Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another tire question (sorry!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 AM
kevin nevius
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Another tire question (sorry!)

All:

My 2009 Z needs tires (the original GY runflats have 16k on them, and are well past the wear indicators).

Based on a lot of great information here on the forum, I was thinking of using Michelin PS2's (in the stock factory sizes)? Any opinions?

Additionally (regarding price).........what is a good out the door price right now for them? (I have a quote for $2,145.00)?

Thanks in advance for your help,

kev
Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Good choice.They have an AS tire with a higher tread rating that would also be good on a driver/road car.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Wow, that's high. I just had a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed with road hazard warranty and everything for ~$1700. Discount Tire matched the price quoted from here:

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/

I went with 285-35-18 for the front and 345-30-19 for the rear. Came out to $1302 and change.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
kevin nevius
Instructor

Thanks for the replies..........exactly what I was looking for.

It must just be me.........but pricing on these tires is not that easy to find???

kev
Old 09-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The PS2s are probably run flats and the Pilot Super Sport tires aren't run flats. That is part of the price differential. The price you have for the PS2s is a good number. You will pay about that much to have them shipped to you from Tire Rack. If your price includes installation it is a good deal.

I have the PS2 Zero Pressure tires on my 08Z and really like them.

Bill
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Wow, that's high.
Not for PS2's.

Originally Posted by EViL427
I just had a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed with road hazard warranty and everything for ~$1700. [...]
Super Sports are quite a bit cheaper than PS2's. They are also not run flats, which may or may not be of importance/concern to the OP.

For the OP, there is a lot of internet pricing... Google 'em up. One concern with run flats is finding a place to mount them -- not all shops are willing / have the proper equipment. I took mine to a local Sears, which is listed as a run flat installation facility by one of the large online marketers (Tire Rack) and I had a bit of a tussle with them (the kid they had doing the job did not have the proper equipment or the experience to get the job done... I finally got the manager out in the shop and he got 'em on). I will not be back to that facility for any run flat tire mounting/dismounting.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The PS2s are probably run flats and the Pilot Super Sport tires aren't run flats. That is part of the price differential. The price you have for the PS2s is a good number. You will pay about that much to have them shipped to you from Tire Rack. If your price includes installation it is a good deal.

I have the PS2 Zero Pressure tires on my 08Z and really like them.

Bill
Ah, okay. PS2 ZP was not specified.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

The best runflats are M PS2 or Bridgestone Pole Position.

Non RFT's M PSS have been available as low as $1400 - search tire threads in Z06 section. Also check out this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1584744284

I like my Nitto NT-05's but now that M PSS are available in the same price range, no advantage to the NT-05's. Some like Nitto Invos, and they are good price and excellent wear, but not great grip compared with the others.

Some feel the PSS must not have the grip as it has a 300 treadwear rating, but it does have excellent grip and very good tire wear. I can pull over 1G on a flat corner with my stock size PSS. Others have gone with 285/35-18 and 345/30-19 sizes.

Deciding on a RFT or non-RFT is your decision. Those of us that have non-RFT's usually carry an air inflator (covers most slow punctures), a tire patch kit (bigger punctures) and Slime (can't get at the puncture) and figure that will get us home or to some place safe. Those that insist on RFT's don't want to be stranded at all and I understand that if they drive very busy freeways or have lots of rain.

Another consideration out here in the west is can you get to somewhere? Realistically I have driven in places that 100 miles on a RFT might get me to a little town that might have a place to stay, no shop that could change an 18-19-20" RFT and certainly would take 2-3 days to get any replacement Z06 tire (RFT or non- RFT) shipped in. Enjoy the scenery and hope you can call a tow service with either a cell phone or land line (they do still have those?).
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

PS2 ZP's will hold much better and last longer than the oem GY's, that would be my choice.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

If you buy a RF go ahead and get the extra "replace a tire" for any reason warranty. Bridgestone says any puncture can't be repaired. Michelin says a RF that has been driven on (that is the point right?) can't be repaired. I had a puncture on my original Badyear RF and had no problem fixing it as it happened overnight and I pulled the tire and took it to my local Discount Tire and they fixed it.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:02 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the PSSs in a 285/345 combo and 550rwhp. They grip terrific, and paid $1,272 shipped. No brainier unless you can't get around not having a run flat.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 AM
kevin nevius
Instructor

Much thanks to everyone for the replies, they are greatly appreciated!

