Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] More bad guides *video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Forgive me for not reading all of that Paul and just scanning it because I'm on this iPhone. So no offense, but while I'm sure that what you say above has some merit, I'll throw this out there. Might even tie in to what you say above.

Does anyone wonder what the reaction among some would have been had JCox23's shop told him that his Non stock exhaust valves were examined after that 3 years and found to be FUBARed, tuliped and the stems beat to hell due to valve bounce?

I'm thinking that some of our membership, would have been euphoric. Would have felt some vindication.

I think the issue here, is that some of us are "disappointed" that this wasn't the case on this particular instance, and because it wasn't, this, coupled with the outright lack of described failures in here due to "valve bounce", in cars running solid SS Valves or slightly heavier than stock exhaust valves, despite the predictions of disaster, casts doubt as to the concern, from a practical standpoint, which should be given to any such predictions.

If the guy had come back and said that his valves were shot, then some of the naysayers about setups such as his would have something to point to.

His exhaust valves not only were not shot or tuliped or showed any other damage, but were indeed felt to be in good enough shape to re use.

Basically, the "problem" for some of us here, if there is one, is that JCox23 gave the "wrong" answer.

I've heard cries for metallurgical and lab data with regard to his results and associated comments. Among people in general, it seems to me that whenever someone gives the answer that we don't want, then the tendency is to ask more questions, indeed a battery of questions in some instances, until the answer that we wanted to hear, or had our hearts set on and hinged our positions from, is obtained.
You're forgiven

Fortunately I don't need to ask for your forgiveness since I did read your entire post

While we are analysing motives, I should mention that I have no horse in this race. I still have stock valves and thus it does not matter one tiny bit to me what has, or has not, happened to the OP's valves after a grand total of 8,000 miles...though I'll admit I'm sure my feelings about this would differ considerably IF I was running valves which testing has shown WILL bounce. This unfortunately is the price I pay for believing in the laws of physics

Just imagine how good SS valve users would feel if the OP had posted that even after 88,000 of abuse in totally out of spec guides he was able to clean all the built-up coking from his exhaust valves, stick them back in the engine and then after another 20,000 miles be able to report they were still in perfect working order. Unfortunately such a report only exists for stock exhaust valves but hopefully the same will eventually be reported for SS valves because it is my hope that one day all SS valve users can truly have the same confidence in their choice of exhaust valves as those of us using stock exhaust valves

Cheers, Paul.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-mortem-3.html

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 12-10-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:39 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
You're forgiven

Fortunately I don't need to ask for your forgiveness since I did read your entire post

[/url]
You must not be on one of those pesky phones that cant read 2 paragraph posts but can write 6 paragraph posts. One day I hope the technology improves so we can actually read and write posts at the same time.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

You're forgiven

While we are analysing motives, I should mention that I have no horse in this race. I still have stock valves and thus it does not matter one tiny bit to me what has, or has not, happened to the OP's valves after a grand total of 8,000 miles...though I'll admit I'm sure my feelings about this would differ considerably IF I was running valves which testing has shown WILL bounce. This unfortunately is the price I pay for believing in the laws of physics

Just imagine how good SS valve users would feel if the OP had posted that even after 88,000 of abuse in totally out of spec guides he was able to clean all the built-up coking from his exhaust valves, stick them back in the engine and then after another 20,000 miles be able to report they were still in perfect working order. Unfortunately such a report only exists for stock exhaust valves but hopefully the same will eventually be reported for SS valves because it is my hope that one day all SS valve users can truly have the same confidence in their choice of exhaust valves as those of us using stock exhaust valves

Cheers, Paul.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-mortem-3.html
You know Paul, I don't worry about it either.

Predictions of calamity, and when widespread calamity still has not struck, don't mean much to me.

But the fact still remains, had this gone "the other way", and the guy had said that his shop found his exhaust valves to be shot due to "valve bounce", then there would be those who would be pointing right now to it confirming some of the predictions made which apparently have not come about.

As it stands, his builder says; "I saw no signs of valve bounce".

I'm glad to see, that despite all of that testing, and some of this and that predicting, this guy's car managed to go 3 years and 8k miles "in the field", and his builder comes back and says after tearing down and examining his heads, "I saw no signs of valve bounce".

