Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Not referring to guide material. The issue is "heat transfer to the guides increasing guide wear". Article on Sodium-Filled valves suggests that the heat transfer of sodium may be contributing to guide wear. We see lot's of evidence of intake guides showing wear and high temp's are absent. All of which suggests that temp may not be a first order failure culprit in guide wear!
That's not from the article. That's from Katech's empirical data. There have also been several discussions about the oil getting coked to the stems.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578667842-post31.html

But, of course, you weren't around in 2011 when we were discussing this.

"The root cause of the guide wear is engine oil coking due to severe temperature. To fix the problem at the fundamental level, GM needs to go with smaller multi exhaust valves instead of one large one. Horsepower is heat, and there is too much horsepower flowing thru one exhaust valve. That's why GM, as well as Katech, runs pig rich mixture in an attempt to cool the combustion temp."

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 07-10-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
That's not from the article. That's from Katech's empirical data. There have also been several discussions about the oil getting coked to the stems.

"The root cause of the guide wear is engine oil coking due to severe temperature. To fix the problem at the fundamental level, GM needs to go with smaller multi exhaust valves instead of one large one. Horsepower is heat, and there is too much horsepower flowing thru one exhaust valve. That's why GM, as well as Katech, runs pig rich mixture in an attempt to cool the combustion temp."
Have the feeling we are not communicating. I am not a fan of temp being responsible for causing guide wear of oem guides, since intakes which see much lower temp's are also showing oem guide wear..

Whence guide wear starts, oil will start to coke on the valves and accelerate guide wear, but not the principle instigator..
Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by EViL427

This was being discussed before anyone could have possibly imagined GM's head supplier was sending out heads with machining issues and people were grasping at staws trying to figure out why these cars were failing.

However it has since been proven by the inspection of heads and having the intake side being out of spec and the exhaust side being in spec that this theory is wrong. We have also seen LS7 heads with zero miles straight out of the supplier with machining issues that would have lead to premature guide wear.

As well as who knows how many 1000's of Z06's out there with ZERO issues and no guide wear what-so-ever. If this was a heat issue 100% of the Z06's would have measured guide wear. They do not.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
I clearly stated why I feel heat is not appearing to be an issue in these failures according to the data we see in my post above. So, per the data we have (nothing points to an issue with heat), I see no reason to think these air filled valves would behave any differently than the OEMs or SS - besides the weight factor. I understand the science behind the sodium filled valve, but I'm not convinced we are seeing a difference in LS7s running either type.

I agree, I'm just not seeing any issues caused by heat with any type of valve. Howie - when you checked your guides after thousands of miles of use with track days, they weren't cooked. This was all with an SS valve which supposedly has terrible heat transfer characteristics, but who cares if it has no known side effects? The guide didn't cook, and that's the key point here.

While I chose OEM valves with my rebuild of bronze guides, I didn't do it because of the heat transfer theories. I did it because I had more intake wear than exhaust wear (like ALL LS9s lately), so the OEM valve clearly wasn't the culprit and was well suited for my use. I stuck with the OEM valve because of the weight and to keep my valvetrain balanced as I live at 7200 rpm. Years later while enduring hard use (on original 2006 lifters and rockers with 26,000 cammed hard miles), all is perfect.

So I'm just saying, we have no supporting evidence that heat, heat transfer and the sodium valve has ANYTHING to do with the issue of out of spec guides. So these ferrea valves should be a happy medium to those unsure of which route to take. Its not always left or right, sometimes its the middle!
I understand that there are two separate issues. All I am saying is that your same logic can be applied to the SS valves...........they don't exhibit any affects on the valve train although theoretically (via spintron) they should.

Hopefully we agree on this concept

DH
Old 07-10-2014, 04:51 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I understand that there are two separate issues. All I am saying is that your same logic can be applied to the SS valves...........they don't exhibit any affects on the valve train although theoretically (via spintron) they should.

Hopefully we agree on this concept

DH

Not really enough time or a big enough sample to conclude the heavier valve has no long term effects on the valve train.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
Not really enough time or a big enough sample to conclude the heavier valve has no long term effects on the valve train.
Propain

We really don't know how large the sample size is, only how many CF members have employed this fix.

