Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 06 Z06 vs.08 Viper race?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by camirocz
they are going from 40 mph and what about the viper s traction problems?It makes a lot more torque than the vette and will spin even more.The race should be a very close one.Rolling races dont require that much skill,all you do is put the pedal down wait for 7000 rpm and shift.No big deal.The standing start is where this race would be won or lost but this is irrelevant since they are going from a roll.
At 40 mph the Viper won't have any traction problems it will hook up and go (just like the vette) as obviously there will not be any down shifting in this race and lets assume both cars start in the proper gear.

The Viper's massive torque is an issue getting it out of the hole as you reference above and I like the C6 Zs chances better if it was a drag race from a standing stop, as that takes more driver skill and better driver wins that race.

Either way, both cars are close enough to make this a driver's race, but Viper chances will increase from a 40 mile an hour to 150 mph race.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 08-06-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

the viper is a much more difficult car to ring out on the road course. That is where driver difference can make a LOT of difference.
Dont get me wrong the newer Viper is a force to be reckoned with--but things like lift throttle oversteer are much more prominent on the viper. The viper has come a long way though.
For example Car and driver lighting laps at vir has the viper srt 10 turning a 2:57, the corvette zo6 a 2:53. That is a huge difference
Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Two chances, slim and none
Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

My money is on the Viper. It's not a drivers race unless your buddy sucks at driving.

Now mod your car and get another 100 HP!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:37 AM
superramvette2
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 59 Posts

Guys I am going to disagree. I had an 08 Viper vert for a while and I also have a ls7 c5 with cam and bolt ons. I raced a couple z06's and got walked hard. Both were not stock. My c5 ls7 would leave the viper like it was sitting still and they dynoed the same power within a few horsepower.

And the viper will spin at 40 mph if it is in first gear. Mine would easy on stock tires. They are also hard to shift fast with stock shifter, the throw was always weird to me and seemed like it was WAY too long.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olddragger
the viper is a much more difficult car to ring out on the road course. That is where driver difference can make a LOT of difference.
Dont get me wrong the newer Viper is a force to be reckoned with--but things like lift throttle oversteer are much more prominent on the viper. The viper has come a long way though.
For example Car and driver lighting laps at vir has the viper srt 10 turning a 2:57, the corvette zo6 a 2:53. That is a huge difference
Same day, same driver? When they were tested at VIR, same day/driver, the Viper edged out the Vette and was much easier to drive at the limit. (according to C&D, Oct., 2007).
Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Originally Posted by kumar75150
This guy I know's z06 with headers/cai and 484whp lost by 2-3 car lengths to a stock 08 Viper.

its on youtube "2008 Viper SRT-10 Coupe vs. 2007 C6 Z06"
I was there the night malu59rt went 10.9@129 and my buddies bolt-on C6Z went 10.9@129 at the same track...what rpm was that race started at, what was he shifting at and did the viper have a passenger as well? Should be a drivers race at that level. Heck my h/c FRC trapped 127mph with only 422rwhp and I've beaten a bolt-on Gen3 Viper.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Z06-1
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Just roll 1 st gear to get traction ,then redline second and third on your Z . That viper won't know what him him .
Old 08-17-2013, 10:48 PM
jnv255
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First run was against a Viper... Last run I had a terrible launch, but still had faster MPH, which is all that matters at these events. Car had a vararam and tune only then.
My car also dynoed higher than a GTS viper did, he had more Tq, but less HP. My car was stock, he had an intake and exhaust. Both the viper and my car were on my old mustang dyno, so....
Here's some GoPro footage
Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

No one has still really answered his question. I'd find out what speed the Viper tops out at in 1st gear and adjust your starting speed to that. If you can start out in 1st gear while he's in 2nd gear that could give you an edge. I doubt his car will do 60 in 1st gear, but I really don't know for sure.

I would definitely shift at 7K. Yes, I know that power drops off before 7K, but you have to remember that a little less power with a lower gear is better than more power with a steep gear.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Coach62
No one has still really answered his question. I'd find out what speed the Viper tops out at in 1st gear and adjust your starting speed to that. If you can start out in 1st gear while he's in 2nd gear that could give you an edge. I doubt his car will do 60 in 1st gear, but I really don't know for sure.

I would definitely shift at 7K. Yes, I know that power drops off before 7K, but you have to remember that a little less power with a lower gear is better than more power with a steep gear.
I do know for a fact that the 2008 to 2010, Viper SRT 10s, achieve 62 miles per hour in first gear. I have both read up on that fact and verified that in my 2009 Viper SRT 10 Coupe.

JNV255,

That is an awesome 1/2 mile event you attended great video and that Georgia scenery looks great as the straight way does also (sweet)!

What year Viper is that that you ran and beat from a standing stop? The 2008-10 Vipers are a bear to hook up out of the hole with the 560 ft lbs gobs of torque they make along with their 600 ponies. Ask me how I know. In a straigtline last night with oem tires I had to get out of the throttle hammering my 2009 Viper in 2nd gear, after coming in strong from 1st gear, or I would have ended up in a ditch.

Equal drivers the 2008-10 Viper SRT 10s are a little bit faster in all performance catergorys vs a C6 Z, but they are definintely close enough to be a drivers race, and as I posted earlier the OP stands a much better chance winning in a drag race from a standing stop versus the roll race he talks about starting at around 40 miles per hour. Still a driver's race though, all about who starts off in the best/proper gear for the speed they start their roll race from and who is the better driver.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 08-18-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:01 AM
jnv255
Pro

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
I do know for a fact that the 2008 to 2010, Viper SRT 10s, achieve 62 miles per hour in first gear. I have both read up on that fact and verified that in my 2009 Viper SRT 10 Coupe.