Found worn guides, mind you, but says that he "saw no signs of valve bounce"

The other good thing, is that posts can be edited, and additions made to them, even on an iPhone.

What will they think of next Paul?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] Does anyone wonder what the reaction among some would have been had [....]
You're discussing other people instead of discussing the issue.

I'm thinking that some of our membership, would have been [....]

I think the issue here, is that some of us are "disappointed" that this wasn't the case [....]

If the guy had come back and said that his valves were shot, then some of the naysayers about setups such as his would have [....]

Basically, the "problem" for some of us here, if there is one, is that [....]

Among people in general, it seems to me that whenever someone gives the answer that we don't want, then the tendency is to ask more questions, indeed a battery of questions in some instances, until the answer that we wanted to hear, or had our hearts set on and hinged our positions from, is obtained.
While you've described your posting style perfectly, you're still discussing other people instead of discussing the issue.

And all of that from only one post
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark200X

While you've described your posting style perfectly, you're still discussing other people instead of discussing the issue.

And all of that from only one post
And just where are you "discussing the issue" in that above rant?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] But the fact still remains, had this gone "the other way", and the guy had said that his shop found his exhaust valves to be shot due to "valve bounce", then there would be those who would be pointing right now to it [...]
Discussing other people instead of discussing the issue.

[...] his builder comes back and says after tearing down and examining his heads, "I saw no signs of valve bounce".
You've stated the obvious and the known twice now. We know what was posted. Apparently you think it is definitive, somehow, to the extent that repetition makes some kind of point, so... What do you think it means?

1. That there was no valve bounce in this engine.

2. That there is no such thing as valve bounce.

3. That there is valve bounce, but it doesn't mean anything.

Bonus question: Do you think the naked eye is sufficient for metallurgical testing and analysis? i.e., if you can't see it with the naked eye, then it doesn't exist?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 PM
JCox23
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

After going through my reciepts I didn't see anything that said what brand of dual springs were installed. I'll have to do some more digging.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

It would be difficult to discern anything unless you had the model number and the installed height... that would be the only way to determine the actual spring pressures in use.

It's only recently come to light (AFAIK), thanks to the Spintron testing that Katech so generously published here, that a beehive can do just as good a job as a dual with some of the heavier valves. Prior to that I think just about everyone figured a dual was needed for the LS7 RPM and a 100g valve.

If you car hasn't spent any time above 6500 RPM then it is pretty much a moot point... most springs seem to be capable with the heavier exhaust valve up to that point.

BTW, your video showed ~.022 wiggle, and estimating the measurement point at 3" from the valve guide I'd put your actual guide clearance at .022/4 = .0055

Last edited by Mark2009; 12-10-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Discussing other people instead of discussing the issue.

You've stated the obvious and the known twice now.
Yes, but have you gotten it yet? Or do I need to say it a third time? :

Here it is one more time.

The "issue" is that JCox23 has discovered guide wear, but has no evidence, none whatsoever, of "valve bounce" despite the fact that his is a heavier than stock valve train.

What do you think it means? ....
Why do you want to know what I think that it means?

It only matters what the grass roots member in here, attempting to avoid a windowed engine block, and deciding upon which steps to achieve that end, thinks that it means.

Why don't you post up a thread asking them what they think it means?

Bonus question: Do you think the naked eye is sufficient for metallurgical testing and analysis? i.e., if you can't see it with the naked eye, then it doesn't exist?
Do you think that metallurgical testing and analysis is necessary and practical for determining say, the current structural integrity of your wheels, or your brake calipers?

Or do you think that your naked eye is sufficient for you to keep driving on both?

If so, well then why?

If not, well then why not?

BTW, your video showed ~.022 wiggle, and estimating the measurement point at 3" from the valve guide I'd put your actual guide clearance at .022/4 = .0055
Is that out of spec?

Because if it is, and I do believe that it is, well then JCox23 is lucky that he got those guides out of his car when he did.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-10-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

It would be difficult to discern anything unless you had the model number and the installed height... that would be the only way to determine the actual spring pressures in use.
Its the model and install height I am looking for or hoping for.

