Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dash Rattle.....Question for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default Dash Rattle.....Question for you guys

Alright,

Typically I'm the one that everyone goes to for answers but now I have one for you guys.

Anyone have a dash rattle in their C6Z?

Seems to be speed related more than anything, as well as temp related. Doesn't do it when it's over 70 degrees outside, nor does it do it below 65 mph. Isn't RPM related and it has no noticeable vibrations inside the car. The dash has never been apart short of me changing the shifter and it did it before and after shifter install. Has done it over the past 2 sets of tires.

Almost sounds dead nuts in the center of the dash but short of pulling the entire assembly out of the car I can't find anything loose.

It's a 3LZ car if that makes a difference.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Could it be the rattle I've read about from the o-ring that goes bad in the oil tank ?
It had a TSB issued at some point in the past.

Not sure if that would fit the bill as you're describing with the temps and mph; but, with noises anything's possible !
Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Alright,

Typically I'm the one that everyone goes to for answers but now I have one for you guys.

Anyone have a dash rattle in their C6Z?

Seems to be speed related more than anything, as well as temp related. Doesn't do it when it's over 70 degrees outside, nor does it do it below 65 mph. Isn't RPM related and it has no noticeable vibrations inside the car. The dash has never been apart short of me changing the shifter and it did it before and after shifter install. Has done it over the past 2 sets of tires.

Almost sounds dead nuts in the center of the dash but short of pulling the entire assembly out of the car I can't find anything loose.

It's a 3LZ car if that makes a difference.
Yes! And I only just recently figured out what was causing it. The cowl under the wiper blades has a rubber strip against the windshield, and on the passenger side it has started to separate. The wind was getting under it and causing it to flutter, making a horrendous buzzing sound. I tested the theory by taking a piece of duct tape and taping it to the windshield, and the sound went away. So I bought a new cowl from the dealership (I think it was around $80-90) and installed it over this last weekend. Problem solved!

May not be your problem, but it's something to look for.
The following users liked this post:
v8sten (11-15-2015)
Old 11-16-2013, 11:19 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by EViL427
Yes! And I only just recently figured out what was causing it. The cowl under the wiper blades has a rubber strip against the windshield, and on the passenger side it has started to separate. The wind was getting under it and causing it to flutter, making a horrendous buzzing sound. I tested the theory by taking a piece of duct tape and taping it to the windshield, and the sound went away. So I bought a new cowl from the dealership (I think it was around $80-90) and installed it over this last weekend. Problem solved!

That would explain why it does it vs speed for sure. Wonder why it only does it when it gets colder out though.......

I'll grab some tape and seal it off on the drive home and see if I can make it go away.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:24 PM
NOSZ06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AWESOME !

I've had the same buzzing sound from the dash at high speed, and I read some threads saying it could be this vs. that, etc.

But this is the first thread where I read the "duct tape test" and that's what I did not: no tape, buzz is there. With tape, Buzz is gone!

Thank you!

QUESTION:

How do I find the part number or official name of the "Cowl" for my 2008 Z06?

How does one install it? If I'm not very technical or handy, should I just as the dealer service department to install it?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

I had a dash rattle dead center of the dash as you describe. It would appear randomly with no influence from vehicle speed or engine rpm. It drove me crazy

I took it to the dealer and their corvette tech was able to determine the sound was coming from the plastic tubes that connect the dry sump canister to the intake. I believe they are vent lines. The tubes were vibrating against the door for the air con filter housing.

He used a few wire ties to hold them in place and the problem never returned.

I can post pictures of the lines if necessary. Just let me know.

Good luck

Last edited by Bluewasp; 11-17-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Anthony

You already know this ....... sounds travel through our cars and can be coming from unthought of places.

My rattle that I swore was in the dash turned out to be the 3 piece air dam. One of the side pieces would vibrate against the center piece as they were worn and the connector loose from too much track wear

Thanks again for supporting the 2013 Corvette Challenge

DH
Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the same issue. Its easy to deal with when you know what it is. The cowl under the wiper on my passenger side is loose to the windshield in certain weather conditions. When I drive the car regularly, there is no problem. When the car sits, it vibrates against the windshield and buzzes throughout the cabin. You can tape it down or slip something under it to prevent the contact. Mine was most evident over 60 mph.
Cheers
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
That would explain why it does it vs speed for sure. Wonder why it only does it when it gets colder out though.......

I'll grab some tape and seal it off on the drive home and see if I can make it go away.
Shrinkage? I had that happen once in some really cold water and it scared the hell out of me.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I had the same problem, and it was the cowl under the passenger wiper. If you look closely, you can see where it separates, or lifts from the windshield. Easy to test with duct tape. I sealed it with clear silicon.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
AWESOME !

I've had the same buzzing sound from the dash at high speed, and I read some threads saying it could be this vs. that, etc.

But this is the first thread where I read the "duct tape test" and that's what I did not: no tape, buzz is there. With tape, Buzz is gone!

Thank you!

QUESTION:

How do I find the part number or official name of the "Cowl" for my 2008 Z06?

How does one install it? If I'm not very technical or handy, should I just as the dealer service department to install it?
It was fairly simple to replace. There are caps over the nuts on the wipers that just pop off, then remove the nuts to remove the wiper arms. It takes a torx bit to remove the screws (I forget what size). Then its just a matter of removing the washer nozzles to transfer them to the new cowl.

EDIT: Just remembered, you also need to remove the rubber weather strip and under it are four metal clasps holding the top part to the bottom part. Those four clips need to be removed. I just used a screwdriver. But be careful. I lost one of them somewhere down in the engine compartment. I only have three holding it on now (which seems fine).

Part number is 25778761.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 11-18-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Now I can't get the stupid thing to do it again to test....
Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 PM
blackbeast99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too had the same problem...windshield cowl. I had to go at least 85-90mph + to hear it (and radio off). Used some sealant to fix it.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I've read several posts in the past where the high speed (+60 MPH) windshield cowl noise would go away if the A/C recirculate button was on.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

I just ran into the same problem. Saw this thread, went and checked my cowl and sure enough it was lifting up almost all the way across. I tried silicon and I couldn't make it lay down enough to hold. Then I tried 3M weatherstrip adhesive and that didn't work either. Bought a new cowl and installed it - problem solved. I love this forum.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

WhiteKnight - can please share with me the part number for the Cowl, and where you ordered it from?

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Rattle.....Question for you guys

Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Originally Posted by Adam_W
WhiteKnight - can please share with me the part number for the Cowl, and where you ordered it from?

Thanks!
From Evil427 above: Part number is 25778761.

One of my local chevy dealers had it in stock. There are two parts but you should only need 25778761; this part spans the windshield and passenger side. Another part covers the driver side edge of the windshield adjacent to the fender; you should be able to reuse that piece.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Thank you WhiteKnight and Evil427 (sorry I didn't see your response above earlier) !

This forum is awesome for support on so many issues that come up with our cars.

One problem down, ten to go
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Mine was up slightly at the middle of the windshield.....replaced it with a new one and it looks to do the exact same thing as far as fitment goes.

However it's a rare December in Dallas today and it's going to be almost 80 the next two days so I don't think I'll get a chance to check the rattle until later this week when it cools off later in the week to see if it rattles then.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dash Rattle.....Question for you guys