Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Starter problems with 1 7/8" AR Headers... who knows the silver bullet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:34 PM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Starter problems with 1 7/8" AR Headers... who knows the silver bullet?

After having headers installed as part of the Lingenfelter 630 HP pkge I started having starter problems within about 30-45 days. Mostly after driving the car around and getting back into after 3-4 stops. Attempted to wrap the starter but damage was done. Did some searches and got some great feedback.

So I recently replaced the starter with an OE and wrapped the starter with DEI wrap from Summit along with some additional heat material. All the wires and cables around the starter looked good. LPE had also wrapped 99% of the cables in the area. Replaced the 6 year old original battery with 830 CCA battery because it wasn't going to last much longer anyway.

Problem still exists......car starts normal when cold or on the first restart after car is parked. Otherwise, once the engine has been sitting hot for 10-15 minutes it will not do a normal restart. Turns over and makes a sound as if the starter isn't getting enough power to crank the engine. If you disengage the starter by hitting the ignition button it stops. When you try it again the starter will start the engine.

Note: when I removed the original starter the bendix looked good and didn't appear to have any alignment issues so with it doing the exact same thing now that the battery and starter have been replaced, it's something else????

Anyone have the silver bullet as to what to check next???? Thanks for your feedback!

Rod
Old 08-13-2014, 03:48 PM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried header wrap on the headers?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:57 PM
NOSZ06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Me too

07 with 55k. I'm on starter number 3. This time I wrapped starter and wires with high heat wrap. It seems the phenolic material on starter solenoid breaks down resulting in the positive connection threaded stud to become loose. As this condition continues the voltage drops and slow start.....
Old 08-13-2014, 05:07 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

make sure your grounds are well connected as well.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

If you wrap the starter it will hold the engine heat transmitted to it through th connection with the motor the heat absorbed will heat soak and not be released through airflow. Seems wrapping or coating the headers to prevent the radiant heat from being transmitted to the starter in the first place may offer relief from this problem. If that's is a issue what about a reflective barrier between the starter and the headers may work. I know lg offers a sheet of some kind of thermal barrier with their headers.
Also try a ohm meter on the cables to check resistance and of course check your battery.

Just another perspective on the problem.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM
magredrod
Pro

flyby763, NOSZ06, Silvrhand & C5racr1

Appreciate the feedback! Going to continue process of elimination.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Let us know what u find out. Did u call arh?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:07 PM
magredrod
Pro

Checked the ground on side of block and fender today, both were tight so on checking with a meter. Have not called arh.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I have not had any issues, yet.... Now that I've said that, I'll probably loose a starter next week... I would advise against wrapping the starter though. I'd wrap the headers first. I've tried heat shields in the past on different vehicles and never had much luck with them. I would eventually just end up wrapping the headers.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter problems with 1 7/8" AR Headers... who knows the silver bullet?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Starter problems with 1 7/8" AR Headers... who knows the silver bullet?