might have gone with a low miles used Boss and supercharged it.
The manual transmissions on the new GT and Boss are junk from everything I have heard, I wouldn't buy a new mustang unless it was an auto or 13+ GT500 because those have a better manual transmission
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM
mistermog
Drifting

I have nothing useful to add but would like to keep informed of what the cause turns out to be. Im hugely paranoid about my crank bolt since I don't really know how tight I got mine when I put it back in.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Dallasb84
Advanced

Just take it to a shop an diagnos it professionally. have yourself a beer while you wait. I used to get all worked up and freak out over things that pop up and surprise you but when it comes down to it 99% of the time people tend to sweat the small stuff. Stay calm and be happy that you own the most beautiful and one of the most powerful all around vehicles ever made. It's a car. Things break. But.... Not all car break and look this good go get it checked out first and make a game plan from there. I'm sure if its major there are plenty of local people that would love to help you out. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasb84
Just take it to a shop an diagnos it professionally. have yourself a beer while you wait. I used to get all worked up and freak out over things that pop up and surprise you but when it comes down to it 99% of the time people tend to sweat the small stuff. Stay calm and be happy that you own the most beautiful and one of the most powerful all around vehicles ever made. It's a car. Things break. But.... Not all car break and look this good go get it checked out first and make a game plan from there. I'm sure if its major there are plenty of local people that would love to help you out. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM
mistermog
Drifting

You -can- get a wrench on the balancer bolt if you just take off the intake tube (the filter to throttle body plastic thingy).

that would tell you if its moderately loose or not anyway.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked the crank bolt earlier after work today and its tight, and I took a look at the pulley etc.. while the car was running and it appears normal, no leakage or anything. When my C5 crank bolt went it was leaking prior obviously the seal

The car is at the Vette shop where I have the work done by trusted mechanic and friend. When I drove it over there, as I was shifting gears , I could hear the pitch of the whine change from gear to gear as they engaged, by change I mean it would stop for a split second as I shifted to the next gear, so I can't see how it is not the trans, unless its something in the rear end or axles or something

I reved the engine a bit higher in neutral (3500 RPM) and no whine or noise or anything

Again gears engage fine (except for R) , clutch and pedal feel are normal no slippage at all. I am hoping to hear something in the next few days

Originally Posted by Dallasb84
I hope you are right and I am wrong, I could be overreacting, but we will see. The bigger issue here is that I just spent a couple grand (actually more) on heads, tune, headers and install not even a month ago.,. had this happened before that I would have just addressed the problem and maybe have sold the car then...but now this comes right on the heals of that. Not to mention I was unlucky enough to also have to purchase all new TI intake valves , so even the heads were about 700 more than most are paying. Thats not my cars fault, but just very shtty luck on my part timing-wise.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Dallasb84
Advanced

Yeah it goes that way sometimes. I hope it's something minor. Wouldn't it be great to service the tranny and diff and the noise goes away?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Dallasb84
Advanced

I have a bit of the grinding in first gear at low speed and clunk in the rear end. Gonna change the fluids and hope it goes away.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked the crank bolt earlier after work today and its tight, and I took a look at the pulley etc.. while the car was running and it appears normal, no leakage or anything. When my C5 crank bolt went it was leaking prior obviously the seal

The car is at the Vette shop where I have the work done by trusted mechanic and friend. When I drove it over there, as I was shifting gears , I could hear the pitch of the whine change from gear to gear as they engaged, by change I mean it would stop for a split second as I shifted to the next gear, so I can't see how it is not the trans, unless its something in the rear end or axles or something

I reved the engine a bit higher in neutral (3500 RPM) and no whine or noise or anything

Again gears engage fine (except for R) , clutch and pedal feel are normal no slippage at all. I am hoping to hear something in the next few days

I hope you are right and I am wrong, I could be overreacting, but we will see. The bigger issue here is that I just spent a couple grand (actually more) on heads, tune, headers and install not even a month ago.,. had this happened before that I would have just addressed the problem and maybe have sold the car then...but now this comes right on the heals of that. Not to mention I was unlucky enough to also have to purchase all new TI intake valves , so even the heads were about 700 more than most are paying. Thats not my cars fault, but just very shtty luck on my part timing-wise.
I have a slight whine also, but my heads are ported, as is my intake manifold, I have a Callaway Honker as well, so I know now that mine is due to the increased airflow.

I've had at least on person tell me that the ported FAST intake manifold is a bit noisier than stock.

But when I first had the work done on the car, I could hear it. Very faint though and can still hear it.

What of the above mods do you have?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Frank

I got my fingers crossed for you

DH
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

Frank, you're in the last lap of a 100 lap race. Don't throw in the towel yet. I know it's easy for me to say...

You've been had one of the coolest heads through all this insanity. Don't reverse plans now. I'll say an automotive prayer for you. This board needs members like you!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 782 Likes on 455 Posts

I hope that it all turns out alright.

Did your mechanic not diagnose this a while ago when you car is being serviced? Maybe this was new, but it seems as though from your posts that he knew about it, so I am not sure why he would release the car to you if he knew there were problems (If this is the case).

Get notified of new replies

To More Z06 Woes....

Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear about the woes Frank. I know first hand about problems with the Z06. Let me just say that I bought my 07 with a lot of miles, 67k to be exact. And man did I go through some pain. I think it cost me about 15k to fix the issues, but when you buy AS-IS that's what happens. It was very dis-hearting as I also had to make payments while fixing.

All I can say Frank is whatever the problem was for me I just really didn't like anything else on the market. I sold my Pro-Street car for factory horsepower and I couldn't afford a ZR1.

Even now I'm buying parts to make the car look the way I want. Even if you bought another car the money it would take to make it handle and run like the Z would cost as much or more than fixing your car.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may buy another car with more problems, that may not make you feel as good as your Z06.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I have a slight whine also, but my heads are ported, as is my intake manifold, I have a Callaway Honker as well, so I know now that mine is due to the increased airflow.

I've had at least on person tell me that the ported FAST intake manifold is a bit noisier than stock.

But when I first had the work done on the car, I could hear it. Very faint though and can still hear it.

What of the above mods do you have?
Hey Ricky, I don't have a FAST, I do have the Halltech MF103, which has been known to whistle a bit, but this sound is a lot different, actually when I first heard the noise, I was kinda hoping it was that..but this whine..if you heard it in person you can tell;'s mechanical of some sort

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Frank

I got my fingers crossed for you

DH
Thanks Howie

Originally Posted by Undy
Frank, you're in the last lap of a 100 lap race. Don't throw in the towel yet. I know it's easy for me to say...

You've been had one of the coolest heads through all this insanity. Don't reverse plans now. I'll say an automotive prayer for you. This board needs members like you!
Undy, thanks much for the kind words and support my friend , hopefully I will know something in the next few days. and I can go from there.

Originally Posted by JG853
I hope that it all turns out alright.

Did your mechanic not diagnose this a while ago when you car is being serviced? Maybe this was new, but it seems as though from your posts that he knew about it, so I am not sure why he would release the car to you if he knew there were problems (If this is the case).
This is new, in fact, when the car was dynoed it was fine, and I just took a 400 mile road trip and had not one single noise or creek or whine or whatever, that was last week. It's been about a month since the mods and work where done. This noise just surfaced this week. My mechanic did not touch the trans, clutch or anything like that. He installed headers, CAI, catch can and swapped the heads, so the motor itself was never even opened or anything since I left the stock cam.

Originally Posted by JwT
Sorry to hear about the woes Frank. I know first hand about problems with the Z06. Let me just say that I bought my 07 with a lot of miles, 67k to be exact. And man did I go through some pain. I think it cost me about 15k to fix the issues, but when you buy AS-IS that's what happens. It was very dis-hearting as I also had to make payments while fixing.

All I can say Frank is whatever the problem was for me I just really didn't like anything else on the market. I sold my Pro-Street car for factory horsepower and I couldn't afford a ZR1.

Even now I'm buying parts to make the car look the way I want. Even if you bought another car the money it would take to make it handle and run like the Z would cost as much or more than fixing your car.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may buy another car with more problems, that may not make you feel as good as your Z06.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and some of that has been crossing my mind these last 2 days... performance wise, and money wise the obvious smart thing to do is just fix the car keep it, even if I need a whole new trans or clutch or whatever... but quite honestly knowing myself and personally feel about the car, I think I would resent it really and just be holding a grudge with the car angry with all the money I had to spend it kinda takes the fun out of it
...I know that sounds stupid but I would be willing to sacrifice performance for long term reliability at this point , and have a factory warranty on a new toy and put this behind me.

thanks again everyone for the kind words and support
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Best of luck Frank. So sorry to hear of the ongoing problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] More Z06 Woes....