Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Emergency Access

Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Emergency Access

I understand our C6's have emergency access to the interior through a remote door release located in the rear hatch area. I realized I had no idea how this system actually worked and decided to test it out before I was stranded somewhere and needed it.

My car is a 2008 ZO6. To simulate a situation where I would need to use this access I removed the key from the base of the key fob and placed the fob in the house where it couldn't transmit to the car. I took the key to the garage and tried to insert it in the key hole to open the rear hatch. The key wouldn't go in far enough to seat and allow it to turn the lock. I tried several times and was unable to open the hatch with the key. I squirted some WD40 in the key hole and gave it a few minutes to lube the lock mechanism. I still couldn't get the key in far enough to turn the lock.

I finally gave up, retrieved the fob and opened the hatch. I returned the fob to the house. Then I located the emergency cable that unlocks the driver's door from the hatch compartment. The cable end is pretty small but I grabbed it and pulled. I could hear the door latch release. I grabbed the door handle and expected the door to open. I pulled on the latch and the door moved but the latch wasn't fully released and I couldn't get the door open. At this point the security alarm went off. I tried pulling the cable a few more times with the same result. I still couldn't get the door open and had to retrieve the fob and turn off the alarm.

I tried again with the same results. Hopefully the lock mechanism will free up in a couple of days and work as it should. I'll try this again in a few days and see if I get better results. In the mean time I won't depend on this emergency system to get me in the car.

I thought I'd post this experience so that some of you might want to try this on your car to see if you have better luck with it than I did.

Last edited by LEJ ZO6; 09-16-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:35 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I need to test mine. Good reminder.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yesterday I had my battery disconnected so the fob wasn't functional. I was able to use the key in the hatch and pull the handle to open the door (as you described).

It's strange that your key doesn't go into the hatch key hole. Are you the original owner of the car? If not, maybe the fob and key was replaced at some point but the hatch key hole was left original?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Some of the more common license plate frames don't allow the key to go straight in or bottom out in the lock. I tried mine and was sure it was all the way in with no interference but it wouldn't turn. I removed the frame and it worked.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Achilles97
Yesterday I had my battery disconnected so the fob wasn't functional. I was able to use the key in the hatch and pull the handle to open the door (as you described).

It's strange that your key doesn't go into the hatch key hole. Are you the original owner of the car? If not, maybe the fob and key was replaced at some point but the hatch key hole was left original?
I've owned the car since new. I can't remember if I tried this test when the car was new. I'd guess there is just crud in the lock or, like someone else said, the license plate frame may be keeping the key from going all the way in.

That still wouldn't explain why the door won't open after pulling the cable or why the alarm sounded.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

i would try again. kinda wierd that both the lock and the release are not working. they are sperate form each other. yea a can see the alarm going off thats normal but the other stuff is pretty simple. was this car in an accident?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

I know with mine when I pull the door release cable the door will open but not all the way. I have to be pulling on the release cable and pull the door open at the same time before the door will fully open.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 PM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by erikszr1
i would try again. kinda wierd that both the lock and the release are not working. they are sperate form each other. yea a can see the alarm going off thats normal but the other stuff is pretty simple. was this car in an accident?
No accidents !
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 PM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I know with mine when I pull the door release cable the door will open but not all the way. I have to be pulling on the release cable and pull the door open at the same time before the door will fully open.
How in the world did you manage that ?

I don't think I could reach the release cable and the door handle at the same time.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I could be way wrong, but I think the emergency cable he is describing is not the one back by the rear of the hatch, but the one by each seat track. At least that is what I speculate those little releases are for although I have never tried to pull one.

Last edited by pkincy; 09-16-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 PM
surfinva27
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in my experience with thinking i locked my fob in the car and for some reason the car wasnt registering it, i used my spare key (spare fob battery dead) to open the hatch. when you pull the string to open the door, do it from the side of the car and hold the line taught while you open the door. i found if i didnt hold the line taught, the door still stayed latched. it visibly moved... but the latch could still grab it. my alarm went off as well... just disconnected the battery.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:09 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pkincy
I could be way wrong, but I think the emergency cable he is describing is not the one back by the rear of the hatch, but the one by each seat track. At least that is what I speculate those little releases are for although I have never tried to pull one.
Originally Posted by surfinva27
in my experience with thinking i locked my fob in the car and for some reason the car wasnt registering it, i used my spare key (spare fob battery dead) to open the hatch. when you pull the string to open the door, do it from the side of the car and hold the line taught while you open the door. i found if i didnt hold the line taught, the door still stayed latched. it visibly moved... but the latch could still grab it. my alarm went off as well... just disconnected the battery.

That explains it.

It's a little awkward but I was able to pull the cable under the hatch and pull on the door handle at the same time if I stood by the left rear fender. The door will open all the way if I keep the cable taunt.

The release by the seat works this way also. If I just pull that release the door doesn't "pop" open but if I put some pressure on it it opens easily.

Thanks guys !
Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LEJ ZO6
That explains it.

It's a little awkward but I was able to pull the cable under the hatch and pull on the door handle at the same time if I stood by the left rear fender. The door will open all the way if I keep the cable taunt.

The release by the seat works this way also. If I just pull that release the door doesn't "pop" open but if I put some pressure on it it opens easily.

Thanks guys !
Is your release cable in a different position? On my 2006, the release cable is right on top of the driver's rear wheel well and I can easily reach the door handle while pulling on the release cable - don't even have to stretch any at all.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Just one more data point. On my 2008 Z I did not have to reach the door handle, just pulling the release cable caused the door to release enough to open it without having to pull the door handle at the same time.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and why they couldn't just give us normal door handles... modern cars suck

Get notified of new replies

To Emergency Access

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Emergency Access