It's only recently come to light (AFAIK), thanks to the Spintron testing that Katech so generously published here, that a beehive can do just as good a job as a dual with some of the heavier valves. Prior to that I think just about everyone figured a dual was needed for the LS7 RPM and a 100g valve.
and this is why testing and data is so important. Yes experience goes a long way but sadly not in this case as the Beehive spring is far superior to the dual spring in the cammed scenario. The tradeoff in bounce verse the security of the dual spring is not worth it in my opinion.

If you car hasn't spent any time above 6500 RPM is pretty much a moot point... most springs seem to be capable with the heavier exhaust valve up to that point.
Agreed. I think most buy these type of cars to get what they were intended to run. Not gimp the throttle so we don't do damage or fear doing damage.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Why do you care what I think that it means?
I figured you'd avoid stating your opinion on valve bounce. Fair enough

Personally I believe it is real, and that it can happen without being seen/felt/heard/tasted by the operator/mechanic (extreme levels would likely be noticeable on a load cell dyno), and that even at moderate levels it can lead to overstressing of various components resulting in cumulative unseen damage up to and including failure.

Do you think that metallurgical testing and analysis is necessary and practical for determining say, the structural integrity of your wheels or your brake calipers?
If they have been subjected to some type of unusual abuse or stress, absolutely. That's the only way to tell if the original structural integrity has been compromised. A wheel stud looks just fine until it breaks off... and it probably doesn't break the first time it is overtorqued....
Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Yes, but have you gotten it yet? Or do I need to say it a third time? [...]

Why do you care what I think that it means?

[...] Why don't you post up a thread asking them what they think it means?

Do you think that metallurgical testing and analysis is necessary and practical for determining say, the structural integrity of your wheels, or your brake calipers?

Or do you think that your naked eye is sufficient for you to keep driving on both?

If so, well then why?

If not, well then why not?

Is that out of spec? [...]
[...] Among people in general, it seems to me that whenever someone gives the answer that we don't want, then the tendency is to ask more questions, indeed a battery of questions in some instances, until the answer that we wanted to hear, or had our hearts set on and hinged our positions from, is obtained.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

OMG....
Old 12-10-2013, 09:33 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I figured you'd avoid stating your opinion on valve bounce. Fair enough

Personally I believe it is real, and that it can happen without being seen/felt/heard/tasted by the operator/mechanic (extreme levels would likely be noticeable on a load cell dyno), and that even at moderate levels it can lead to overstressing of various components resulting in cumulative unseen damage up to and including failure.
Damn, you make it sound so "technical" it's a miracle that some of these brick and mortar outfits offering their services on our forum, but without every piece of fancy equipment have been able to successfully make it this far, and last for this long.

One wonders how they've managed.

I read the above again, and it almost sounds like you're describing carbon monoxide poisoning or repeated exposure to low dose radiation. Hell, it even sounds like "radiation", when you go on about "extreme levels" and such. Of course we know those can cause dire consequences, even kill, and can point to examples of morbidity and mortality associated with each.

I guess all we have to do now, is wait for you to show us several confirmed examples of LS7 engines with "fixed heads" failing, or demonstrating ….what was it you called it…."unseen damage", as a result of what you describe above.

I'm ready when you are.

If they have been subjected to some type of unusual abuse or stress, absolutely. That's the only way to tell if the original structural integrity has been compromised. A wheel stud looks just fine until it breaks off... and it probably doesn't break the first time it is overtorqued....
I didn't say "unusual abuse or stress", I said "Do you think that metallurgical testing and analysis is necessary and practical for determining say, the current structural integrity of your wheels, or your brake calipers?

Or do you think that your naked eye is sufficient for you to keep driving on both?"

Did you buy your car new or used?

Because if it wasn't bought new, then how would you know that your wheels had or had not been subjected to any "unusual abuse or stress"?

I laughed at that too, because it has such broad application.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-10-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 PM
csumt76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnjan
+1

I'm amazed at the conclusions that are drawn from measurements that are not performed properly - and taken as gospel. If you're going to remove the heads, measure the clearance correctly (by subtracting the valve stem OD from the valve guide ID and THEN post the results.

This whole valve guide issue is beyond ridiculous and will remain so until people insist on discussing fact instead of folklore.
Originally Posted by 8850
I believe that the indicator should be placed closer to the guide to more accurately read the valve stem to guide clearance. The top side of the head would be the correct position. Reading the valve OD and with the valve extended out from the head would read more than the actual clearance.
I could have made that video last week with a 6,000 mile set of Germany's finest. Oh, pull the valve half way out of the guide and it wiggles under no load. Interesting.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Is that out of spec?

