Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just a Q on which z06 you would pick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just a Q on which z06 you would pick?

which z06 should i buy? i plan on driving it everyday to work and back
im looking to keep it stock and org wanted one with a warranty bc of the valvetrain issues bc i dont have 12k to buy an new ls7
but then i found number 2 for the same price packing 550 to the wheels

both z06's are the same price

1. 2008
black
40k miles
1 owner
all stock
3yrs and 80k miles left on the warranty

2. 2007
2007 LeMans Blue
31k miles
GT20 cam
Lingenfelter LS7 heads
LG long tube headers
Corsa exhaust

no warranty but has the heads from LPE so i shound have a problem driving this for the nxt 5yrs

what are yalls opnion on the 2?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
ghoust
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the modded one. If this is a daily driver, odds are you will rack up miles quicker meaning that your warranty will run out quicker. Its always best to get a vehicle which has the heads addressed. The only issue I see with it is that with the aftermarket cam you will experience a cam lope which might affect daily drivability.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'd probably go with option 2 but it would depend on who did the engine work on the car.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ghoust
Get the modded one. If this is a daily driver, odds are you will rack up miles quicker meaning that your warranty will run out quicker. Its always best to get a vehicle which has the heads addressed. The only issue I see with it is that with the aftermarket cam you will experience a cam lope which might affect daily drivability.
granted the 1st one is covered under the factory warranty for 3yrs and 80k more miles .......would it kill to keep it stock? as long as its covered?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by conner.mcgrath
granted the 1st one is covered under the factory warranty for 3yrs and 80k more miles .......would it kill to keep it stock? as long as its covered?

The Z06 is an amazing car stock. If I wasn't out of warranty I most likely wouldn't mod it.

I would go with option 1. More value in it. I stay FAR away from modded cars as its a good indication on how it was used. Don't forget the engine is only part of what can go bad. Abuse wears everything out and increasing the HP beyond stock makes it wear quicker.

Option #1 and enjoy it until the warranty expires.

BTW who is the warranty with?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Option 2.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by propain
The Z06 is an amazing car stock. If I wasn't out of warranty I most likely wouldn't mod it.

I would go with option 1. More value in it. I stay FAR away from modded cars as its a good indication on how it was used. Don't forget the engine is only part of what can go bad. Abuse wears everything out and increasing the HP beyond stock makes it wear quicker.

gm
the orginal owner bought it in 2008 cash for his son and purchased the 8yr 120k warranty
i talked to a local dealership and said i could also extend the warranty as long as i did if b4 the orginal one was up
Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1.

People keep forgetting that the engine isn't the only thing covered by the warranty.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

gm
the orginal owner bought it in 2008 cash for his son and purchased the 8yr 120k warranty
i talked to a local dealership and said i could also extend the warranty as long as i did if b4 the orginal one was up
I don't see them extending it beyond what you have but it could be worth a try.

#1 for sure if its a GMPP warranty. Enjoy the car worry free for the next 3 years.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say option 1 as well, specially since it meets your original criteria.
Are you going to track the car?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by propain

Also on the question of who is providing the warranty coverage. GMPP Major Guard is good. As with most modern cars there are more issues than drivetrain issues. The Z06 is an oddity because of the valve drop issue but there is a reason why car manufacturers offer extended duration drive train warranties. They don't usually fail. Major Guard will cover all of the very expensive electronic items that are not part of the drive train. Don't say you can repair them yourself unless you really know how to diagnose electronic issues and can afford to pay the stiff parts cost.

Bill
Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM
wstrysko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go with #1, and plan on extending the warranty, make sure you have the owner
sign a transfer within one month of purchase or you will not be able to purchase a extended warranty.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM
bdevault01
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Option #1 - anything that breaks on that car is expensive. Also, verify what is covered under that extended warranty before you purchase it, and make sure it's transferable to the new owner.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd stay away from the stock one. They tend to be seen by their owners as throw away cars and as a result are left sickenly stock .
Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Random84
Safety Car

both z06's are the same price

2. 2007
2007 LeMans Blue
31k miles
GT20 cam
Lingenfelter LS7 heads
LG long tube headers
Corsa exhaust

no warranty but has the heads from LPE so i shound have a problem driving this for the nxt 5yrs
Don't get me wrong, I'm typically a warranty/keep it stock guy... but given the age and mileage of these cars (and the potential hassle of an extended warranty); I'd lean towards the LeMans Blue.

The color is awesome, the heads "should" be good depending on what options were installed, and the rest of the mods are basically FREE on a car with lower miles. There are plenty of guys here that spend tens of thousands building up their cars... to park them at car shows every third weekend. IMHO, when you buy a used car you take your chances regardless of the known mods. I can't count how many "back to stock!" sales of performance parts I see on these forums; who knows if the ECM is original or not, what parts were on the car at one time and taken off, etc.

If the cam lope is not a turn off... there's several thousands in free mods on that car. If you ever thought to do an exhaust or a CAI - that's $1500+ right there you don't have to spend, and could put towards rebuilding the Lingenfelter heads as a project later on.

I'd say the better value is Option #2 hands down - the question remains, which car will help you sleep better at night? An unfixed "warrantied" car or a car that might be fixed but would be loads more fun (and look better doing it)?

Last edited by Random84; 07-24-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

the owner sent me pics of the org paperwork saying the warranty exp 5-20-2016
**** looks legit
Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Random84
Don't get me wrong, I'm typically a warranty/keep it stock guy... but given the age and mileage of these cars (and the potential hassle of an extended warranty); I'd lean towards the LeMans Blue.

The color is awesome, the heads "should" be good depending on what options were installed, and the rest of the mods are basically FREE on a car with lower miles. There are plenty of guys here that spend tens of thousands building up their cars... to park them at car shows every third weekend. IMHO, when you buy a used car you take your chances regardless of the known mods. If the cam lope is not a turn off... there's several thousands in free mods on that car. If you ever thought to do an exhaust or a CAI - that's $1500+ right there you don't have to spend, and could put towards rebuilding the heads in a few years.

I'd say the better value is Option #2 hands down - the question remains, which car will help you sleep better at night? An unfixed "warrantied" car or a car that might be fixed but would be loads more fun (and look better doing it)?
im just looking to dd the z06 untill its paid off
i allready went down the 35k in mods to make a car 1000hp capable
.....its been in the shop for 3yrs
i know a c6z isnt the fastest thing on the road and i dont want it to be
i want a bad *** car that i can drive everyday and not worry about replacing a 12k stock motor on my way to work bc i couldnt afford to replace it
ganted the LMB has all the mods and power i would want anyways period in the time i own the vette , i just would be in a HUGE hole if it took a *****

Get notified of new replies

To Just a Q on which z06 you would pick?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Find out WHO did the head install on #2, and what Lingenfelter package was selected (ie a receipt) - if it was a professional shop I think you'd be more or less in the clear and better than stock.

ETA: You have the same risk in the unmodded car - if anything many would think your risk could be greater in the stock car. You just can't know either way until you pull the heads, which is why the "valve issue" is such a big sting - no one wants to cross their fingers and wait.

The only difference is who's going to pay for the rebuild? A warranty might actually cover the rebuild, but you have to think about all the used parts they're going to recycle, how long it stays in the shop, etc if/when that stock car drops a valve.

Last edited by Random84; 07-24-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

and having a valve drop is catastrophic engine failure
****ed up head/piston/cyl walls ......ughhh
maybe i just cant affored a z06 bc the motor might GRENADE
and why are the ls7 crate motors so damn costly?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Random84
Find out WHO did the head install on #2, and what Lingenfelter package was selected (ie a receipt) - if it was a professional shop I think you'd be more or less in the clear and better than stock.

ETA: You have the same risk in the unmodded car - if anything many would think your risk could be greater in the stock car. You just can't know either way until you pull the heads, which is why the "valve issue" is such a big sting - no one wants to cross their fingers and wait.

The only difference is who's going to pay for the rebuild? A warranty might actually cover the rebuild, but you have to think about all the used parts they're going to recycle, how long it stays in the shop, etc if/when that stock car drops a valve.
number 2 bought the car as is and said he had it checked out ...... but i dont trust ppl without paper trails so damn

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just a Q on which z06 you would pick?