Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Have there ever been any reports of SS valves dropping?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I hope my new PRC265 heads with Ti intakes and SS exhausts with dual springs(up to .675" lift) using my stock cam, is the fix. From what I've read in other posts, bounce is not a problem unless you go above 6800 RPM. Very seldom do I go above 6500 RPM, so I'm not worried.
I often shift at red line at the drag strip so I am. I'm also not looking to gimp my performance for a "fix".
Old 09-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

People can also guess about bounce based off katechs testing but they only tested a few combos. Who knows what a stock cam with PRC .675 springs would do. It maybe fine to 7500, or could be "bouncing" at 6k. They tested with a torquer cam if I recall and we all know the cam lobe and lift would have a huge effect, plus they test a set of BT springs. There are tons of other springs with more or less pressure so who knows.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:01 PM
adamgl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
My question if anybody knows..... has any 10,000+ mile plus SS valves with bronze guides combinations been tested at each valve for guide wear via the wiggle test or any other testing ?

That should tell us a lot.... if they are showing significant wear, then perhaps the problem has not been fixed, if they are checking out well within spec.... then I would guess its problem solved. We know with the stock configuration, wear on most valves was either on its way to being out of spec or already there....if no significant wear is evident on the SS+Bronze combination.... then it seems logical the world is a good place and we can all live happily ever after.
(I realize this may have been answered in other threads, but I haven't been reading them.... sorry if repetitive)

I hope SS+Bronze has solved the problem.... if not, I just threw away thousands of dollars.

btw, anybody here know what Darin Morgan says about the subject ?

thanks.
I had some WCCH stage 2 heads done in late 2009 with Solid Stainless and stock guides. (Before I owned car, I'm guessing around 10,000 miles on that setup) A few months ago I sent them out (again) and got bronze guides, the stock ones had the 'normal' out of spec wear.
So Solid Stainless exh. and stock guides wasn't good on mine. Hope bronze do better.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:02 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I just feel like a few points needed to be made. I'm not interested in talking to a brick wall. I know that doesn't get u very far. So sorry if I opt out of the pointless back and forth with you Mark.
Propain feels differently than I do and that's fine but at least you can have reasonable discussion with him.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgl
I had some WCCH stage 2 heads done in late 2009 with Solid Stainless and stock guides. (Before I owned car, I'm guessing around 10,000 miles on that setup) A few months ago I sent them out (again) and got bronze guides, the stock ones had the 'normal' out of spec wear.
So Solid Stainless exh. and stock guides wasn't good on mine. Hope bronze do better.
Yeah, it seems that there have been some instances of excessive guide wear when doing a fix involving just changing the valves to solid stainless, but staying with the stock powdered metal guides.

Darin Morgan, in an earlier post, stated very well his position on the bronze guides in these engines, and indicated that this was the way to go on the guides.

His customers in here, also run solid stainless exhaust valves.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
There are 3 descriptions of failed SS valves that I can find on this forum..

1. Madsen, whom is referred to in the above post by Clarksz06

2. 1stZ whom I will familiarize you with in the following text.

3. Corvee, who shows a pic of a bent SS valve with the head snapped off it.

1. Madsen. Broke a stock exhaust valve, running a cam setup, done by an unknown shop, but apparently using stock exhaust valves.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1571835806

Following that incident, he alludes to his rebuild following the mishap, in the posts below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1569346169

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1568963370

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1568881318

The description of the failure incident a few years later of a rebuild, was made in the following posts The second rebuild was using SS valves.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-at-strip.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...the-count.html

The carnage was evaluated here, and a description of what was found, i.e. stock valve guides, was made in the following post.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...#post158479550

The following post indicates that Madsen thought that he was on bronze guides in this particular engine.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1584068005

2. 1stZ. Also failed a stock exhaust valve before having his engine rebuilt. After his stock valve failure, he describes his subsequent failure, the rebuild failure, in the following posts.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-the-road.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1574525676

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1574483942

From my perusal, and from what I can gather, it appears to me, that both Madsen and 1stZ were customers of the same shop at one time or another. I encourage anyone else interested to look at the posts as well as they may come up with a different assessment.

That said, I can find no mention of the word "bronze" being made by 1stZ when I search his posts. Again, I encourage anyone else to search as well, but I could find no instance.

3. Corvee. Corvee mentions a SS valve failure, and shows a pic of a bent SS valve with the head off of it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1584770192

This also happened in a rebuild following a stock failure.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1577078598

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ged-build.html

What I gather from the 3 described failures of SS valves here, is that at least one of the cars referred to above, was said by the person who examined the damaged cylinder head, to be running stock valve guides, which were found to be shot, when the engine was torn down and inspected.

The second car, I could find no information on what valve guides had been used along with it's reported SS valves. Furthermore, a perusal of the owner's posts will indicate that this car was beaten on quite a bit, with multiple 190mph runs, finally failing at 150mph and during a time when the owner knew that the engine needed to be overhauled but admits that he did not have the funds to do so, and kept beating on it anyway.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1574525676

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1574483942

The third car, shows a bent valve, missing it's head, said to have been due to "valve bounce".

Currently, there are 283 members of this forum who say that they are running a heavier than stock exhaust valve, of one material, type, solid or hybrid hollow/solid or another.

What is commonly referred to as; "The Fix", is widely held, among many professional shops as well as enthusiasts, to be the use of solid stemmed stainless steel valves and bronze valve guides.
Very well constructed and researched. A must read for anyone with the same question as the OP.

