Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:27 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts
Default NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue

Link to File Complaint:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

I just filed a complaint with the NHTSA about the Out of Spec Valve Guide Issue, I would encourage everyone else to do so as well, maybe just maybe it will force GM to finally do a recall and QC on parts.

Here is my complaint:

I was concerned about excessive valve train noise and after reading several Corvette forum threads about improperly machined heads by GM's supplier Linamar, and that numerous vehicles have had valves drop and ruin the engines, I took my car with 27000 miles on it to a Corvette Specialty Shop to have my valve guide clearance tested. I had (2) Intake Valve Guides outside of service specifications, (4) Exhaust Valve Guides outside of service specifications, and a combination of (10) other intake and exhaust valve guides at or near the maximum outside of service specifications. The car is being repaired with proper re-machining of the heads to make the valve guides concentric, new intake and exhaust valve guides installed, as well as new seals, valves, springs, etc.

88% of the Corvette Forum Members who have had their cylinder heads tested for excessive valve guide wear, were out of service specifications. Source: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-registry.html

GM needs to issue a recall on this issue, there have been numerous engine failures as a result of a dropped valve into a cylinder which can cause accidents and fires. GM is very aware of this issue, but refuses to do anything about this huge safety risk to drivers, passengers, and nearby vehicles if the engine fails going down the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZDANZ06:
Johns07Z (11-14-2015), thumperZ06 (10-16-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

sub'd
Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Maybe you should have added a safety component to the complaint. When the engine fails due to a dropped valve the Power Brakes and Power Steering stop immediately.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
hippiefreak67 (10-27-2019)
Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Maybe you should have added a safety component to the complaint. When the engine fails due to a dropped valve the Power Brakes and Power Steering stop immediately.

Bill
Was not aware of that, don't know if I can edit my complaint, will check.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Was not aware of that, don't know if I can edit my complaint, will check.
When my engine failed it did not lock up. It just quit running. Pre repair diagnosis showed it threw a manifold vacuum code at 2300 rpm which must have happened after the engine quit running since I disengaged the clutch around 6800 rpm and the tach just dropped to zero. From that point it took about 1/3 of a mile without PS or PB to get the car stopped in a safe run off area. I would have much preferred trying to steer a Cobalt without PS than a Vette with wide tires. My in car video which is posted on the forum captures it nicely.

Bill
Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

When my engine failed it did not lock up. It just quit running. Pre repair diagnosis showed it threw a manifold vacuum code at 2300 rpm which must have happened after the engine quit running since I disengaged the clutch around 6800 rpm and the tach just dropped to zero. From that point it took about 1/3 of a mile without PS or PB to get the car stopped in a safe run off area. I would have much preferred trying to steer a Cobalt without PS than a Vette with wide tires. My in car video which is posted on the forum captures it nicely.

Bill
Wow, that must have been a scary ride, glad you walked about unscathed.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I know this has been tried before, but hopefully it gains traction.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

When my exhaust valve dropped, it was on the exit of turn 14 at Road America. Just as I was rolling on the gas after the apex. Felt a quick shutter and immediately put the clutch in and turned off the motor. Coasted just far enough to get off the track and on the pit in road. Kept the damage internal in the block so no oil or antifreeze to clean up for the safety crew. Whether the motor is immediately turned off or not, the engine is going to stop and the power steering and brakes are not going to work.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I know this has been tried before, but hopefully it gains traction.
It does not take much time to file the complaint, if more people jump on this maybe GM can be held accountable and finally issue a recall as well as triple check the quality control of parts, especially these heads.

Last edited by AZDANZ06; 01-07-2015 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hippiefreak67 (10-27-2019)
Old 01-06-2015, 01:01 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
When my exhaust valve dropped, it was on the exit of turn 14 at Road America. Just as I was rolling on the gas after the apex. Felt a quick shutter and immediately put the clutch in and turned off the motor. Coasted just far enough to get off the track and on the pit in road. Kept the damage internal in the block so no oil or antifreeze to clean up for the safety crew. Whether the motor is immediately turned off or not, the engine is going to stop and the power steering and brakes are not going to work.
Were you able to salvage the block or was it toast? Glad to here your quick reaction contained the oil and coolant for the safety of others on the track.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Complaint filed
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The form asks for an incident report. If nothing has happened yet and you have not had your valves checked, it appears there is nothing to send in.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:17 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by MasterDave
The form asks for an incident report. If nothing has happened yet and you have not had your valves checked, it appears there is nothing to send in.
This is for people who have had their valve guides checked and are out of spec or for people who have lost a motor due to failure.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZDANZ06:
Ed DeRieu (08-15-2017), thumperZ06 (10-16-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 01:20 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Complaint filed
Thank you, let's keep this going.

I am pissed at the results on both my Z with 27K and my Father in Law's Z with 48K, his motor barely made it without breaking, the shop said that two of his guides were so bad and out of spec that they opted not to start his car, just pushed it to where it needed to be in the shop.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Wow, that must have been a scary ride, glad you walked about unscathed.

Not all that scary except thinking the typical "Oh, xxit". The engine didn't grenade and lock up so the crank kept turning until I pushed in the clutch. I didn't get excited until the car stopped and all of the smoke coming out of the rear blew forward and I thought the car was on fire. Based on the video it took me 10 seconds to unfasten the harnesses and get out of the car. A little too slow but it isn't easy crawling out of a race seat and exiting a car with a HANs wrapped around your neck and fastened to your helmet.

Others that I knew had much scarier rides. Like the guy who blew his engine entering turn 10 at the Glen. It immediately locked the rear wheels, dumped a massive amount of oil on the track and he spun off into the run off area. 6 other cars joined him (they had all been running close together) as they spun in his oil. One of them almost hit him in the driver's door but spun past him to hit the tire wall. That car suffered the most damage. A lot of body damage and a possibly a ruined engine as the engine broke off its mounts in the collision. It was a true NASCAR style incident.

Bill
Old 01-06-2015, 01:44 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Not all that scary except thinking the typical "Oh, xxit". The engine didn't grenade and lock up so the crank kept turning until I pushed in the clutch. I didn't get excited until the car stopped and all of the smoke coming out of the rear blew forward and I thought the car was on fire. Based on the video it took me 10 seconds to unfasten the harnesses and get out of the car. A little too slow but it isn't easy crawling out of a race seat and exiting a car with a HANs wrapped around your neck and fastened to your helmet.

Others that I knew had much scarier rides. Like the guy who blew his engine entering turn 10 at the Glen. It immediately locked the rear wheels, dumped a massive amount of oil on the track and he spun off into the run off area. 6 other cars joined him (they had all been running close together) as they spun in his oil. One of them almost hit him in the driver's door but spun past him to hit the tire wall. That car suffered the most damage. A lot of body damage and a possibly a ruined engine as the engine broke off its mounts in the collision. It was a true NASCAR style incident.

Bill
Wow, that is crazy, again glad everyone was alright. I think about Z's driven on the street in this scenario, going around a curve during morning traffic on the freeway, valve drops, oil & coolant all over the freeway, whether the Z driver does a good job bring his car to a stop or does it turn into a multiple car pile up with injuries.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM
4vettezo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the complaints going. I have a 13Z and would prefer GM to accept responsibility and fix the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue

Old 01-06-2015, 02:50 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Complaint filed as well... this thread should be stickied!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4vettezo6
Keep the complaints going. I have a 13Z and would prefer GM to accept responsibility and fix the problem.
Did you read the recent thread about a guy doing a build, ordered brand new heads from GM, one was fine the other was out of spec, he sent it back.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:53 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by NavyAirTraffic
Complaint filed as well... this thread should be stickied!
Thanks you!! I agree can we get a moderator to do this???

Quick Reply: [Z06] NHTSA: File a Complaint - Valve Guide Issue