Because if it is, and I do believe that it is, well then JCox23 is lucky that he got those guides out of his car when he did.
Certainly .0055" is out of spec but it not nearly as far out of spec as a boat load of other examples in the .0120+ range (including ironically two sets you've personally had your hands on) which did NOT blow up. So in fact there are a boat load of examples indicating that .0055" is no where near a catastrophic failure, particularly when were talking about stock exhaust valves which have frequently survived in guides which are THREE times worse than was measured by the OP.

When it comes to SS exhaust valves I believe the OP's is one of the first examples where the valve did not fail with out of spec guides but given the guides were not vastly out of spec they have not had to withstand nearly the amount of abuse many stock valves have.

Please note in this post that I am discussing valves and guides (ie. the topic at issue) and NOT people.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
I believe that the indicator should be placed closer to the guide to more accurately read the valve stem to guide clearance. The top side of the head would be the correct position. Reading the valve OD and with the valve extended out from the head would read more than the actual clearance.
Yes I was wondering the same thing valve was pulled almost out of the head to check movement not giving a correct reading.
z51vett
Doug

Get notified of new replies

To More bad guides *video inside*

Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Certainly .0055" is out of spec but it not nearly as far out of spec as a boat load of other examples in the .0120+ range (including ironically two sets you've personally had your hands on) which did NOT blow up. So in fact there are a boat load of examples indicating that .0055" is no where near a catastrophic failure, particularly when were talking about stock exhaust valves which have frequently survived in guides which are THREE times worse than was measured by the OP.

When it comes to SS exhaust valves I believe the OP's is one of the first examples where the valve did not fail with out of spec guides but given the guides were not vastly out of spec they have not had to withstand nearly the amount of abuse many stock valves have.

Please note in this post that I am discussing valves and guides (ie. the topic at issue) and NOT people.

Cheers, Paul.
What two sets of heads are you talking about?

You clearly have me confused with someone else, so perhaps while you claim to not be talking about "people", perhaps you should have taken the time to determine which person in here has in fact had his hands on two sets of heads with guides in them worn to .0120".

Wasn't me.

Do yourself a favor and don't follow your buddy into the "talking about people" flames and rips. Look at where it got you. You were doing fine. We were having a clean and civil discussion between us. Don't go down his road.

You think these "valves and guides" you say that you're discussing, got into these cars with no decisional input from "people"?

The "people" , especially those whom I refer to sometimes in here as the "grass roots segment" of this forum, who may not have a big budget to spend replacing an engine that just grew a window into the side of it's block, e.g. the guy in here still making a car payment, or paying tuition for 2 kids in college, or has other economic considerations, and is just barely able to hold on to his Z06 in these tough economic times, have to decide what they are going to do about this matter.

You talk to those people about better than $2300.00 worth of new titanium exhaust and intake valves, as a potential avenue for addressing this matter, and that is just too far out of their reach. That kind of money for just valves alone, is possibly going to be a tough nut to crack for the guy making a monthly payment, and insurance. He may not have it. But he still wants to protect himself and he deserves to know his options and hear those options discussed, pro and con, and that includes any consumer perspective and evaluation of vendor claims.

You try and tell them the stock valves are fine, they aren't buying that either when they continue to see them fail in here.

Their observations of what has thus far gone on with this issue, and the discussions in here about it, have an influence on what those "people" ultimate do about it.

It's that segment of "people", our fellow forum members, who I direct many of my comments toward.

So yes, I am concerned about some of the "people" amongst our forum membership still trying to decide what to do about this matter.

And they are concerned and watching closely, and we see what the trend in here is. Were what they were doing not working, well then it is doubtful that this would be the case.

The second part above in bold "qualified" with the phrase "one of the first", well, really in here, one cannot show very many examples in here of SS valves failing at all, once you get past the Madsen case. A case where he was still using the stock guides, which went so severely out of spec that TJ Wong elected not to measure them.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

What two sets of heads are you talking about?

You clearly have me confused with someone else, so perhaps while you claim to not be talking about "people", perhaps you should have taken the time to determine which person in here has in fact had his hands on two sets of heads with guides in them worn to .0120".

Wasn't me.

Do yourself a favor and don't follow your buddy into the "talking about people" flames and rips. Look at where it got you. You were doing fine. We were having a clean and civil discussion between us. Don't go down his road. cheers:

You think these "valves and guides" you say that you're discussing, got into these cars with no decisional input from "people"?

The second part above in bold "qualified" with the phrase "one of the first", well, really one cannot show very many examples in here of SS valves failing at all, once you get past the Madsen case. A case where he was still using the stock guides, which went so severely out of spec that TJ Wong elected not to measure them.
Okay so I must be mistaken because I was sure the heads you pulled from your car had at least a few guides in the .0120+ range and it hadn't blown up before you pulled them...I apologise IF my memory has failed me.

And the used heads you bought to 'fix' before you pulled yours were measure by WCCH to also have some guides worse than .0120" and they too had not blown up before you bought them...but again I seem to be mistaken and apologise. Both these pairs of heads had stock valves and would have have passed through your hands but apparently were not as badly worn as I thought...my bad.

BTW, I am talking about 'your' heads, guides and valves here NOT about YOU personally...a world of difference there buddy so why have you suddenly become so hostile???

Again you seem to be completely misunderstanding my point. I was NOT talking about valve failures I was talking about valves that have NOT failed while living in a VERY hostile environment (ie. guides with more than .0120" clearance). This is what we have many examples of when it comes to stock exhaust valves but very few, if any, examples of when it comes to SS valves. Seems to me to be a very relevant point of discussion since we do have proof that using SS valves does not guarantee a lack of guide wear.

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 12-11-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Okay so I must be mistaken because I was sure the heads you pulled from your car had at least a few guides in the .0120+ range and it hadn't blown up before you pulled them…
No. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else.

however, I seem to recollect that guide clearance was measured by the guy you sold them to but reported by you on this forum.
Yes. The gentleman I sold them to, had them measured locally.

He sent me a copy of the measurements which they had obtained.

This was at 20K miles, and the car had Mobil 1 5w30 run in it for most of it's life, until switching to Renewable Lubricants, BioSynExtra 10W30 at about 18K miles.

At any rate, this is the valve guide wear found in my heads at 20,061 miles.

Position "C" is at the base of the guide or the combustion chamber side of the guide, position "B" the center, Position "A" the valve spring side.

The worst were in the 0.004x range.

The other exhaust valve guides were right on the verge of going out of spec at 0.0035"-0.0036" at just 20K miles. The service limit, for those interested, is 0.0037".

And the used heads you bought to 'fix' before you pulled yours were measure by WCCH to also have some guides worse than .0120" and they too had not blown up before you bought them. Both these pairs of heads had stock valves and I thought at some point must have passed through your hands...so is all this a figment of my imagination, can you clarify what I got wrong?
See above.

Also, the sheet showing the clearances of my spare heads is below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581764436-post20.html

Those heads had one exhaust guide above that .0120" number which you mention above.

BTW, I am talking about 'your' heads, guides and valves here NOT about you specifically...a world of difference there buddy so why have you suddenly become so hostile???
No hostility intended. Sorry if it came across as such.

Again, though with regard to my heads, the spec sheets are posted above.

So the statement;
examples in the .0120+ range (including ironically two sets you've personally had your hands on)
is not accurate. The only set of heads which I have owned with any guide above 0.0120" was my set of spare heads.

Again you seem to be completely misunderstanding my point. I was NOT talking about valve failures I was talking about valves that have NOT failed while living in a VERY hostile environment (ie. guides with more than .0120" clearance).
I understand.

In actuality, the original poster of this thread, and blackc6z, posted in another thread started by a troy6166, who had his car done by the same shop, and he reported severe stock guide wear as well.

He reported no valve failure.

This is what we have many examples of when it comes to stock exhaust valves but very few, if any, examples of when it comes to SS valves. Seems to me to be a very relevant point of discussion since we do have proof that using SS valves does not guarantee a lack of guide wear.

Cheers, Paul.
I wonder if anything can guarantee a lack of guide wear.

Are guides a "wear item"?

It would seem to me that they would be.

How long can guides go before they wear out?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-11-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] More bad guides *video inside*