I really like the idea of a runflat tire - I will go ahead with the Michelins (looking forward to getting them on the car!)

Now to spend the weekend wrecking what's left of the Goodyears!! LOL

Thanks again,

kev
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 AM
kevin nevius
Instructor

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the information!

I purchased the PS2 ZP's (in stock factory Z06 sizes) late last week, and spent the weekend putting some miles on them. I have never gotten too excited about tires before, but these are pretty darn amazing tires!

The GY factory tires were extremely loud, and the car would track in every road surface imperfection. The ZP's are SO much more quiet, and the car is totally different (better in every way) regarding its behavior.

I could easily break the GY's loose in second gear from a roll - but have struggled to get the ZP's loose. I just can't get over how much better these tires are.

Thanks again,

kev
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin nevius
I could easily break the GY's loose in second gear from a roll - but have struggled to get the ZP's loose. I just can't get over how much better these tires are.

Thanks again,

kev
It may just be the difference between worn tires and new tires. The GY gripped well when they were new, but that didn't last long.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I bought my M PS 2 ZP's two years ago and have a little over 10,000 miles on them. They still ride like new but the grip is a little less than new. I have found running the tire pressure at 30 pounds hot really improves the ride. I will always have the ZP's as I was stranded several years ago with a flat. Great tires.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin nevius
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the information!

I purchased the PS2 ZP's (in stock factory Z06 sizes) late last week, and spent the weekend putting some miles on them. I have never gotten too excited about tires before, but these are pretty darn amazing tires!

The GY factory tires were extremely loud, and the car would track in every road surface imperfection. The ZP's are SO much more quiet, and the car is totally different (better in every way) regarding its behavior.

Thanks again,

kev
I noticed the same thing after changing the Goodyears for PS2Zps. Feels like a totally different car.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 AM
StingrayJames
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased the stock 18/19 inch size Corvette Z06 Michelin PS2 ZP tires back in July and drive the car cross country +/-3600 miles and loved the way the car drove and the reduced road noise. The thing I can't stand is the look of the Michelin stock size rear tires. I'd like to up-size to the 345's on the rear but did not see that that size came in a ZP. Is there any danger in running the stock 275 ZP's up front and 345 non XP's on the rear? I'm afraid the car will look funny if I don't lower the rear which I've been thinking about doing. Maybe lower both front and rear?

Thanks,

James West

Get notified of new replies

To Another tire question (sorry!)

Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Personally I am not a fan of running tires of different kinds front to rear even if by the same mfg.

Also the Nannies need a similar size spread to stock, so the 285/345 combo works with little problem. I can't say that for the 265/345 combo or is it 275/345? I don't remember as I went to 285/345 Pilot SSs pretty quickly on my car.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 PM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
If you buy a RF go ahead and get the extra "replace a tire" for any reason warranty. Bridgestone says any puncture can't be repaired. Michelin says a RF that has been driven on (that is the point right?) can't be repaired. I had a puncture on my original Badyear RF and had no problem fixing it as it happened overnight and I pulled the tire and took it to my local Discount Tire and they fixed it.
FWIW, Not sure if I'm just a lucky sob but I've had 2 different Discount tire shops repair 2 different punctures on my Bridgestone runflats.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Discount tire is great. It is Bridgestone as a corporation that says "do not repair if driven...." Likely their lawyers covering their rear.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another tire question (sorry!)