Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6Zo6 owner test drives C7

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Default C6Zo6 owner test drives C7

Was out kicking tires last night and I test drove for a second time a c7 .

The car felt solid. and they are loud starting up and at idle standing outside. Under full on acceleration, my 2009 C6Z with the older style NPP seems to have a louder exhaust note, at least inside the cabin.

I flogged the c7 pretty good. Power feeling by seat of the pants seems no where near the C6 Zo6 for the lt1 only being rated at 40hp less. I guess that extra weight makes a big difference. Or maybe the LT's have smaller horses. What surprised me is how The C7 Lt1 car feels like it runs out of wind in the upper rpm range. just kind of falls flat compared to the c6Z or for that matter my old c4 zr1.

The sales guy didn't require that he go on the ride with me. So I took my girlfriend-- She really commented on how much quicker the c6zo6 felt. She said she didn't get the same rush of acceleration in the c7 as a passenger compared to my c6z.

The good news is The dealer is taking orders on the c7zo6. I am sure that will fix the acceleration problem of the base c7. The dealer has 4 open allocations and will sell at sticker price of 78k for a base zo6 1lz manual and 83k for a 2lz manual.

After the chevy dealer went to a Local dodge dealer that has a couple of 2014 vipers. They seem desperate to sell. i recall another forum member bought a brand new 2013 for around 80k. They wouldn't let me test the viper. They said the General manager wasn't working and vipers only get test driven when he is there to go along for the test drive. 3 minutes after i was driving away from the dealership the salesrep called and offered me 20k of the 129k sticker price. I thought the 2015's were getting a 15k or 20k reduction right off the bat on their MSRP. I bet some hard nosed haggling when its snowing outside with 6 inches of prior accumulation could get you that 129k viper out the door for the price of a base c7zo6. While Vipers are very cool they kind of have a clown shoe thing going on when you see one driving down the road.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Didn't SRT announce some massive discount on all current vipers in stock? So yea that $129k price and them calling you back...LOL.

I haven't driven a C7 stingray yet as I don't want to fall asleep behind the wheel but thanks for the review. Hard to get in and compare power with other vettes when you own a C6Z.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:49 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

The car felt solid. and they are loud starting up and at idle standing outside. Under full on acceleration, my 2009 C6Z with the older style NPP seems to have a louder exhaust note, at least inside the cabin.

I flogged the c7 pretty good. Power feeling by seat of the pants seems no where near the C6 Zo6 for the lt1 only being rated at 40hp less. I guess that extra weight makes a big difference. Or maybe the LT's have smaller horses. What surprised me is how The C7 Lt1 car feels like it runs out of wind in the upper rpm range. just kind of falls flat compared to the c6Z or for that matter my old c4 zr1.

The sales guy didn't require that he go on the ride with me. So I took my girlfriend-- She really commented on how much quicker the c6zo6 felt. She said she didn't get the same rush of acceleration in the c7 as a passenger compared to my c6z.

The good news is The dealer is taking orders on the c7zo6. I am sure that will fix the acceleration problem of the base c7. The dealer has 4 open allocations and will sell at sticker price of 78k for a base zo6 1lz manual and 83k for a 2lz manual.

After the chevy dealer went to a Local dodge dealer that has a couple of 2014 vipers. They seem desperate to sell. i recall another forum member bought a brand new 2013 for around 80k. They wouldn't let me test the viper. They said the General manager wasn't working and vipers only get test driven when he is there to go along for the test drive. 3 minutes after i was driving away from the dealership the salesrep called and offered me 20k of the 129k sticker price. I thought the 2015's were getting a 15k or 20k reduction right off the bat on their MSRP. I bet some hard nosed haggling when its snowing outside with 6 inches of prior accumulation could get you that 129k viper out the door for the price of a base c7zo6. While Vipers are very cool they kind of have a clown shoe thing going on when you see one driving down the road.
That's stll a crappy deal on a Viper. Brand new GTS sold last month here in Chicago for 85k. Dealers are smokin crack on this car. The prices will continue to fall on the Viper, as they continue to just sit in inventory. Debacle......
Old 11-11-2014, 08:13 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the C7 vs C6Z06. I also have a Cyber/Grey 09 Z and while I have not driven a C7 yet I know I won't let go of my Z. If I could afford the new Z06, well maybe.

