Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help with leaky valve covers! any suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:23 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Help with leaky valve covers! any suggestions...

Last couple times I have re-installed the Pro Form Valve covers the driver side leaks right above the headers. I replaced the rubber gasket and still. this time i even cranked them down really good hopeing this would take care of it and nothing. I still get a significant leak right around the front of the cover towards the bottom.

is there some kind of system or method to tightening these?

the first couple times i put these on I never had a problem, then after removing them every time to re-adjust the rockers i noticed the leak was becoming more persistent.

Passenger side leaked once but after going back and re tightning it actually stopped.

this hasn't worked for the driver side

I have inspected the gasket for any nicks and the cover groove looks perfect, no nicks and looks perfectly straight with a straight edge.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Actually looking closer it doenst look like its the cover! what else can leak oil there?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

I can't find the thread I posted back in 2012 when I installed mine but the o-ring under the washer doesn't work. I found a set of rubber bonderized stainless steel washers sold by McMaster Carr with the perfect ID. The rubber is about 0.030" think and doesn't squirt out when torqued down. I'm surprised you're having the problem because I shared the info with Pro Form and they said they were going to start using them. I'll look around and see if I can find the purchase info. Mine have been on for over 2 years and never the first drip or stain of oil.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:16 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

I'm familiar with the rubber washers in fact I bought them myself from mac master Carr along with some nice size washers too. It's definitely not leaking from the top and as you can see in the last pic the gasket looks quenched. I don't think it's leaking from the valve cover. Can that oil be coming from anywhere else?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rob20rx7
I'm familiar with the rubber washers in fact I bought them myself from mac master Carr along with some nice size washers too. It's definitely not leaking from the top and as you can see in the last pic the gasket looks quenched. I don't think it's leaking from the valve cover. Can that oil be coming from anywhere else?
Proform = chinese junk. Sh*tcan them and cut your losses. Try some quality parts instead

Old 12-28-2014, 11:33 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

ive gone out there to clean the covers like three times. there is just no other place for oil to come from but the cover seal.

on some of the pictures it looks like the cover is not completly parallel to the head seal. its like if it rounds upward towards the front of the engine and along the header line its not so straight. almost as it if were bowed.

Im heading back to my shop on tuesday to take them off and and check them against eachother.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I've had mine off/on several times. They do not leak anywhere. I am also using the washers that Undy does not like.

You do have to be careful setting them in place, and make sure the spacer is installed completely or it could hold the cover up. I do not tighten them like an enraged gorilla either. Just enough to put a squish on the washers.

On the front DR side, I had to grind the alternator a fair amount to allow the cover to set on the head right. I'm assuming you already did that??

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Proform = chinese junk. Sh*tcan them and cut your losses. Try some quality parts instead
They are not "junk" Mark. Stop being so quick to judge. With the Crower set up, you have two options, 1) cover spacers 2) taller covers

I refuse to spend a grand on f'ing valve covers. The Pro-Form run about 300, plus the costs to relocate the coils.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Undy
Safety Car

You're using the wrong washer set-up. The rubber is bonded to the stainless steel washer, not a rubber washer and a stainless steel washer. It is a one piece washer.

Here's a "quote" off Mccmaster Carr's website on the washers;

"Neoprene & 18-8 Stainless Steel Bonded Sealing Washer, Number 10 Screw Size, 0.200" ID, 0.625" OD"

I can't remember the Proform valve cover screw (10 or 12?) size. If you can't find them on their website PM me and I'll help.

Last edited by Undy; 12-29-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:40 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I've had mine off/on several times. They do not leak anywhere. I am also using the washers that Undy does not like.

You do have to be careful setting them in place, and make sure the spacer is installed completely or it could hold the cover up. I do not tighten them like an enraged gorilla either. Just enough to put a squish on the washers.

On the front DR side, I had to grind the alternator a fair amount to allow the cover to set on the head right. I'm assuming you already did that??

They are not "junk" Mark. Stop being so quick to judge. With the Crower set up, you have two options, 1) cover spacers 2) taller covers

I refuse to spend a grand on f'ing valve covers. The Pro-Form run about 300, plus the costs to relocate the coils.
where did you have to grind the alternator? i didnt grind mine at all
Old 12-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

The cooling fins. I'm pretty surprised you got the cover to drop onto the head without whittling the fins down actually. Mine was very obvious.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Undy
Safety Car

If you didn't grind it then the valve cover isn't going down all the way. I told Michael about it. My set was the first install.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with leaky valve covers! any suggestions...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with leaky valve covers! any suggestions...