Certainly the sample size on the new hollow unfilled valve is very small at this point.

DH
Old 07-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

To set the record straight (as I often see the misleading claim above repeated), the Ferrea Competition Hollow Stem valve is not "new" -- it has been out for years, available for the Chevys, Chryslers, Fords, and Toyotas. From what I have read on more professional-oriented forums, they enjoy an excellent reputation amongst engine builders.

They are only "new" in the LS7 size. Therefore, like Michelin making a new sized tire for the new C7, I don't think there is anything to 'fear'... their reputation in similar applications precedes them.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Ferrea has had these valves for years, just check out their site they have about 50 different sizes and applications.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
LS7 exhaust choices are:

stock, hollow stem, sodium-filled
hollow stem, air-filled
sold SS
Inconel
titanium.

The worst choice, IMO, is a "air-filled", hollow-stem valve. Why? Air is a terrible conductor of heat. [...]
I would suggest an interview with a Ferrea engineer, or even a GM Powertrain engineer, giving them an opportunity to comment on your valve ranking.

I've sent you one interview candidate via PM.

Last edited by Mark2009; 07-10-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
You totally agree with the exception of FI that..."If I was mod'ing an LS7, I'd do like Katech does and use stock valves up to 600-hp and below 7500 rpm. Beyond that, I think a ti exhaust is the way to go."...wow, why does that shock me

Cheers, Paul.
No, I would go with the TI valve. Of course weight is a big issue in this setup but not near enough when we are talking about valves separating and destroying blocks. So when the SS valve has been used for how long by so many people and seems to work good why even take a chance with that cheap *** sodium filled garbage. Simple as that. I spray my motor so titanium was not an option but if it was that would have been the route I took
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Propain

We really don't know how large the sample size is, only how many CF members have employed this fix.

Certainly the sample size on the new hollow unfilled valve is very small at this point.

DH

As you can see from the replies above that beat me to the punch... these valves have been around for a very long time.

Last edited by propain; 07-10-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ramairws6
No, I would go with the TI valve. Of course weight is a big issue in this setup but not near enough when we are talking about valves separating and destroying blocks. So when the SS valve has been used for how long by so many people and seems to work good why even take a chance with that cheap *** sodium filled garbage. Simple as that. I spray my motor so titanium was not an option but if it was that would have been the route I took

HAHAH... as if the SS valves are some type of expensive upgrade...

As well your build does not apply since its super secret and "proprietary".
Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,136 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
I would suggest an interview with a Ferrea engineer, or even a GM Powertrain engineer, giving them an opportunity to comment on your valve ranking.

I've sent you one interview candidate via PM.
I did get the PM, "Mark2009". I have been doing what you suggest. Since 2001, a regular source, when I've done articles about Gen 3/4 V8s, has been Jim Hicks, the GMPT engineer who designed and developed the valves and the rest of the valvetrain in the LS1,2,3,6,7 and 9.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 07-10-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: changed a word.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

To set the record straight (as I often see the misleading claim above repeated), the Ferrea Competition Hollow Stem valve is not "new" -- it has been out for years, available for the Chevys, Chryslers, Fords, and Toyotas. From what I have read on more professional-oriented forums, they enjoy an excellent reputation amongst engine builders.

They are only "new" in the LS7 size. Therefore, like Michelin making a new sized tire for the new C7, I don't think there is anything to 'fear'... their reputation in similar applications precedes them.
If you don't want to have a discussion with me as you recently requested then don't bring my statements into your posts

Obviously, my reference to new, was as in new for the LS7

Do we want to start discussing how many makes of cars modded or otherwise have been using SS valves for decades.

So please ignore my posts as you have requested me to ignore yours

DH
Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

As you can see from the replies above that beat me to the punch... these valves have been around for a very long time.
I understand that point. But we are specifically talking about our LS7 which I think you will agree has its own set of peculiarities. I think we might also agree that not every valve is going to behave the same in different motors.

I could make the same argument for the SS valves. They have been around for a lot longer than Ferrea and used in many more applications.

DH
Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

HAHAH... as if the SS valves are some type of expensive upgrade...

As well your build does not apply since its super secret and "proprietary".
Could care less on the price. $5---$5,000 it doesn't really matter if they bust in half and grenade the motor. I see your the type of guy that would rather pay more for a two-Piece valve and the name if ya know what I mean
Old 07-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
I did get the PM, "Mark2009". I have been doing what you suggest. Since 2001, a regular source, when I've done articles about Gen 3/4 V8s, has been Jim Hicks, the GMPT engineer who designed and developed the valves and the rest of the valvetrain in the LS1,2,3,6,7 and 9.
Hib

I'm not sure everyone knows how long you have been researching this issue. I know from our conversations that you are well connected and not shy about extracting information from your sources. Your mechanical abilities are also not widely known. Possibly stating your credentials might be helpful for some.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P

Old 07-10-2014, 07:42 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

While that may be true, Stainless steel valves have also been "out for years" and available for "the Chevys, Chryslers, Fords" for years.

However we know where the discussion leads when we try and make that argument that they are OK for, and that they thus far are doing well in this LS7 engine.

The argument usually trends along the lines of "they might be OK for other engines, but not this one because the spintron says so", despite the fact that they are doing well in these cars.

It seems to me that if we are going to use that as a legitimate argument "against" the use of SS valves in the LS7, then I don't see how the same argument could not be made against the Ferrea hollow stems.

Ferrea hollow stems may well have been around, and used in other engines previously, but how about in the LS7?

And more importantly, as mentioned before, while the SS valve may not have shown stellar results on the spintron for these cars, that which might be the achilles heel for the Ferrea hollow stem valves in these cars, i.e. the question of adequate heat transfer from valve head to stem, cannot be tested or measured on the spintron.

While it may be Hib's opinion that the Ferrea hollow stem is the "worst" choice of the lot for these cars, he does make a good argument for that, and I am beginning to see his reasoning in making that assessment, we won't really know which of the two, SS valves, or the Ferrea hollow stems, actually end up being more "hazardous" to the LS7's health. But overheated exhaust valves, can and do lead to their failure.

At any rate, knowing what Hib pointed out, and the discussion thus far on it, well, whereas I once thought that changing over to the Ferrea Hollow stems could be done with virtually little to no consequences which would warrant concern, it appears that there are in fact some concerns to be taken into serious consideration, namely heat transfer, which might be just as significant as the weight concerns with the SS valves.

One aftermarket solution, the use of Ferrea hollow stem valves, might wind up being just as "risky", and potentially "deadly" as the other, the use of SS valves, but for different reasons.

It seems that "weight" has always been the concern. But there are other things which could end up being just as big of a concern.

There has to be a reason why GM used sodium in those valves instead of air.

If they were just looking to decrease "weight" in the stock valves, well then why fill them with sodium?????

We won't know though until the Ferrea Hollow stem has been in use in the LS7 for as long as the use of SS valves has been used thus far, and in a comparable number of C6 Z06s, before we can get any kind of assessment.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-10-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:42 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I understand that point. But we are specifically talking about our LS7 which I think you will agree has its own set of peculiarities. I think we might also agree that not every valve is going to behave the same in different motors.

I could make the same argument for the SS valves. They have been around for a lot longer than Ferrea and used in many more applications.

DH
Exactly....

But when you do make that argument, what typically happens is a counter argument that while what you say is true, that does not apply to the LS7.

Hib

I'm not sure everyone knows how long you have been researching this issue. I know from our conversations that you are well connected and not shy about extracting information from your sources. Your mechanical abilities are also not widely known. Possibly stating your credentials might be helpful for some.

DH

I have also had the pleasure of corresponding with Hib via email and PM on things ranging from the is issue all the way up to motor oil.

It would be good if he were to state his credentials.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-10-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
I clearly stated why I feel heat is not appearing to be an issue in these failures according to the data we see in my post above. So, per the data we have (nothing points to an issue with heat), I see no reason to think these air filled valves would behave any differently than the OEMs or SS - besides the weight factor. I understand the science behind the sodium filled valve, but I'm not convinced we are seeing a difference in LS7s running either type.
Well CG, to your part in bold, how would we know if they did or not?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P