Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:16 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vertC6
Jason should have everything he needs expect for the Ferrea hollow stem valve. I will split the cost of the valve with you and send it to Jason if others want to chip in for the spintron fee.

I would really like to see the results of the Ferrea valve, PSI 1511, and Ti retainers with the torquer cam.

Thanks for all of you help Jason!
This is the combo in the first post and I think what most would like to see. IDK if I should make a new thread or use this one. First we need to get a concrete figure for what it will cost. The ferrea valve is only something like $30-40 I THINK
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
I don't understand why anyone wants to go to the expense of spin testing the dry, hollow stem, exhaust.

The stocker weighs in the mid 70-gram area. An 85-g valve is going to need more spring pressure or a change in the cam profile to control–maybe not much of a change–but the difference could be enough to push valve motion to the limits of stability at the engine's rev limit.

Another issue I question about hollow-stem valves with no sodium in them. Whether the valve stem is metal, hollow-with-no-sodium or hollow-with-sodium filling, the stem is still the heat path from the valve head to the guide, to the head and then to the coolant.

With an "unfilled" or "dry" hollow stem valve, you replace metal with air which is a very poor conductor of heat compared to metal, so without sodium in the hollow stem, what are you doing to prevent the valve head from overheating?
Sorry, I almost missed this thread. But I had all you guys on my IGNORE LIST ......... Hahahaahahaah!!

Seriously, now ...............

Hib

Your point is very interesting. This is something that the spintron testing cannot account for. I readily admit I am not an engineer but others more inclined have pointed out limitations to this testing protocol. Your excellent point should be added to that list.

It seems likely that there is no perfect solution and that every setup has its benefits and shortfalls.

For me I'm sticking with the stronger benefit of the SS valves since they work for my daily driver/track car. And my personal experience of failed hollow valves but no such experience with SS valves.

Now let me put on my bathing suit and suntan lotion in preparation for a good flaming (not afraid of a little heat).
Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

^^^
Nobody better reply to this. Serious. Not the place. This thread is about spintron testing a new valve/components.

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 07-09-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Would be interested in seeing a few different springs/etc tested to see the differences between a stock, beehive and a few duals. If pricing isn't bad for swapping some springs just to see the effect of different springs I may be down to throw some money in.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Unreal
Would be interested in seeing a few different springs/etc tested to see the differences between a stock, beehive and a few duals. If pricing isn't bad for swapping some springs just to see the effect of different springs I may be down to throw some money in.
Thought this was covered in first round of published tests. IIRC Jason used 3 different spring types with little other variables changed?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:34 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

If others have a better way to conduct this process I'm all ears!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I am in, let's get the total cost from Jason and then get commitments from everyone to pay X amount and send it to your PayPal or directly to Jason.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
If others have a better way to conduct this process I'm all ears!
1. We have no price yet.

2. Jason has yet to agree to anything.

One thing at a time.

Once Jason commits to doing this then we can lay out what people would like to see as far as which setups they would like to see tested. Then we submit that to Jason and he gives us a price. Then we figure out how everyone will pay and which setups will make the cut. Dont forget to include the data aspect of the test as well. That will tack on some hours too.

First thing first... Is Jason willing.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I also agree with Hib's point. Is there another lightweight exhaust valve alternative that does not have hollow stems (and without the extra expense of titanium)?
Manley used to make lightweight stainless valves that were substantially lighter than most.

Also, we have found that where the valve is manufactured is a good indication of the quality control measures used during the manufacturing process.
Do we know where the GM sodium filled exhaust valve is manufactured?
Do we know where the Ferrea hollow stem valve is manufactured?

Last edited by Vito.A; 07-09-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
Nobody better reply to this. Serious. Not the place. This thread is about spintron testing a new valve/components.

That is one of the clowns on my ignore list.

I'll gladly donate...

Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by propain
1. We have no price yet.

2. Jason has yet to agree to anything.

One thing at a time.

Once Jason commits to doing this then we can lay out what people would like to see as far as which setups they would like to see tested. Then we submit that to Jason and he gives us a price. Then we figure out how everyone will pay and which setups will make the cut. Dont forget to include the data aspect of the test as well. That will tack on some hours too.

First thing first... Is Jason willing.
All good points.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,092 Likes on 576 Posts

I'm in...
Old 07-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Expense of Testing

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
I don't understand why anyone wants to go to the expense of spin testing the dry, hollow stem, exhaust.

The stocker weighs in the mid 70-gram area. An 85-g valve is going to need more spring pressure or a change in the cam profile to control–maybe not much of a change–but the difference could be enough to push valve motion to the limits of stability at the engine's rev limit.

Another issue I question about hollow-stem valves with no sodium in them. Whether the valve stem is metal, hollow-with-no-sodium or hollow-with-sodium filling, the stem is still the heat path from the valve head to the guide, to the head and then to the coolant.

