Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Had heads inspected today. Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the OP, sometimes an aftermarket warranty will let you use aftermarket parts in the repair if you pay any additional cost. Also, some dealers use outside machine shops for precision repairs (like cylinder head rebuilds). You should talk to both your dealer and your warranty company about that, explaining your concerns.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Where are you located?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by rsalco
Sorry, that is an inaccurate statement. But feel free to carry on with your all-too common belief system.

And, please, spare me all the anecdotal stories about this dealership and that dealership.
I’ll take the high road here and admit I was a bit harsh towards you in my last post, so I’ll apologize if I offended you in any way…that wasn’t my true intentions. I’m not a morning guy, what more can I say.

Having said that; you and I will NEVER see eye-to-eye on this subject matter. If you’ll have me believe that there is an army of “qualified” techs throughout our local dealerships across this great nation, just willing ready and able to jump in at a moment’s notice to diagnose any and all valve train issues with LS motors…you’re not going to get me there, at all. The truly talented techs that you speak of will migrate to the private sector which tends to be far more lucrative for them…it’s just the American way. Retention and turnover has always been a struggle for dealerships. I stand by my original statement...the good ones are few and far between.

In my opinion, your beliefs are far outweighed by the masses here; and rightfully so based on recorded comment after comment on this forum and others, which you choose to dismiss as anecdotal…and that’s your right to do so. Heck, even GM themselves tried to dismiss the valve train issues as nothing more than internet folklore. There is only one competent and qualified dealership that I’m aware of in the state of California that is truly educated on the topic at hand, and unfortunately they are about 400 miles north of me. I’ve talked to several dealers local to me, they all deny any knowledge of the valve train issues that plague the LS7 on occasion, or dismiss it as abuse by the driver.

That’s all I have to say…I’m out.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I’ll take the high road here and admit I was a bit harsh towards you in my last post, so I’ll apologize if I offended you in any way…that wasn’t my true intentions. I’m not a morning guy, what more can I say.

Having said that; you and I will NEVER see eye-to-eye on this subject matter. If you’ll have me believe that there is an army of “qualified” techs throughout our local dealerships across this great nation, just willing ready and able to jump in at a moment’s notice to diagnose any and all valve train issues with LS motors…you’re not going to get me there, at all. The truly talented techs that you speak of will migrate to the private sector which tends to be far more lucrative for them…it’s just the American way. Retention and turnover has always been a struggle for dealerships. I stand by my original statement...the good ones are few and far between.

In my opinion, your beliefs are far outweighed by the masses here; and rightfully so based on recorded comment after comment on this forum and others, which you choose to dismiss as anecdotal…and that’s your right to do so. Heck, even GM themselves tried to dismiss the valve train issues as nothing more than internet folklore. There is only one competent and qualified dealership that I’m aware of in the state of California that is truly educated on the topic at hand, and unfortunately they are about 400 miles north of me. I’ve talked to several dealers local to me, they all deny any knowledge of the valve train issues that plague the LS7 on occasion, or dismiss it as abuse by the driver.

That’s all I have to say…I’m out.
Exactly. In fact, Terry Wallace, the tech who does 99% of my mechanical work, used to work for GM (and then Corvettes of Houston) for many years, but now runs his own business.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:58 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarostar
Hi all. I took my 2007 Z06 in to get the heads/valves checked today at a local performance shop. 25k miles. They showed me that while the wiggle wasn't terrible, there was clear sign of wear on the tips of the intake valves that they were concerned about. He said that the outer metal layer had started to strip away and that the tips were starting to mushroom out and break up. They said they were OK with me driving the car home and for short drives, but that they highly recommended having the heads reworked. I'd like to get your input.

The shop recommended sending my heads to WCCH for the stage 2 service. They also suggested that I could pursue a cam swap or bolt on super charger while it was in. My questions:

1) The car came with a Hendrick Autoguard CPO maintenance repair service. Is there any chance that they will reliably fix this issue under their warranty to an extent that I can push the valve drop issue to the back of my mind, or is the stage 2 the clear way to go? The documentation says they cover valves and guides, but that doesn't mean they will cover a true fix. My next step is to take it back to the dealer and see what they will offer to do, but I'm not optimistic.

2) I want to make sure the car remains comfortable to drive on city streets, and I'm not looking to drag it. Is there a cam you would recommend? Any other smaller ticket items I should address while it is in?

3) Is there a good source of information for bolt-on LS7 superchargers? Not sure I will have the funds to go down that route.
Note the highlighted portion, failure is eminent, once metal starts to break down. Wiggle/Squiggle what ever, select a shop, many members have made recommendations based on past experience; Fix before your posting another LS-7 failure. You can present the findings to your warranty provider and cross your fingers...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Hi all. I took my 2007 Z06 in to get the heads/valves checked today at a local performance shop. 25k miles. They showed me that while the wiggle wasn't terrible, there was clear sign of wear on the tips of the intake valves that they were concerned about. He said that the outer metal layer had started to strip away and that the tips were starting to mushroom out and break up. They said they were OK with me driving the car home and for short drives, but that they highly recommended having the heads reworked. I'd like to get your input.

The shop recommended sending my heads to WCCH for the stage 2 service. They also suggested that I could pursue a cam swap or bolt on super charger while it was in. My questions:

1) The car came with a Hendrick Autoguard CPO maintenance repair service. Is there any chance that they will reliably fix this issue under their warranty to an extent that I can push the valve drop issue to the back of my mind, or is the stage 2 the clear way to go? The documentation says they cover valves and guides, but that doesn't mean they will cover a true fix. My next step is to take it back to the dealer and see what they will offer to do, but I'm not optimistic.

2) I want to make sure the car remains comfortable to drive on city streets, and I'm not looking to drag it. Is there a cam you would recommend? Any other smaller ticket items I should address while it is in?

3) Is there a good source of information for bolt-on LS7 superchargers? Not sure I will have the funds to go down that route.
I daily drive mine and road race it too. I am very happy with the head work that you were adivised to do. I have peace of mind having WCCH treat your heads. You don't need to do cam/SS unless you need more power.

DH
Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Tarostar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Where are you located?
I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area. I'll be taking it to the dealer (Performance Chevy, CH) next week to see what they have to say. I will inquire about OEM head replacement.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Tarostar
Advanced

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
Note the highlighted portion, failure is eminent, once metal starts to break down. Wiggle/Squiggle what ever, select a shop, many members have made recommendations based on past experience; Fix before your posting another LS-7 failure. You can present the findings to your warranty provider and cross your fingers...
One way or another, I'm going to get this addressed. The plan is to stick to the head work. The three places near me to consider are the Chevy dealership (Performance Chevy), Mayhem Motorsports, and RPM Racing.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have such a cam I got from quality Motorsport it idles great very mild cam made 540hp 527 TQ as I remember but u couldn't tell it had a cam ,it 10,000 miles on and I'll take $150 I'll pay shipping

Quick Reply: [Z06] Had heads inspected today. Advice needed.