Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] fluids question

Old 02-25-2015, 07:22 PM
tlmarks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fluids question

question to every one about brand and type of oils and fluids they use in their cars? I know it may be subjective. is it best to go with mobil1 like manual says for the engine? or would something like royal purple or??? be better? what about the trans.and diff.? brand and weight? clutch and brake? coolant? and engine oil filter, a/c delco, wix, royal purple, mobil1?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to be very careful here.

First, for the differential use only the GM fluid. Do not expect your GM dealer to know what that fluid is... you can look up the correct p/number here on the forum. This is what I run.

For the transmission, if you are just going to drive it on the street I would also use the GM fluid. This is also what I run but if I get access to transmission temp on the track I might switch, cautiously, to a non-GM synthetic. If you expect to run the car hard (track) I have heard you might get by using the proper Mobil 1 (there is more than one, this Dexron thing is confusing) or maybe Amsoil.

For the engine, on paper Amsoil is the best oil, pretty much hands down. If you're poor, try Mobil 1 0-40 (WalMart). I run Redline 5-30 on the street, with a mix of 10-40 for the track. I wouldn't mess with any of the other 'exotics', don't know much and haven't seen much data on them (I don't buy/use on testimonials/advertising).

I forget which oil filter had the tightest media... maybe the Mobil 1. Any of the major brands should be fine (Wix, K&N, GM, etc -- most of them are made by the same company).

Coolant, you have little choice -- you have to use the Dexcool.

Brakes, for the street Prestone DOT 4 from WalMart. For the track, bring your Gold Card (I use Motul 600 which isn't too bad on price).

Use the brake fluid in the clutch. Don't forget to flush that using the Ranger method (I don't go the 30 pump hardcore route, but at least suck out the dirty stuff).

Power steering I use Redline ATF, but that is for heat issues on the track. For the street use whatever GM approves.

Most important, be aware that all fluids are not alike. There is transmission fluid that will wreck your transmission, there is differential fluid that will wreck your differential. Pay close attention to certifications and classifications on the bottle if you deviate from stock. RTFM. Do not go by what some AutoZone or GM counter person tells you.

Last edited by Mark2009; 02-25-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:37 AM
tlmarks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the gm fluids are are considered as a top choice I am ok with that, Is it best to just go down to the local dealer to get it all, or order it online somewhere? also what part#'s do I ask for? are there any additives needed? trans? diff?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:13 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,497 Likes on 2,592 Posts

Local Dealer. Check out the DIY sticky at the top of this forum on how to, it also includes the GM part numbers. On your 2009 on the dif you will find the lower cooler connection (which is also the drain) only comes out part way before hitting the rear crossmenber, but you will be able to hold it against the crossmenber and drain out all the old fluid. Don't lose the clip.

P/N 88861800, Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid
P/N 88862624, DEXRON LS Gear Oil 75W-90 Additives are already in it, don't add more.

These fluids are not cheap, but you don't need to change them often (24 track hours per OM).

In my 09 I use M1 0W-40 Euro formula motor oil from HPDE's, you will see 235* water temp and 285* oil temp with your '09. I also use Motul RBF 600 for the brakes and cheap Prestone DOT 4 for the clutch. If you do hard HPDE's and change to aftermarket brake pads you will see very high front rotor/pad/caliper temps. I got rid of my brake cooling problem by installing 4" brake ducts from the sides of the grill.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

For the motor oil I personally run Rotella T6 10w40 w/ STP oil treatment and use the AC Delco gold or platinum (forgot what it was called) oil filter. The oil filter can only be purchased from the dealer at is around $17.00 I will have to dig around for the receipt for the p/n.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Local Dealer. Check out the DIY sticky at the top of this forum on how to, it also includes the GM part numbers. On your 2009 on the dif you will find the lower cooler connection (which is also the drain) only comes out part way before hitting the rear crossmenber, but you will be able to hold it against the crossmenber and drain out all the old fluid. Don't lose the clip.

P/N 88861800, Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid
P/N 88862624, DEXRON LS Gear Oil 75W-90 Additives are already in it, don't add more.

These fluids are not cheap, but you don't need to change them often (24 track hours per OM).

In my 09 I use M1 0W-40 Euro formula motor oil from HPDE's, you will see 235* water temp and 285* oil temp with your '09. I also use Motul RBF 600 for the brakes and cheap Prestone DOT 4 for the clutch. If you do hard HPDE's and change to aftermarket brake pads you will see very high front rotor/pad/caliper temps. I got rid of my brake cooling problem by installing 4" brake ducts from the sides of the grill.
I have GMPP and want a non-assailable record of the maintenance so I have the dealer do the oil and diff changes. If you look at the OM recommendations you will quickly see about the only thing you need to do when driving on the street is change the oil once per year and coolant once every 5 years. Manual trans and diff fluid changes aren't even mentioned.

For vehicles that see heavy track use GM started recommending changing the diff fluid after 24 hours of track usage starting in 2009. Other than that all of the other recommendations are the same.

I use all GM recommended fluids. The transmission fluid has never been changed. Car is 7 years old with 37K miles on it and the trans shifts smoothly with no issues. The engine dropped a valve 3.5 years ago at 24K miles so the replacement only has 13K miles on it.

I use Pentosin Super DOT 4 brake and clutch fluid in the clutch (GM recommended) and Wilwood 600+ in the brake system. The Wilwood fluid is a DOT3 compatible fluid but has a much higher dry boiling point than most other fluids.

If I need to add oil at a track event I will add Mobil 1 0W40.

Bill
Old 03-01-2015, 01:37 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I may be perceived as biases as I sell AMSOIL, but been using it in all my cars include my 02 Z06 at the track since 2004.

If you'd like to try AMSOIL for any of your fluids (and they have engine oil, filter, tranny, diff, power steering, and brake/clutch fluid for the C6 Z06), more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To fluids question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] fluids question