Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question on the factory ac delco battery

Old 08-17-2014, 10:49 PM
gtodoug
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Question on the factory ac delco battery

I haven't started the car in 4 months. It is beyond dead. Is this a dry cell battery? I want to charge it with my sears Schumacher battery charger but it says not to charger dry cell batteries. I want to throw the charger on and see if I can revive this battery. Thanks in advance. 2008 c6z06 stock battery.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I replaced my Delco with the Red Top Optima...

Originally Posted by gtodoug
I haven't started the car in 4 months. It is beyond dead. Is this a dry cell battery? I want to charge it with my sears Schumacher battery charger but it says not to charger dry cell batteries. I want to throw the charger on and see if I can revive this battery. Thanks in advance. 2008 c6z06 stock battery.
The stock battery is a no maintenance wet cell. If it's an original battery it has reached it's service life and then some.

I wouldn't attempt to charge, but if you must, it might be wise to remove the battery from your Corvette. If for some reason she blows, you will be glad you did.

My 08 Z-06 sits (except for once a month warm ups) six to seven months each year. I purchased a Battery MINDer model 12248. It uses the latest in microprocessor controlled algorithms, coupled with desulphation-recovery circuits. With three charging rates of 2/4/8 amps.
It has provisions for sealed-valve regulated, flooded, absorbed glass mat (agm).

It also has a temperature sensor attached to a terminal to prevent overheating.

Last edited by MyLastCorvette; 08-17-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

my '08 battery died 2 years ago.... so yours it likely dead.
If it sat that long without a battery float charger it has likely discharged and sulphated the cells.
They are a pain in the butt to get out.... the compartment is tight and there is nothing to grip. You will likely need a special battery grabbing tool.
Because they are in an enclosure there is a specific type you need that has a port and hose to vent the hydrogen (explosive) that is created when the battery is charged.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 AM
C6zMyth
Advanced

Who buys a racecar and doesnt drive it.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 AM
gtodoug
Burning Brakes

Ok, I just bought the battery in November, so its not that old. I replaced the original battery at that point. It just hasn't been driven in a while. Is it safe to attempt to try and charge it ?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Ok, I just bought the battery in November, so its not that old. I replaced the original battery at that point. It just hasn't been driven in a while. Is it safe to attempt to try and charge it ?
As long as there is no physical damage (leaking, swelling, etc) you can attempt to recharge it.

Depending on how much sulfation damage was done while it was in a state of discharge, you may not be able to revive it to full capacity or any capacity for that matter.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 AM
gtodoug
Burning Brakes

Ok, charger is on. I will post back with results.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

A trickle charger(battery minder) is your friend on any of your collector or seldom driven vehicles or motorcycles.

And I have no problem closing the hatch with the charger cord in the far right back corner of the hatch area.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:05 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck. It may take a charge and work for a while, but I wouldn't trust it. The OEM batteries don't seem to charge well. Regardless, get a Battery Tender and use it when you are not going to be driving the car.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The OEM batteries last as long as any other battery in the same circumstances. After sitting this long I recommend you take the battery out of the car and trickle charge it for a few days to see if it comes back. Once you trickle charge it for a few days and it seems to be making a come back then move to a more serious charger. You don't want to dump massive current into a dead battery if you can help it. That is what usually kills them.

When the engine in my 08Z blew the car sat in the dealer's lot and shop for a period of 9 weeks and the almost 4 year old battery still had plenty of juice to fire the new engine. After that it sat for 4 weeks during the winter. The battery finally died a year later but it was a sudden death. One day it was just dead. That is just about how long most batteries last. Right around 5 years.

Bill
Old 08-18-2014, 11:53 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by C6zMyth
Who buys a racecar and doesn't drive it.

Originally Posted by erick_e
As long as there is no physical damage (leaking, swelling, etc) you can attempt to recharge it.

Depending on how much sulfation damage was done while it was in a state of discharge, you may not be able to revive it to full capacity or any capacity for that matter.
kkk^^
Originally Posted by pkincy
A trickle charger(battery minder) is your friend on any of your collector or seldom driven vehicles or motorcycles.

And I have no problem closing the hatch with the charger cord in the far right back corner of the hatch area.
I drilled a small hole on the inside corner of the bottom of the battery box. Through this hole are the wires for my "Battery Tender." I then took black sealer and sealed the hole, with the wires extending out about 1/4 inch. When I drive my Corvette I install the caps so no wires are exposed. That way I don't have the hatch unlatched and a cord running down the back of my machine. As far as fumes, the vent is still in place; Since the Optima does not have a provision to attach to the factory vent hose. I purchased a thin pliable plastic sheet. With double sided tape sealed the top of the battery compartment, so fumes would not enter the passenger area.

To date, I have had no issues with smells, or any damage to the battery box; Or the carpet above the battery location...
Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

In my experience, GM OEM batteries are the BEST I've had. I bought a new Nissan Maxima and that OEM battery not only died, it started leaking acid everywhere. Right at 18mos service.

I NEVER had that happen with ANY GM vehicle I ever owned. And until I bought this Nissan, GM is all I ever owned.

ADD: Nissan OEM batteries SUCK....

Last edited by tim414; 08-19-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
In my experience, GM OEM batteries are the BEST I've had. I bought a new Nissan Maxima and that OEM battery not only died, it started leaking acid everywhere. Right at 18mos service.

I NEVER had that happen with ANY GM vehicle I ever owned. And until I bought this Nissan, GM is all I ever owned.

AMEN to that. I've had great luck with AC Delco batteries both in my '67' and "08 Z". In fact, the AC Delco in my 67 is 13 years old, still load tests good and starts every time. Of course I keep a tender on both.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:10 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Default Glad Delco has worked for you, because it didn't for myself...

Originally Posted by tim414

Let's go back to the spring of 08 and my Z has less than 500mi on the clock. I have multiply battery tenders, for the machines that sit. Naturally I hooked up the tender to my 08 Z06 purchased 01/04/08. (originally through the hatch down the back side of the Z
)

So it's spring 08 and the county has swept the "Gravel" off the roads, and it's time for a cruse to our favorite restaurant for lunch.

She starts a little slow, but I know it will charge in the hour trip to lunch. So were enjoying lunch looking at my "Awesome Last Corvette" through the window. As we are walking to-wards the Z, I'm babbling on how nice she is, and how happy I am to be able to afford such a machine. (the previous 5 since 69 were used)

We slide into the comfy rich leather seats and I thumb the starter button. All I hear is a weird bunch of clicks, then the realization she's "Stone Cold Dead" hits me, now what, the dealer is two hours away and it's a Sunday. (I have NO tools, I do now but not then)

So I think, there is a Sears in the Mall, and off I go on foot. I told the kid, I'll purchase your best battery that fits the box if your will loan me a couple tools. When he found out what I had, he loaded a new Sears Battery into his Japanese PU and out to the dead Z we went.

Moving forward I took the dead Delco to a local dealer (not the purchasing dealer of the Z) who said they would test the battery and if bad would replace. The little weasels who are now out of business claimed after charging nothing was wrong. I took it to NAPA who tested the perfectly good charged battery. They have a electronic load tester/analyzer, and said it has a bad cell.

Since the Sears Platinum was already installed I ran it with "NO" problems until this spring, when I went to the "Red" top Optima.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

its done, put it to rest. battery that is 6 years old, cant ask for more than that. operating these cars stresses out the whole electrical system. you can do damage not having proper voltage at all times. I recommend not even jump starting unless its absolutely necessary. and only attempt to start knowing you have full juice. and as always, never never use your alternator to charge your battery!! alternators maintain battery voltage, they are not battery chargers, although it will work don't do it

Last edited by erikszr1; 08-19-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I believe most people have good luck with the OEM AC Delco battery, (except for those that had a GM car that came the side post AC Delco batteries that leaked from the positive side post). When the 4 year old battery in my 09 Z06 died(my fault it died. Doesn't do much to keep the battery charged when I connected my float charger to the battery but forgot to plug the darn thing in the wall socket.)

I went with an AutoZone Duralast Gold battery that has the vent. One reason is that I have the AutoZone batteries in my three other cars with zero problems and long lifespans and, if I need a warranty replacement, there are more AutoZone stores around than AC Delco stores(especially on a Sunday).

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-20-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 AM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I believe most people have good luck with the OEM AC Delco battery, (except for those that had a GM car that came the side post AC Delco batteries that leaked from the positive side post). When the 4 year old battery in my 09 Z06 died(my fault it died. Doesn't do much to keep the battery charged when I connected my float charger to the battery but forgot to plug the darn thing in the wall socket.)

I went with an AutoZone Duralast Gold battery that has the vent. One reason is that I have the AutoZone batteries in my three other cars with zero problems and long lifespans and, if I need a warranty replacement, there are more AutoZone stores around than AC Delco stores(especially on a Sunday).
Most chargers work best when plugged in...

Get notified of new replies

To Question on the factory ac delco battery

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Question on the factory ac delco battery