JNV255,

That is an awesome 1/2 mile event you attended great video and that Georgia scenery looks great as the straight way does also (sweet)!

What year Viper is that that you ran and beat from a standing stop? The 2008-10 Vipers are a bear to hook up out of the hole with the 560 ft lbs gobs of torque they make along with their 600 ponies. Ask me how I know. In a straigtline last night with oem tires I had to get out of the throttle hammering my 2009 Viper in 2nd gear, after coming in strong from 1st gear, or I would have ended up in a ditch.

Equal drivers the 2008-10 Viper SRT 10s are a little bit faster in all performance catergorys vs a C6 Z, but they are definintely close enough to be a drivers race, and as I posted earlier the OP stands a much better chance winning in a drag race from a standing stop versus the roll race he talks about starting at around 40 miles per hour. Still a driver's race though, all about who starts off in the best/proper gear for the speed they start their roll race from and who is the better driver.
Not sure on the year, but you're right, they have a hard time hooking up. The OP would have a better chance from a dig, but as I said, the GTS viper I dynoed 2yrs ago made less HP with an intake and exhaust than my car did stock, but not by much.... He had me Tq wise. It would be a drivers race.
Hopefully my car will be finished for the next half mile next month as ill have another 130hp than what I had last go around... It's gonna be close on making it
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jnv255
Not sure on the year, but you're right, they have a hard time hooking up. The OP would have a better chance from a dig, but as I said, the GTS viper I dynoed 2yrs ago made less HP with an intake and exhaust than my car did stock, but not by much.... He had me Tq wise. It would be a drivers race.
Hopefully my car will be finished for the next half mile next month as ill have another 130hp than what I had last go around... It's gonna be close on making it
The reasn I ask b/c Viper got a 90 HP increase in 2008 where the HP went from 510 ponies (2003, 2004, etc) up to 600 ponies in the 2008-10 model years. THe brand new Viper GTS now out as a 2013 model makes 640 n/a ponies.

Good luck with your Z and your future plans for it, they are truely AWESEOME cars but the valve train issue was definitely one factor that eventually made me recently go to the dark side after 20 years. This was also another factor in not getting a ZR1, b/c the LS9 issues looks like they might be also be suffering from premature valve guide ware. An looking forward to the future I would have liked the C7 but that UGLY entire rear end makes me not like the C7 at all (not to mention its underpowered, ridicoulus the C7 did not have 500 ponies).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 08-18-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

The reasn I ask b/c Viper got a 90 HP increase in 2008 where the HP went from 510 ponies (2003, 2004, etc) up to 600 ponies in the 2008-10 model years. THe brand new Viper GTS now out as a 2013 model makes 640 n/a ponies.

Good luck with your Z and your future plans for it, they are truely AWESEOME cars but the valve train issue was definitely one factor that eventually made me recently go to the dark side after 20 years. This was also another factor in not getting a ZR1, b/c the LS9 issues looks like they might be also be suffering from premature valve guide ware. An looking forward to the future I would have liked the C7 but that UGLY entire rear end makes me not like the C7 at all (not to mention its underpowered, ridicoulus the C7 did not have 500 ponies).
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Here is a youtube video of a stock 2008 Viper walking pretty easily a 2007 C6 Z06 with headers and a tune, from a roll race.

Several important variables here such as did the vette start off in the proper gear etc., but the OP certainly has an up hill battle from a roll race if the Viper owner knows how to drive.

Have fun, we want more video.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

z06 was in the wrong gear for sure.I dont doubt the viper would creep away slowly had they had a fair start but this is not representative of what really happens when two of these cars meet.If you look at their trap speeds in the quarter mile they are pretty close.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

that porsche turbo was fast.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Exactly!

Originally Posted by yellowzron
I would say go get a tune, it will really really help, and get a drag radial. You will need a drag radial without a doubt. You will only spin and spin on the stock goodyear run flat. If you have a tune a drag radial, and go out and practice on your launches you WILL win. The launch is a big deal, you need to go out and practice, but oh well it will be fun. If you guys get the race done post a video somewhere and let us know what happens. Dont race him on the run flat, you will lose for sure.
I was just thinking that! Given it’s not a race from a "dig" rather a 40 roll, that'll help. I'd start in 2nd gear and shift at 7K RPM. But definitely get a set of NT05R drag radial (Nitto 345/30/19's) AND A TUNE! I think you'll do fine.

Do you know if he's driven a Viper before? It's a TOTALLY different animal. Its BRUT FORCE! Entirely uncontrollable for the average driver. I don't even think it has traction control. My guess is the car will be too much for him and even if you don't have a lot of driver's skill, the traction control (Competitive Driving Mode) will be a huge advantage to you.

Again, if he's new to that car without much experience driving specifically a Viper.... Then I'd wager on your driving skill that you'll walk his A$$. Call me over confident in our Z's but I stand by that if you get a tune and some DR tires and ditch the "Run Craps"

Let us know how it goes...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Give me a break. The valve train issue is way overblown if you talk to any of the mechanics - and it's easily fixed. The $3K it costs to fix is less than you'd lose on a trade in.

I bought mine knowing of the issue just a few weeks ago. I just figured in the cost of new heads in the cost of ownership.

If you can't afford to put a few $$$ into your car then you just can't afford the car anyway, sorry just the facts.

To me, it's an opportunity to port the heads and change the cam at the same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 06 Z06 vs.08 Viper race?