Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Titanium Akrapovic Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Titanium Akrapovic Results

A couple of months ago I finally got a set of the titanium EVO exhausts from Akra. I already had the titanium mid pipe and B&B long tubes with no cats. Muffler removal went pretty well by lowering the rear cradle on the bolts. When I went to install the right side pipe it wasn't even close to going in. I eventually had to disconnect the rear shocks (DRM) and use a pry bar to wedge a spacer between the cradle and frame to get enough clearance. Getting the hanger bolts installed was a colossal PITA. I got the smaller carbon wrapped tips but had to wrap the output pipes with about 4 layers of aluminum tape to build up the diameter since the clamps have a positive stop and wouldn't tighten the tips enough to keep them from coming off. Everything lined up perfectly and after carefully weighing each and every part, I saved 21 pounds on the mufflers and tips. I had already saved 10 pounds with the mid pipe. The sound quality is incredible; low and mean. However, inside it is very loud. I have the Block-It pads installed and I have since added a Lloyd's trunk mat (Looks GREAT). It is still pretty loud. Not at all bad around town but got pretty annoying on a recent trip to Vegas. 70 to 75 MPH is really loud but anything over 85 gets much quieter
Gary
Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Thanks for the write up I thought the Akras' were "plug and play"
Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Yea.... Not sure why you had those issues with the Akras? Did you buy a used set?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems, did not have those with my Ti Akros. I am running them with the stock exhaust manifolds and cats to keep our emissions inspectors happy. No problem with fitment. Sound can get a bit tiresome on long trips, but love it around town and on the track. For long trips, just use the M2W to keep things quite civil in the car.

I did ride in a car that combined these with headers and it was way too loud for me!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

They are basically plug and play. The set was brand new and the left side pipe went right in. Right side was the pain. Other than the clamps not tightening, everything bolted right up with no problem. In Akra's defense, they made the system to sound good with the stock exhaust manifolds and my guess is that it is the catless headers that made the big sound difference. I also did back-to-back dynos and got 1 horsepower at peak and 9 ft lbs at peak. I didn't do it for the power and I consider the torque a bonus. As far as power goes I think the stock muffler system is actually very good. The MTW won't make the system any quieter. It just lets you manually open the valves.
Gary

Last edited by 40YRW8; 08-19-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Titanium Akrapovic Results

Quick Reply: [Z06] Titanium Akrapovic Results