With an "unfilled" or "dry" hollow stem valve, you replace metal with air which is a very poor conductor of heat compared to metal, so without sodium in the hollow stem, what are you doing to prevent the valve head from overheating?
Just my opinion, but I think it is worth a reasonable expense to do this testing, which admittedly does not deal with the heat transfer and overheating issues, but it does deal with the valve dynamics issue. We do have people on this forum that have the Ferrea hollow valve/beehive spring/titanium retainer combination running in their engines for several thousand miles now (4000? Vince, jump in here) with no valve failures from overheating. I do not think this combination has been babied either. Still we do not have 10000 mile or 100000 mile data to back this up. In absence of this, I think the spintron data would be valuable to establish confidence in the hollow valve solution.

Currently, I do not have a dog in this hunt, in that I am running new GM heads with new GM valves and dual Pac 1208x springs. I do hope to change to the PSI beehive springs and the Katech Ti retainers at a later date. My cam is not a Torquer, but it has similar specs.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C.L@hifloenginesinc
I would donate as well. Jason can you tell us why the valve guides are wearing so fast in the oem heads? do you believe it to be a machining issue? I'm sure you guys have looked at these heads from top to bottom, what do you think is causing this? This is really Sad for such a great car. Sorry guys I'm not going to turn this into a valve debate. I would just like to hear what Katech has to say about it. I'll pay 500 for the cause Thanks
They have said it's a machining issue and doing new bronze guides is the fix. So is that $500 or is that a typo? Very generous of you
Old 07-10-2014, 12:50 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

^^^
Thats cool but I will respond to yours ..............

Its very unfortunate that some here think they are above others and that their cause is just and holy. I see several posters in this thread who were just over in the SS valved thread talking about everything under the sun but what the thread was about. Why should this thread be different than every other thread about these heads thats been started????? Is everyone from now on going to shut up in any thread that you state "Nobody better reply to this" ???????????????????

Please tell me exactly what part of my post was so offensive to you??

DH
Old 07-10-2014, 03:10 AM
hoefi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
If it's the Torquer cam we have it. We have PSI springs, retainers, stock lifters, stock rockers. I would just need valves or if you want to test other spring combos.

It's going to be more than a couple hours for setup, testing, and reporting.

What engine acceleration rate is used to conduct the test? Or the machine can only hold the engine RPM constant while taking the measurements?

If the test can be done with an accelerating engine, I am willing to share the costs.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:04 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Thats cool but I will respond to yours ..............

Its very unfortunate that some here think they are above others and that their cause is just and holy. I see several posters in this thread who were just over in the SS valved thread talking about everything under the sun but what the thread was about. Why should this thread be different than every other thread about these heads thats been started????? Is everyone from now on going to shut up in any thread that you state "Nobody better reply to this" ???????????????????

Please tell me exactly what part of my post was so offensive to you??

DH
Howie I respect what you do for a living but on Corvette Forum...that's a different animal. And I don't want this thread to turn into Jason's last one so as soon as I see comments like yours, now that we have serious discussion going on, I'd rather put out the spark before it becomes a fire. If that happens then we won't be able to get anything done in here and lots of potential donations to what I feel is actual fact based unbiased research will be lost. So to sum up, if you want to see Jason run the hollow stem ferrea valve on the spintron or another combination I will add your name to the list of donors.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:29 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by C.L@hifloenginesinc
I would donate as well. Jason can you tell us why the valve guides are wearing so fast in the oem heads? do you believe it to be a machining issue? I'm sure you guys have looked at these heads from top to bottom, what do you think is causing this? This is really Sad for such a great car. Sorry guys I'm not going to turn this into a valve debate. I would just like to hear what Katech has to say about it. I'll pay 500 for the cause Thanks

That would be for another thread. Lets stay on topic.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by hoefi
What engine acceleration rate is used to conduct the test? Or the machine can only hold the engine RPM constant while taking the measurements?

If the test can be done with an accelerating engine, I am willing to share the costs.
It is a step test.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Howie I respect what you do for a living but on Corvette Forum...that's a different animal. And I don't want this thread to turn into Jason's last one so as soon as I see comments like yours, now that we have serious discussion going on, I'd rather put out the spark before it becomes a fire. If that happens then we won't be able to get anything done in here and lots of potential donations to what I feel is actual fact based unbiased research will be lost. So to sum up, if you want to see Jason run the hollow stem ferrea valve on the spintron or another combination I will add your name to the list of donors.
Well what I do for a living is irrelevant.

What I don't understand is, why didn't you direct your comment to Hib. He is the one who actually researches all this for a living. He is the one that stated that the test would be a waste of time, not me. In another current thread he stated that of all the options the valve you want to test is the "worse choice" available.

I would never and am not suggesting that the test should not proceed. If the cost is reasonable then I would chip in too. But if I did I would share the results with the entire community

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread