Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] God, I need a positive z06 story....this is like watching the news

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How about this? Pulled out on the track just after two Ferrari Cup cars went by at full song. As I came out of T3 and accelerated around T4 and up the back straight I could see them entering the next turn about a half mile ahead. After two more turns I came around the turn and saw them waiting for a passing signal to get by an M3. By the time I got to the M3 he just waved me by and they were about a quarter mile ahead. A couple more turns and they were on the front straight as I exited Turn 11 and accelerated to catch them. I caught the first one at the end of the front straight and he gave me a late pass into Turn 1. As I caught up with the first one it was too late to pass as we were going up through the Esses and onto the back straight again. He was trying to stay ahead of me but as we got to the entry to the bus stop with both our speeds hovering around 155 mph he gave me a passing signal right at the 600 ft mark. I dove inside of him held the throttle for a couple of ticks, hit the brakes hard sailed into the bus stop with him a few feet behind me, hit the throttle to exit and ran away from him. All with a car that cost less than half of his.

That is why you buy these cars.

Bill
Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Vettes R Us
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Hands down the best sports car in the world. Had mine since September of 2013 and still have not quite smiling. You will look for places to go just so you can drive it.

I have took out my fair share of the mustangs. Got in a drag with a supercharged convertible Saleen not long ago. In an unpopulated area he gave up at 135, his ***** wasn't big enough to keep up. The drive and handling on these cars stock are far beyond what you can imagine until you drive one.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 PM
mgrenwic
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by capevettes
He absolutely loved the ride. Did a couple of strong pulls and went through some twisties. He had a big grin on his face and talked about it all day. I don't think he will soon forget it.
Forget the college savings account...open him the Vette account
Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 PM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I was at a gas station and 2 different people were video taping my car as I pulled out...do it!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 PM
shadoquad
Racer

Bought my z a year ago, best car I've ever owned. It's love. Fast, beautiful, just amazing
Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

MGRENWIC,

Before you take ownership of your Z06, there are several things you need to know:

1. Be prepared for all the stares and gawks you will get driving the Z06

2. Don't be surprised when random cars on the freeway surround you to
try and take a photo of the Z06 "in action"

3. The amount of wannabe "racers" constantly "throwing revs" at you
to get your attention may become annoying.

4. Be prepared to engage in random conversation with people you meet
fueling up the Z06 at a gas station. It will happen....

These are just some of the things you have to look forward to. I hope you're ready

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut

Last edited by Corvette_Nut; 07-14-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:08 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Originally Posted by kenw
Great story, Bill
That's why you buy these cars. That is a great story and shows what they are capable of.

Every time I walk in the garage and see it sitting there, I am amazed at what a awesome car the Z06 is, and can't believe I own one.

Last edited by got2hav1; 07-13-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 PM
richie427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
Blew the doors off the new Jeep Srt8s when I left work. I know it wasnt a match at all, but he was a d-bag who kept goosing on the hwy.

Hope that tickled your ears..
same old story with my stock bone a fried vette. (that i am is still waiting 4 TSP TO UPS MY MOTOR. ) some gray hair old guy, pulled up on a red light next to me. Did not even take another look, Holy **** this old fuc-er wants some, i thought to my self, Fcky yea. Shook his doors, then i looked back, thats a bad a$$ motherfin 4x4. great truck 4 the kids to go on ski/snowboarding trips on the eastcoast. an you still got the American Muscle to go w/it.... long winter on the eastcoast.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How about this? Pulled out on the track just after two Ferrari Cup cars went by at full song. As I came out of T3 and accelerated around T4 and up the back straight I could see them entering the next turn about a half mile ahead. After two more turns I came around the turn and saw them waiting for a passing signal to get by an M3. By the time I got to the M3 he just waved me by and they were about a quarter mile ahead. A couple more turns and they were on the front straight as I exited Turn 11 and accelerated to catch them. I caught the first one at the end of the front straight and he gave me a late pass into Turn 1. As I caught up with the first one it was too late to pass as we were going up through the Esses and onto the back straight again. He was trying to stay ahead of me but as we got to the entry to the bus stop with both our speeds hovering around 155 mph he gave me a passing signal right at the 600 ft mark. I dove inside of him held the throttle for a couple of ticks, hit the brakes hard sailed into the bus stop with him a few feet behind me, hit the throttle to exit and ran away from him. All with a car that cost less than half of his.

That is why you buy these cars.

Bill

great driving, Bill !
Old 07-13-2014, 10:46 PM
2MFFZo6
Racer

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
To the OP. It's only a 2-3k "fix" if it needs to be addressed. It's not even a big deal to be honest.

Just fire the cost into your budget and don't worry about it.

Thank you.........................nuff said

This car is amazing
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 PM
richie427
Racer

Originally Posted by capevettes
I'm taking my 6 year old grandson out for his first ride in the Z06 today on his birthday. It is a surprise he will never forget.

My 06 Z06 has been the most reliable Corvette I have ever owned and I've had about 30 of them. Just a great car
Holy **** happy birthday keep on give-in. great story, would love to hear about it , got some good 1s 4 u 2, there smiles on there faces is never 4 got in. the rumble( CARS kid movie)( mine is victory red). holy ****, the storys they will tell there friends,it was like they were on a 6 flags Great Adventure Ride. will run deep in side them. give him a vette 4 his 17th birth day, or Will it to him. MY2cents
Old 07-14-2014, 12:08 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

How about the z's big brother c6r and almost a decade of dominance? And the c7r's 4 straight first place finishes - are you kidding me? It was great to see the viper fly off the track and crash into its own billboard today (no damage to the viper nor driver). Good to know the c7r has picked up where c6 left off...and I own a factory race car...well I'm making payments at least.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:29 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
If it was a Hellcat, you'd have been in his rearview.

No I wouldn't. In a take off it comes to who get the drop. The way he was rev rev revving I'd have tromped a Hellcat too. Nothing but smiles.

However I might consider getting a Hellcat. You have to wonder what a smaller pulley will do to SAE HP??
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On my way back from picking up my Z in Mooresville,NC I was enjoying the car going through the mountains when a very loud mustang came up behind me. He rode behind for a while then he pulled up along side me. I wasn't going to play with all the LEO's I had been seeing on the way but I couldn't resist. I let him go first from about 60 MPH then I just walked right away from him going up a long incline. In a couple of miles, here he came again pulling up along side of me. I looked over and smiled but he pointed like he wanted another beating so I gave him a thumbs up. Once again we were on a long uphill straight. I let him get about three cars ahead of me then blew past him like he wasn't even trying.....he didn't come back again !!! I wish I had more experience with the car because i was in third gear and still walking past him I wish I would of had it in 2nd and really let him feel a ZO6 beating. Since that day there has been several more mustangs put in thier place and one crotch rocket that wasn't allowed to pass me....(must have been a little one...lol)
Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 AM
pikemike428
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was with my wife on my way to dinner about 2 months ago. My car at the time was a bone stock Z with a M2W exhaust. Im driving down a 3 lane road pretty close to the restaurant, and a 2003/2004 Cobra pulls up next to me with a wide rear stance, large exhaust, and howling like its probably running 550rwhp+ or in that ballpark. I get next to him at 45 mph in 2nd gear, goose it a little bit, he jumps, and I smash the gas, and powershift into 3rd leaving him about 3 or so cars behind me-he blows past me and into some traffic then waits for me to come up again. While doing so there is a cop with his lights on inside of a neighborhood on the other side of the street, so I slow her down, and the guy keeps sitting next to me P!SSED off that the race didnt go longer, and keeps trying to get me to go again, my wife is yelling at me, and I am just smiling ear to ear as I turn into the restaurant parking lot with my AC on listening to Satellite radio.

Also pulled a 2004ish Gallardo pretty well on the highway on my way to South Beach
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 AM
sriser
Instructor

Haven't street raced anybody...I mean, why bother? The preponderance of vehicles out there are far slower and why waste $900 in rear rubber on some douche in a '02 Prelude with crap suspension geometry, a sewage pipe exhaust and neon underlighting?

I have owned 46 cars. Everything from multiple old Porsches, to old Chevy's, muscle cars, a Roush 427R (2010), Audi's and AMG's and NONE of those cars makes me smile every time I see it. Just this morning when I openend the garage and saw the Z sitting there, with its wide **** and massive steam roller rear tires, I thought "I can't believe this is my daily driver".

Did I spend money to fix the heads? Yep. And now I don't worry about it at all. Love this car more than all the rest. Now if it only had more power...muwahahahaha
Old 07-14-2014, 11:25 AM
sriser
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
MGRENWIC,

Before you take ownership of your Z06, there are several things you need to know:

1. Be prepared for all the stares and gawks you will get driving the Z06

2. Don't be surprised when random cars on the freeway surround you to
try and take a photo of the Z06 "in action"

3. The amount of wannabe "racers" constantly "throwing revs" at you
to get your attention may become annoying.

4. Be prepared to engage in random conversation with people you meet
fueling up the Z06 at gas station. It will happen....

These are just some of the things you have to look forward to. I hope you're ready

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut

I have a buddy who is NOT a car guy (drives a mini-van. Incidentally, mini-vans are tangible evidence that evil exists in the world ). Upon seeing the Z for the first time asked:

1. Do you like your new Cadillac (WTF?!!)
2. Are the back seats comfortable? (WTF II)
3. Is that a V8 or a V10?
4. Is it a manual (while he is sitting in the passenger seat holding the shifter)

Yes, there will be questions. Some of them totally idiotic. Be prepared to hold your snarky remarks.

Get notified of new replies

To God, I need a positive z06 story....this is like watching the news

Old 07-14-2014, 11:38 AM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's BS.

It's official: The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat has run an NHRA-certified quarter-mile in 11.2 seconds, at 125 mph. That's on stock production tires. With street-legal drag radials, it was certified at 10.8 seconds, 126 mph.

Ranger did 11.13 127.20 Bone Stock on Stock Tires,
10.74 129.50 Bone Stock on Drag Radials

So how is that faster?

Don't even get started on real track because that hellcat is a heavy turd that won't keep up with a Z06 in a road course.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,499 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Not with that jump to 58 MPH. 1/4 mile trap speed of the Z and Hellcat are within 1 mph of each other 124 - Z to 125-Hellcat. I'm sure the Z will pull after 150 also due to lighter weight and better aero.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:06 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Hellcat: 4400#/707 HP = 6.22 lb/hp
C6 Z06: 3200#/505 HP = 6.34 lb/hp

My guess is a driver's race in straight line. throw in a curve or two, and the U.S.S. Hellcat shows what a one-trick pony it is.

Quick Reply: [Z06] God, I need a positive z06 story....this is like watching the news