I just had a GM Corvette Tech at my house assessing my motor after throwing a belt at the track. He agrees the fix is a must for hard driven cars. He actually had to deal with a quide wear warranty and was given special directions by GM corp on how to do the now documented wiggle test. This was several years ago !!!!

Oh, and it was his opinion that the OEM valves did too good a job removing head and the guides can't take it .........

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 09-13-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:20 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Very well constructed and researched. A must read for anyone with the same question as the OP.

I just had a GM Corvette Tech at my house assessing my motor after throwing a belt at the track. He agrees the fix is a must for hard driven cars. He actually had to deal with a quide wear warranty and was given special directions by GM corp on how to do the now documented wiggle test. This was several years ago !!!!

Oh, and it was his opinion that the OEM valves did too good a job removing head and the guides can't take it .........

DH
DH, I assume you meant removing the "heat" not "head". Did he say switching to bronze guides would handle the heat better?
Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
It's just like a free market, this matter will "correct" or "govern" itself.

If this approach was falling, and owners "taking a number" and "lining up" to report instances of engine failure due to "valve bounce" well then you couldn't pay people to spend good money and continue to do it.

If it (the use of Solid stainless exhaust valves) were failing, and leaving a junkyard full of broken engines in behind it, then it would have gone the way of the dinosaur by now, as it has been in use since late 2005.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:40 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
Bounce damage within 1500 miles with a comp cam with reasonably gentle lobes. I Highly doubt it. There are many of us here with SS valves with 10-20 times that mileage .
The thing that is curious to me, and hopefully someone can answer it, is that if the damaged stem that is being discussed is due to valve bounce, then why is it the only one damaged?

Aren't they all the same weight and running the same springs?

Was it only that one valve "bouncing"?

I'm wondering why all 8 of the heavy valves wouldn't have been "bouncing" and ended up with chewed up stems.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

If as some believe, the problem is one of bad geometry (concentricity of valve seat to guide) simply replacing guides will not make the problem go away...Heads that have been re-worked apparently have addressed this problem..?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

While we're on the subject, can anyone post pics of the damage caused by valve bounce?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:34 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
If as some believe, the problem is one of bad geometry (concentricity of valve seat to guide) simply replacing guides will not make the problem go away...Heads that have been re-worked apparently have addressed this problem..?
Right, just replacing guides would not address it, but a valve job would.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ta-thread.html

I'm also not the biggest believer in concentricity being the sole issue. That would be any easy fix with offset guides...especially if we're talking thousandths of an inch. Now, compile the off-center by a few thou guide AND improper rocker arm geometry exacerbating each other...and you have a recipe for disaster. Sorry to throw another log on the fire.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:11 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
The thing that is curious to me, and hopefully someone can answer it, is that if the damaged stem that is being discussed is due to valve bounce, then why is it the only one damaged?

Aren't they all the same weight and running the same springs?

Was it only that one valve "bouncing"?

I'm wondering why all 8 of the heavy valves wouldn't have been "bouncing" and ended up with chewed up stems.
Extremely Good point but it will not matter.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
DH, I assume you meant removing the "heat" not "head". Did he say switching to bronze guides would handle the heat better?
Yes "heat". And he was referring to the reasons he prefers SS valves. He also stated there are many times a SS valve will just bend and not lose the head of the valve, like the OEM hollow tends to do.

DH
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Maybe it had an encounter of the mild kind..
Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

The bronze guides that Richard at WCCH uses are longer than the OEM. This may have a dramatic affect on wear.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Have there ever been any reports of SS valves dropping?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

It wont matter clark because the information was quickly removed and hidden. If something like that is okay with you then continue to be led by the blind. Once again it wont matter because there is no data only talk. It won't matter because most of what you are backing up is based on nothing but talk and a huge lack of data.

Ask yourself why the thread was yanked less than 1 hour after it was posted. Ask yourself why if it seemed so benign why was it removed. Because the info would have been damaging to what is being fed as a fix and a lot of unhappy people who just got it done would start asking questions. His silence was purchased. Its called big business.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

My question if anybody knows..... has any 10,000+ mile plus SS valves with bronze guides combinations been tested at each valve for guide wear via the wiggle test or any other testing ?
Yes.

if they are showing significant wear,
They are, in some instances. In at least one other instance, they are not. Oddly enough, just like the OEM setup (not all show significant wear).

then perhaps the problem has not been fixed,
There was really never any doubt that 'The Fix' has nothing to do with the root cause of the issue, beyond a simple quality rebuild of the heads which could be accomplished just as well with the stock parts. It's been snake oil from start to present, but then a sure fire cure is always popular... at least until you run out of rubes. Any money spent to rebuild your heads has probably not been wasted, as long as you had guide wear to start with. Whether the parts used are compatible with the original design goals of the engine is another matter.

btw, anybody here know what Darin Morgan says about the subject ?
I think everybody knows what he says, since it has been repeated incessantly as it tends to support those that cheerlead 'The Fix'. Unfortunately, what he says is directly contradicted by what others of similar reputation say, at least with respect to guide material. There is a lot of shooting in the dark on this issue... some claim to be hitting a target that they quite honestly can't even see

Last edited by Mark2009; 09-13-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I just feel like a few points needed to be made. I'm not interested in talking to a brick wall. I know that doesn't get u very far. So sorry if I opt out of the pointless back and forth with you Mark.
Propain feels differently than I do and that's fine but at least you can have reasonable discussion with him.
That's what, your 4th or 5th personal attack in this thread? I'm losing track, but then who cares when it adds so much credibility to your position

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Have there ever been any reports of SS valves dropping?