Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Small car fire

Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Small car fire

Had a small fire under my 2006 z06 rear. Looks like hard brake line ruptured onto hot exhaust as line goes down to Lt rear. We were able to get it out with an extinguisher and water. Rear cmpt Carpet was smoldering and had some flames from under car. Obviously I will contact insurance. I'm cleaning extinguisher residue now. Any other caveats? Driver window stuck 1/3 down, no e brake no brakes obviously ( no fluid). I pulled left rear off and cleaned area really well. Thx

Last edited by urslooow; 07-21-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Ouch. If that isn't an endorsement for SS brake lines, I can't imagine what is.

Good luck getting it squared away. I am glad I decided to put SS lines on mine.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

I have SS lines, the break was in the hard line. SS lines are intact. Has stop tech rotors and calipers, suspension setup, motons, r6, headers, exhaust w/ heat wrap! programming seats belts
Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by urslooow
I have SS lines, the break was in the hard line. SS lines are intact. Has stop tech rotors and calipers, suspension setup, motons, r6, headers, exhaust w/ heat wrap! programming seats belts
Wow. I'll be paying careful attention to mine, that's for sure.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:11 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

If you have had it since new, I have to wonder if where you live in FL. has a salty air environment that corroded the line?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 PM
amoahkuc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I saw a similar failure just 2 weeks ago on a buddy's car of mine at PIR. He was on his first session at a track day with brand new calipers, and race pads and had the front drivers side brake line rupture at over +70mph.

Luckily he was able to spin the car without hitting anything, but when he was coasting the car into the pits the fluid caught on fire. We were able to put it out, rinse the car off, with only minor paint damage to the calipers, and were able to install a custom SS brake line and make the last two sessions of the track.

The hose sheared off right after the fitting that goes to the caliper and the shop that replaced his calipers hung the calipers with wire as to not stress the stock brake lines during the install. I believe that if you drive the car hard, then you should upgrade the brake lines to SS.

Chris AK
Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by amoahkuc
Sorry to hear that. I saw a similar failure just 2 weeks ago on a buddy's car of mine at PIR. He was on his first session at a track day with brand new calipers, and race pads and had the front drivers side brake line rupture at over +70mph.

Luckily he was able to spin the car without hitting anything, but when he was coasting the car into the pits the fluid caught on fire. We were able to put it out, rinse the car off, with only minor paint damage to the calipers, and were able to install a custom SS brake line and make the last two sessions of the track.

The hose sheared off right after the fitting that goes to the caliper and the shop that replaced his calipers hung the calipers with wire as to not stress the stock brake lines during the install. I believe that if you drive the car hard, then you should upgrade the brake lines to SS.

Chris AK
Yes I agree that's why I have them. Car is at dealer insurance gave me a claim #. Let's see what adjuster says. Spent 3 hrs cleaning car up this am. I can only write about the panic I felt as flames were shooting out from under my car!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

despite looking pretty good and starting up, ins co may want to total the vette due to cost of repair. I was trying to talk the adjuster out of this route since I have alot of $ in parts. just put in a new torque tube, drive shaft, aftermarket couplings, quartermaster clutch and slave and new ati balancer.Not to mention the stoptech brake system and motons So far Ins says they are up to $20k. rear cargo pan, carpet, rear harness, brake lines, fuel lines, B&B mufflers, and e-brake need to be replaced not to mention what they'd find in tear down. dealer thinks he can do everything for $16-17k. Adjuster is telling me she's ltd by law how much she can fix, if it's 80% of "value" then she must total the car. The vette is obviously worth a lot more to me since it would cost much more to get all those parts put in
Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

despite looking pretty good and starting up, ins co may want to total the vette due to cost of repair. I was trying to talk the adjuster out of this route since I have alot of $ in parts. just put in a new torque tube, drive shaft, aftermarket couplings, quartermaster clutch and slave and new ati balancer.Not to mention the stoptech brake system and motons So far Ins says they are up to $20k. rear cargo pan, carpet, rear harness, brake lines, fuel lines, B&B mufflers, and e-brake need to be replaced not to mention what they'd find in tear down. dealer thinks he can do everything for $16-17k. Adjuster is telling me she's ltd by law how much she can fix, if it's 80% of "value" then she must total the car. The vette is obviously worth a lot more to me since it would cost much more to get all those parts put in
Well, if they total it, you could always buy it back and part it out.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Its rare that a hard line would break unless something was rubbing against it. Has anybody been able to tell what caused it to break?

Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fine, let then total it. Just not before you strip it of all your aftermarket parts.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Can I just buy the whole car back and fix it myself
Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

It may be worth talking to the adjuster about using some used parts in the repair. There is plenty of used carpet that is in excellent shape and there are probably other parts that could just as well be purchased used as well. Harnesses and eBrake lines are a couple I can think of that would be candidates.

Think of it this way: Everybody drives on used parts.

Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, but you'll end up with a salvage title.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:06 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Adjuster is writing up for a lot of unnecessary stuff like mufflers which she said were $1600 ea side I corrected her B and B $1800 max
Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218
Fine, let then total it. Just not before you strip it of all your aftermarket parts.
Originally Posted by EViL427
Yes, but you'll end up with a salvage title.

then turn it into a dedicated track car...
Old 07-28-2013, 01:34 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strip it, cage it, race it!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:02 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

let em total it and buy it back for pennys on the dollar.

Get notified of new replies

To Small car fire

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Small car fire