Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Upgrading:Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:05 AM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upgrading:Cooling System

hola amigos,

well as many of you know now am moving forward on that F1X+spray setup and now I paid for my new long block, the problem is all about that cooling system am gonna run.

the idea is I would love to take my +1500 Z to work "sometimes" or maybe pick my son from school so I decided to discus this topic with the " helpful people in here " so first of all heres my review about my old cooling setup.
was running RD radiator with 160T wasn't bad but to be honest when I was running only my procharged the coolant was better than it was while adding the radiator and H/C kit. also I faced some issues with my DP big mouth cause the filter was hitting the radiator so I tried to cut the DP and fix it to set well.

what I want now is not facing the same problems also am looking for more coolant as much as I can since am living in Hellbox.

please do me a favour if you're gonna be unhelpful then don't post here cause I don't have a time to waste.

sorry for my weak english hope you guys understand what am saying up there.

best,
Mubarak.

Last edited by ProEFI; 10-10-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:19 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,093 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by ProEFI
hola amigos,

well as many of you know now am moving forward on that F1X+spray setup and now I paid for my new long block, the problem is all about that cooling system am gonna run.

the idea is I would love to take my +1500 Z to work "sometimes" or maybe pick my son from school so I decided to discus this topic with the " helpful people in here " so first of all heres my review about my old cooling setup.
was running RD radiator with 160T wasn't bad but to be honest when I was running only my procharged the coolant was better than it was while adding the radiator and H/C kit. also I faced some issues with my DP big mouth cause the filter was hitting the radiator so I tried to cut the DP and fix it to set well.

what I want now is not facing the same problems also am looking for more coolant as much as I can since am living in Hellbox.

please do me a favour if you're gonna be unhelpful then don't post here cause I don't have a time to waste.

best,
Mubarak.
Nice way to ask for help...
Old 10-10-2014, 08:21 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Fans

Not sure what you have for radiator fans now but I would suggest getting some dual ones. Most of the time the car is fine while driving along it is when it is stopped that issues usually arise. Also not sure what year your Z is but they switched water pumps in 2009 moving the water outlet to drivers side (giving more room for the TB/CAI) however the pulley was narrowed so that might not work for you.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ProEFI
hola amigos,

best,
Mubarak.
Yet you expect someone else to waste their time to help you?

You might as well delete this thread and start over with a new attitude.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

I will give the OP the benifit of the doubt and go with the above mentioned sentence in bold as a simple miscommunication or difference in language's/culture's.
What radiator setup are you currently running? I saw above you mentioned the RD radiator, are you still running the RD?
Are you aware that there is waterless coolant you can run in place of your typical dexcool. They system needs to be completely flushed for the waterless coolant but we have seen some cooler temps on our extreme FI cars by switching to the waterless coolant. Just an idea you might concider researching.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Dual fans didn't help.

Vented hood helped.

Big *** oil cooler with fan helps prolong overheating, but no prevent it.

Do you need a/c? Ditching a/c condenser works wonders. Spacing it out, getting a new clean one, and boxing it all in helps. While moving, car should be plenty cool, it is air flow when stopped that is an issue. The new Spal brushless fans are pretty damn good, but pricey and need to be custom mounted/shrouded. Expect $700-800 to get one setup.

I've heard mixed reports of electric water pumps helping since they move more fluid at idle, but I doubt they would be enough to overcome lack of airflow/fans.

Other options I've seen out here is to rig up a water spray on a switch that sprays down the a/c and radiator so when you are stopped at a light, you can spritz them to keep coolant temps down until you are moving again.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:27 PM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys for the replays I'll make some more reads about what all of you mentioned here.

Originally Posted by double06
Not sure what you have for radiator fans now but I would suggest getting some dual ones. Most of the time the car is fine while driving along it is when it is stopped that issues usually arise. Also not sure what year your Z is but they switched water pumps in 2009 moving the water outlet to drivers side (giving more room for the TB/CAI) however the pulley was narrowed so that might not work for you.
as I mentioned up there am running Ron Davis radiator with dual fans now but it's not doing good with me at all!!!
my Z is an 06 btw

Originally Posted by American Heritage
I will give the OP the benifit of the doubt and go with the above mentioned sentence in bold as a simple miscommunication or difference in language's/culture's.
What radiator setup are you currently running? I saw above you mentioned the RD radiator, are you still running the RD?
Are you aware that there is waterless coolant you can run in place of your typical dexcool. They system needs to be completely flushed for the waterless coolant but we have seen some cooler temps on our extreme FI cars by switching to the waterless coolant. Just an idea you might concider researching.
Still using the RD's but not for too long actually planning to sell the radiator and get another one maybe thicker just to make sure everything is works well, one of my friends suggest to get back to the OEM fan with my RD radiator.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Dual fans didn't help.

Vented hood helped.

Do you need a/c? Ditching a/c condenser works wonders. Spacing it out, getting a new clean one, and boxing it all in helps. While moving, car should be plenty cool, it is air flow when stopped that is an issue. The new Spal brushless fans are pretty damn good, but pricey and need to be custom mounted/shrouded. Expect $700-800 to get one setup.

I've heard mixed reports of electric water pumps helping since they move more fluid at idle, but I doubt they would be enough to overcome lack of airflow/fans.

Other options I've seen out here is to rig up a water spray on a switch that sprays down the a/c and radiator so when you are stopped at a light, you can spritz them to keep coolant temps down until you are moving again.
about the dual fans that what I thud they're waste of time and money, yes I need my A/C for sure heat here is killing us 52*C in summer man. I was planning to do a water spray on switch if there is a kit available feel free to hit me up with the information.

best,
Mubarak.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:33 PM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Yet you expect someone else to waste their time to help you?

You might as well delete this thread and start over with a new attitude.
when you find some jumpy boys saying things like " go learn some english " or what ever you should but that note just to let them knows that you're working now not playing. that's the point, and used to replay at least am trying to use your own language while you don't know anything about my language.

that's the point why I added that note.

وشكراً
Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Never seen a water spray kit. You could fab one up easy enough. Just get a meth pump from any of those systems, or even just reroute your windshield washer nozzles to the radiator. That would be the easiest, then just use the built in switch in the car for that.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a wild idea, since you seem to have extreme conditions to deal with (both heat and horsepower).

Breathless Performance used to offer an oil cooler setup that uses dual oil coolers mounted somewhere behind the front bumper, probably behind the fog lights. Get or construct something like that, but plumb it into the coolant system instead of the oil system (maybe disconnect the heater core and use those block fitting for inlet/outlet). Dunno if a 12-AN cooler would be sufficient size for coolant. You'd probably need to custom fabricate a fan for each of the coolers and add a controller (that could probably be piggy-backed onto the existing controller, maybe by something simply as a control relay to bring in extra power directly from the fuse block).

A local radiator shop may be able to fabricate a couple small radiators, or you could talk to one of the manufacturers in the U.S.

This would give you
1. extra coolant capacity, and
2. extra heat dissipation capacity.

Link to image (only)
Old 10-11-2014, 12:17 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Never seen a water spray kit. You could fab one up easy enough. Just get a meth pump from any of those systems, or even just reroute your windshield washer nozzles to the radiator. That would be the easiest, then just use the built in switch in the car for that.
got it I'll see what I can do with it if I didn't find something for my needs thanks!! buddy.

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Here's a wild idea, since you seem to have extreme conditions to deal with (both heat and horsepower).

Breathless Performance used to offer an oil cooler setup that uses dual oil coolers mounted somewhere behind the front bumper, probably behind the fog lights. Get or construct something like that, but plumb it into the coolant system instead of the oil system (maybe disconnect the heater core and use those block fitting for inlet/outlet). Dunno if a 12-AN cooler would be sufficient size for coolant. You'd probably need to custom fabricate a fan for each of the coolers and add a controller (that could probably be piggy-backed onto the existing controller, maybe by something simply as a control relay to bring in extra power directly from the fuse block).

A local radiator shop may be able to fabricate a couple small radiators, or you could talk to one of the manufacturers in the U.S.

This would give you
1. extra coolant capacity, and
2. extra heat dissipation capacity.

Link to image (only)
that thing is amazing if the front bumper can get back to place.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Dual fans didn't help.

Vented hood helped.

You need a vented hood.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:20 AM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CGZO6
You need a vented hood.
trying to find a vented hood to fit with my holley EFI intake but I find nothing yet.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:16 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Default Fans

Unreals idea maybe pretty good about the new Spal brushless fans from what I can see they flow much more under real world conditions (like through radiator, condenser) and draw less current. I saw somewhere over 50% more under certain conditions. There was something in the C3 section with Tom Dewitt on these fans. The big thing here is to get air going at idle and or escape via the hood.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:20 PM
ProEFI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by double06
Unreals idea maybe pretty good about the new Spal brushless fans from what I can see they flow much more under real world conditions (like through radiator, condenser) and draw less current. I saw somewhere over 50% more under certain conditions. There was something in the C3 section with Tom Dewitt on these fans. The big thing here is to get air going at idle and or escape via the hood.
I'll look forward for that. thanks buddy.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Default Type in brushless in C3 Tech section

In the look up function and you will find it there. it was done in last few months. Basically the brushless fan is not as sensitive to obstructions (like radiator and AC condensor) as a regular fan on performance. For example your twin fans flow 2700 cfm in open air but put a radiator/condenser in front and it may only flow 1300 cfm where as the brushless (which starts out also at 2700 cfm in open air) might be 1700 cfm with the same obstructions.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading:Cooling System

Quick Reply: [Z06] Upgrading:Cooling System