I recently had Head/Cam/Headers done, it was a beast before now its just insane.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 PM
CallawayC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
That's stll a crappy deal on a Viper. Brand new GTS sold last month here in Chicago for 85k. Dealers are smokin crack on this car. The prices will continue to fall on the Viper, as they continue to just sit in inventory. Debacle......
Buddy just picked up a brand new GTS with every option possible for $74k. He was second guessing his purchase thereafter. I told him to hold off and get the Z...oh well
Old 11-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

That last part made me And yes, the LT1 has nice torque right off the bottom but it just can't hang with the LS7 from midrange on up- nor would I expect it to. Still, pretty damned strong for a base motor.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
Thanks for sharing your impressions of the C7 vs C6Z06. I also have a Cyber/Grey 09 Z and while I have not driven a C7 yet I know I won't let go of my Z. If I could afford the new Z06, well maybe.

I recently had Head/Cam/Headers done, it was a beast before now its just insane.
How were the valves, were they in spec on the wiggle test? did you go solid stainless on the valves or stay with hollow sodium filled?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:09 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I confirmed the same thing as you. But its not surprising when you consider the C7 weighs a lot more than the C6 Z06 and has less power. I do remember some guys in C7 general saying a year ago that that the C7 was just as fast as the C6 Z06. Its good you did not post this in C7 general or there would be trouble.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Chevyfanaddict
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The c7 look just isnt growing on me at all and i see one driving down the road almost everyday now and it just isnt even exciting to see. Now... When I see a C6z06 driving down the road, which isnt very often, I still get all excited even though i own one lol. They are just bad *** lookin ***** and sexy as hell.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:17 AM
hoserack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevy Nailed it on the C6 Z06. IMHO
I just love the car and I have had 2 different ones since 07.
There is no other car I want to buy.
The C7, even the Z06 doesn't do it for me.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Chevyfanaddict
The c7 look just isnt growing on me at all and i see one driving down the road almost everyday now and it just isnt even exciting to see. Now... When I see a C6z06 driving down the road, which isnt very often, I still get all excited even though i own one lol. They are just bad *** lookin ***** and sexy as hell.
Yep...you nailed it!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw

I also have a Cyber/Grey 09Z with same mods and insane describes the feeling turning these things loose. Best car iv ever owned.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:46 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

That is how I felt when I drove my buddies H/C C6Z.... (FSTFRC)... Night and day from my stroked C5Z... Love the C6Z's and will have one! C7's.... not so much..
Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 AM
tran03
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A year ago I test drove the C7 convertible and it was no where near the power and feel of the C6Z06. Anyone who tells you that it has the same TQ feel as the C6Z06 has clearly not driven a C6Z06.

The C6Z06 is raw power, pulls to redline and feels strong in any gear. The C7 is refined, docile, and sophisticated. I'm talking stock obviously. Do some basic mods to the LT1 and you have a comparable beast.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednlux
Buddy just picked up a brand new GTS with every option possible for $74k. He was second guessing his purchase thereafter. I told him to hold off and get the Z...oh well
Damn!!! That is one hell of a deal on a GTS.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyfanaddict

I'm with Too-Fast on this ... You nailed it
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I'm with you guys, the C6 Z06 still looks great and will age better I think, the base C7 leaves me feeling kind of like meh.....maybe the C7 Z06 will be a bit better?

Last edited by wrh3; 11-18-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Zo6 owner test drives C7

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Zo6 owner test drives C7