Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MGW short shifter vs C6Z OEM Stock Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:28 PM
WHY TRY?
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MGW short shifter vs C6Z OEM Stock Shifter

What's everyone opinions on the MGW shifter over the stock shifter? I've heard that it's harder to shift into 3rd with the MGW than the OEM shifter. Also, getting it in to 1st and reverse can be a bit of an issue. Looking for some reviews before I spend $350-400 on a shifter that's worse then stock........
Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 PM
c6zo6nyc
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man I was in the same boat as you but ended up ordering and glad I did,theres no issues with shifting in any gear,it feels a lil notchier but I actually like how it feels much shorter throws n no wiggle from the shifter when in gear.
I only installed the ssk without the lower box and its fine
Old 01-25-2015, 10:14 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

just installed MGW last week

pay attention to install and (my experience)

1- it is shorter throw - by about an inch- not a huge difference but nice "new" throw

2- it is solid shift feel stock = 6/10 MGW = 9/10

3- it is quiet as or more so than stock

4- No issues whatsoever with any gear operation

Good luck
Old 01-25-2015, 10:36 PM
markzeronine
Pro

No problem with first or third, in fact third feels great! Reverse is a little more effort but the trade off is more than worth it to me. Also 6th is a little more effort just due to it being shorter and notchier and all the way right/down (you just have to be paying attention) but you'll never be shifting quickly from 5th to 6th. All the gears you want to grab quickly (1-2 2-3 and 3-4) are awesome.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just put one in last week also. feels crisp and shifts smooth. Im thinking of cutting about half an inch on the stick so i can drop the shift **** to the lower hole just to storten the stick a little more.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:29 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

I absolutely love mine, gear operation is awesome, and i love the more "solid" feel the MGW give you
Old 01-26-2015, 06:01 PM
sting ya
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep - def and improvement. shorter throw, tighter, notchier. Love mine
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM
jnel04
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sting ya
Yep - def and improvement. shorter throw, tighter, notchier. Love mine
Ditto.

I thought it was a great improvement going from stock to MGW, but what really solidified it as an amazing purchase was driving a couple Zs with the stock shifter after driving with MGW for about a year.

The stock Z shifter/action feels is so cheap and disconnected, it's amazing they were allowed to leave the factory like that.

The following users liked this post:
Selim Bradley (06-06-2022)
Old 01-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Filiatrault9
Advanced

I am also interested in this shifter, I read in another thread that installing the MGW shifter actually helped one guy's reverse problem. That would be my issue, I already have a hard time engaging reverse as it is, will it make it better or worse?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 PM
sting ya
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Filiatrault9
I am also interested in this shifter, I read in another thread that installing the MGW shifter actually helped one guy's reverse problem. That would be my issue, I already have a hard time engaging reverse as it is, will it make it better or worse?
I dont think the shifter itself will solve an issue of getting into gear. It will help you with the shorter "throw". It may be a clutch, linkage or synchro issue ?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Filiatrault9
Advanced

It could be a bunch of things. I can live with it, as long as the MGW doesn't make it worse, i'd love a nice feeling shifter with shorter throws.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:37 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Night and day difference. MGW is 10X better than the sloppy stock shifter. Had mine for over 15,000 miles - no rattles or vibration either been though I bought an earlier made one.

Go for it you will love it.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by WHY TRY?
What's everyone opinions on the MGW shifter over the stock shifter? I've heard that it's harder to shift into 3rd with the MGW than the OEM shifter. Also, getting it in to 1st and reverse can be a bit of an issue. Looking for some reviews before I spend $350-400 on a shifter that's worse then stock........
I love mine. But, if you are in the habit of monkey fisting that ****, you better learn how to break that habit and just use your palm for those 2 > 3 shifts. It's not as forgiving in that regard. I have thought I was in 3, but was actually in N.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not so sure its worth the money IMO. I have a 2007 Z and I'm thinking about going back to stock shifter possibly. Makes it harder to get into 1st and also 6th gear. I've had it taken apart and re-installed by 2 different competent shops and it still doesn't feel quite right. Maybe its because I have T-56 vs 6060 but I was a little dissapointed given that everyone was raving about this thing. I purchased every piece they sell including the lower shift box etc..
Old 01-27-2015, 05:27 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
I'm not so sure its worth the money IMO. I have a 2007 Z and I'm thinking about going back to stock shifter possibly. Makes it harder to get into 1st and also 6th gear. I've had it taken apart and re-installed by 2 different competent shops and it still doesn't feel quite right. Maybe its because I have T-56 vs 6060 but I was a little dissapointed given that everyone was raving about this thing. I purchased every piece they sell including the lower shift box etc..
I have a T56 car and mine feels awesome in every gear
Old 01-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
I have a T56 car and mine feels awesome in every gear
Yeah I guess its hit or miss than... Like I said I've had 2 different competent shops take it apart and re-install it and it still has never felt perfect. Wish I did't sell all my old parts because I would try and go back to stock and feel the difference.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 AM
WHY TRY?
Racer

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Yeah I guess its hit or miss than... Like I said I've had 2 different competent shops take it apart and re-install it and it still has never felt perfect. Wish I did't sell all my old parts because I would try and go back to stock and feel the difference.
Did you WTT your MGW for a stock shifter?

Get notified of new replies

To MGW short shifter vs C6Z OEM Stock Shifter

Old 04-04-2015, 03:16 AM
Chance42
Pro

If you've ever had a short throw in any other car it's the same story, different day. Crisp and more precise shifts. The 2-3 takes some adjustment, but its no big deal. Basically just have to use your palm and give it a VERY slight side/upwards push. It becomes second nature after a week or two. I have no problems with reverse or 6th. Granted I drive an 18 speed most days, so anything will feel precise after dealing with that. Try going from that and matching revs to speed/powershifting at the track. Weird feeling...
Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year Z are you guys comparing to? My 09 stock shifter is pretty good.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance42
If you've ever had a short throw in any other car it's the same story, different day. Crisp and more precise shifts. The 2-3 takes some adjustment, but its no big deal. Basically just have to use your palm and give it a VERY slight side/upwards push. It becomes second nature after a week or two. I have no problems with reverse or 6th. Granted I drive an 18 speed most days, so anything will feel precise after dealing with that. Try going from that and matching revs to speed/powershifting at the track. Weird feeling...
I learned how to drive tractor/truck in an old Mack end dump with a brownie. Steering with my knee, shifting with both hands... I can still recall being scolded, over and over......Oh the memories...LOL

Quick Reply: [Z06] MGW short shifter vs C6Z OEM Stock Shifter