Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 03:19 PM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without documented cases of injury or damage on public highways due to the claimed defect I would be very surprised if the NHTSA does anything at all. It is not their mandate to act as a federal consumer regulator for alleged defective products. That is a matter for other federal and state agencies, and generally, tort law.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:28 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rsalco
Without documented cases of injury or damage on public highways due to the claimed defect I would be very surprised if the NHTSA does anything at all. It is not their mandate to act as a federal consumer regulator for alleged defective products. That is a matter for other federal and state agencies, and generally, tort law.
If they issued a recall on headlights due to numerous owners reporting it on the NHTSA Website, why would this be any different?
The following users liked this post:
hippiefreak67 (10-27-2019)
Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Were you able to salvage the block or was it toast? Glad to here your quick reaction contained the oil and coolant for the safety of others on the track.
Block was cracked and junk!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Block was cracked and junk!
Sorry to hear, these motors are not cheap. Would you mind filing a complaint?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

done!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:25 PM
4vettezo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you read the recent thread about a guy doing a build, ordered brand new heads from GM, one was fine the other was out of spec, he sent it back.
Yea I saw that thread and it rekindled my concerns.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:28 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
done!
Thank you, keep them coming
Old 01-06-2015, 05:49 PM
markzeronine
Pro

Great idea, however I think far to little ls7s were made for them to do anything.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:54 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by markzeronine
Great idea, however I think far to little ls7s were made for them to do anything.
There were over 29,000 Z06's produced, not to mention crate motors on top of that, it's worth a try since GM is still putting their head in the sand.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:24 PM
markzeronine
Pro

Hey I'm completely for it. It's just nothing compared to say a chevy sonic. I'll write a letter soon
Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

If they issued a recall on headlights due to numerous owners reporting it on the NHTSA Website, why would this be any different?
NHTSA is concerned about safety issues. Did the defect cause an accident, injury, or fatality? Race track incidents don't count.

So anyone that files a complaint should put a safety component into their complaint, otherwise it will carry little weight. And unfortunately, conjecture (as in, if this happens, here are possible resulting consequences) doesn't count.

I was a co-op student working one summer in the legal department of an automaker, and one of my tasks was to help investigate the complaints that DOT/NHTSA forwarded to us, as a preliminary to their deciding whether or not to ask for a "campaign". Only documented incidents "counted" in terms of determining an incident rate or severity. And "off road" issues, be it track days, drag strip, or sand dunes, weren't considered.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:32 PM
acrace
Drifting

Originally Posted by markzeronine
Quantity doesn't matter. The Feds actually made Ferrari recall some 458s because the emergency trunk release (on the inside, to allow escape if someone gets locked in a trunk) didn't properly function.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's keep this going!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:57 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by NHRA95
Let's keep this going!
I have also reached out to a Law Firm to see if they want to run with this as well, will keep you posted once I speak with them about it.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Complaint filed.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:19 PM
cdavekirk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

About three years ago my wife, son and I were traveling on a section of Rt. 100 outside of Baltimore. We were following a small mini-van doing approximately 65 and about 8 to 10 car lengths back. It was a sunny day and suddenly out of nowhere we were in what appeared to be the densest pocket of fog I had ever seen. I don't know if I could even see halfway down our hood. My wife started screaming on top of it. LOL. Turns out the mini-van in front of us grenaded its motor and laid down a massively thick cloud of smoke. I have no idea how I kept from missing him. Fortunately the traffic was very light that day and we were pretty much by ourselves on the highway. Rt. 100 is a three lane connector that can get busy as hell on weekday. If that would happened at rush hour I know it would have been a very very bad outcome. There would have been many many vehicles who would have been suddenly blinded as we were. Certainly with all of the documented catastrophic failures of this engine the NHTSA should take a look.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:28 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Complaint filed.
Thanks, keep them coming

Get notified of new replies

To NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue

Old 01-06-2015, 08:30 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by cdavekirk
About three years ago my wife, son and I were traveling on a section of Rt. 100 outside of Baltimore. We were following a small mini-van doing approximately 65 and about 8 to 10 car lengths back. It was a sunny day and suddenly out of nowhere we were in what appeared to be the densest pocket of fog I had ever seen. I don't know if I could even see halfway down our hood. My wife started screaming on top of it. LOL. Turns out the mini-van in front of us grenaded its motor and laid down a massively thick cloud of smoke. I have no idea how I kept from missing him. Fortunately the traffic was very light that day and we were pretty much by ourselves on the highway. Rt. 100 is a three lane connector that can get busy as hell on weekday. If that would happened at rush hour I know it would have been a very very bad outcome. There would have been many many vehicles who would have been suddenly blinded as we were. Certainly with all of the documented catastrophic failures of this engine the NHTSA should take a look.
Glad you drove out of harms way. This is exactly the same thing that could happen with a Z06 dropping a valve going down the road, this is a safety concern.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by acrace
NHTSA is concerned about safety issues. Did the defect cause an accident, injury, or fatality? Race track incidents don't count.

So anyone that files a complaint should put a safety component into their complaint, otherwise it will carry little weight. And unfortunately, conjecture (as in, if this happens, here are possible resulting consequences) doesn't count.

I was a co-op student working one summer in the legal department of an automaker, and one of my tasks was to help investigate the complaints that DOT/NHTSA forwarded to us, as a preliminary to their deciding whether or not to ask for a "campaign". Only documented incidents "counted" in terms of determining an incident rate or severity. And "off road" issues, be it track days, drag strip, or sand dunes, weren't considered.
How many "accident, injury, or fatality" were caused by the light weight polycarbonate roof panel coming loose on the 2005 & 2006 C6's? I believe they were a safety recall because of the potential to cause "accident, injury, or fatality" if they were ignored. Same with the headlights.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:21 AM
acrace
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
How many "accident, injury, or fatality" were caused by the light weight polycarbonate roof panel coming loose on the 2005 & 2006 C6's? I believe they were a safety recall because of the potential to cause "accident, injury, or fatality" if they were ignored. Same with the headlights.
Good point. Your post made me curious, so I pulled up the roof panel delamination recall info. 09V-461 is the recall number. I found the letter from GM to NHTSA, the "defect notice" letter that lists the vehicle manufacture dates and number of vehicles affected. GM used their warranty pull data to determine the number of vehicles with the roof delamination issue. 108 warranty claims. Didn't see data on injuries/deaths.

If the OP gets NHTSA to open an investigation, it would be interesting to see how GM responds with the number of warranty or dealer serviced replacements that occurred. Unfortunately, manufacturer data is the only way that NHTSA will put a "number" on occurrences.

In any event NHTSA believed that safety was an issue, as found in the recall wording. OP has to convince NHTSA of this to open an investigation.

So I should change my wording in my post to "can the defect cause an accident, injury, or death".

Last edited by acrace; 01-07-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue