Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Emissions Problem - Smog Test Due Soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Emissions Problem - Smog Test Due Soon

I have a month before I need to get a smog test done and need some help diagnosing the problem.

About 6 weeks ago, I got a check engine light to come on. I then proceeded to get the error code and it was a P0431 error - this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system. I then proceeded to clear this error and see if it would come back.

It has not come back, but one of the diagnostic checks in the computer has not run. The EVA test (Evaporative System) has still not run and hence I will not pass a smog test. Since then, I have put several hundred miles on the car. I did change the battery a few weeks ago for a different problem and this meant that all the tests had to be run again. I did have a 2nd test that did not run, which was the CAT test, but that has since run.

So what does this EVA test do and how do I get it to run? Here is a copy of the GM Driving Cycle test which supposedly runs all these tests. It is hard to run these tests on the freeways here in Los Angeles. Which specific test(s) is for the Evaporative System?

Is their anything I can check under the hood? My car does have a tune and a Halltech air intake.

General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:
1.Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2.Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3.Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4.Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5.Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6.Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7.Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8.Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Are you sure they will not pass with 1 code not done? Most states are like that since the evap needs specific temps/etc to run. You probably can't even get it to run in the summer or when it is really cold. Basically all you can do is keep driving it, and hope the weather cools off so it will run.

If you are willing to tune the car a tuner can adjust the test to be complete.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:17 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Most states do indeed allow one not ready and still pass. The republic of CA may be a bit different.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
Are you sure they will not pass with 1 code not done? Most states are like that since the evap needs specific temps/etc to run. You probably can't even get it to run in the summer or when it is really cold. Basically all you can do is keep driving it, and hope the weather cools off so it will run.

If you are willing to tune the car a tuner can adjust the test to be complete.
I really don't know if I could pass with one not being done. In California I would doubt it.

I am not sure why the EVA test would not run. It has been very hot in so cal, but the coolant should not be above 122°F when sitting in my garage. I would think the coolant and ambient would be within 11°F.

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup

If I cannot figure out how to get this test run, then I will probably turn to my tuner.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Most states do indeed allow one not ready and still pass. The republic of CA may be a bit different.
Nope - big red flag as I understand it.

Just another reason to hate this state.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Leo

I suggest coming out to ACS on Sunday. I'm sure a couple of hours on the track will run all the tests. Explain this to your wife as being necessary to pass smog. Assure her you are not going to have fun

DH
Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

From the sometimes reliable and sometimes unreliable internet:

California smog check regulations allow for one (1) incomplete or not ready
monitor. All the reset of the emission monitors must be "complete' or
"ready". Furthermore, the Catalyst Monitor is the one monitor that must be
complete if the vehicle previously had any emissions defects causing that monitor not to be ready; and the vehicle is (after repairs) being retested.

posted by SmogTips Support 10-05-10 09:29 AM

Also you might put on a new gas cap as that is the most common reason for evap cycle not to complete.

Last edited by pkincy; 09-03-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Doing the driving cycle thing isn't necessary. If you can get me a copy of your tune using HP Tuners I know how to tweak it to have all your systems show as ready before you even fire up the car.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Some things are best discussed in pms, remember NSA is listening and don't they own GM?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Doing the driving cycle thing isn't necessary. If you can get me a copy of your tune using HP Tuners I know how to tweak it to have all your systems show as ready before you even fire up the car.
agreed, subfloor and i just did this to my car, worked great passed no problem, i wasted so much time and fuel trying to get the monitors set and ready and they would never set, just do it the easy hptuner way
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

It isn't the coolant/etc, it is the ambient temp/etc. Like I said, Arizona and many states have to allow 1 not ready because the stupid evap won't even run 3/4 of the year.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I don't have a copy of my tune nor HP tuners.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pkincy
From the sometimes reliable and sometimes unreliable internet:

California smog check regulations allow for one (1) incomplete or not ready
monitor. All the reset of the emission monitors must be "complete' or
"ready". Furthermore, the Catalyst Monitor is the one monitor that must be
complete if the vehicle previously had any emissions defects causing that monitor not to be ready; and the vehicle is (after repairs) being retested.

posted by SmogTips Support 10-05-10 09:29 AM

Also you might put on a new gas cap as that is the most common reason for evap cycle not to complete.
I might have to call a smog shop to see if this is true.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Leo

I suggest coming out to ACS on Sunday. I'm sure a couple of hours on the track will run all the tests. Explain this to your wife as being necessary to pass smog. Assure her you are not going to have fun

DH
Good one Howie, I am going to pass on ACS. I am going to Spring Mountain, however. That is a great track. Are you going?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5Lion
Good one Howie, I am going to pass on ACS. I am going to Spring Mountain, however. That is a great track. Are you going?
No, too far for me

But I will be going to WSIR the following weekend

DH
Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got bad info then. When I smogged my diesel last year, I was told all had to be ready.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
No, too far for me

But I will be going to WSIR the following weekend

DH
What do you mean too far? Pack the car up and make a weekend out of it. Bring the wife, she'll love Pahrump. We plan on heading up to vegas for a few days afterward.

Get notified of new replies

To Emissions Problem - Smog Test Due Soon

Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5Lion
What do you mean too far? Pack the car up and make a weekend out of it. Bring the wife, she'll love Pahrump. We plan on heading up to vegas for a few days afterward.
That would mean being in the car with my wife all that time

DH
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe if your check engine light is on, the car will not pass smog even with only one readiness monitor set to Not Ready. Are you sure you did not get a P0430 code. I had a check engine come on in my 09 shortly after purchase. After pulling the code, it indicated inefficient catalyst. The car only had 6400 mi on it. I did a search on the code in the Z06 section of this forum and found there was a TSB for certain VINs with this issue and the dealer installed an updated PCM tune that resolved the issue. Code has not come back since.

Here is the post.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-cat-code.html
Old 09-05-2013, 12:01 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SUPERCRUZ
I believe if your check engine light is on, the car will not pass smog even with only one readiness monitor set to Not Ready. Are you sure you did not get a P0430 code. I had a check engine come on in my 09 shortly after purchase. After pulling the code, it indicated inefficient catalyst. The car only had 6400 mi on it. I did a search on the code in the Z06 section of this forum and found there was a TSB for certain VINs with this issue and the dealer installed an updated PCM tune that resolved the issue. Code has not come back since.

Here is the post.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-cat-code.html
As I said in my first post, I did originally have a P0430 code which triggered the Check Engine Light. I reset it to see if it would come back and it has not, nor has the CEL. I reset it 5 or 6 weeks ago and the error code has not come back.

I just need to get that damn Evaporator Test to run and assuming it passes I can then get my smog test. I still have some time before I need to do this, but I am getting impatient.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Emissions Problem - Smog Test Due Soon