Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sell C6Z and buy C7 Stingray or keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Sell C6Z and buy C7 Stingray or keep it?

Hi gents. I read a lot and post very little, but would like some opinions on my current situation.

I have a pristine 2008 Z06 with 15,500 miles. Mechanically perfect, always garaged, and never tracked. I am the original owner. The GMPP purchased when I bought the car just expired at the beginning of this month.

Recently, I've started thinking about getting a C7 Stingray Z51 and selling the C6Z. I go back and forth. Some days I think I should pull trigger and some days I chastise myself for thinking of selling the C6Z and tell myself to keep it and enjoy what I have. The C6Z needs a full set of tires, alignment, coolant change, and brake and clutch fluid change. So, it's either spend some money on it and keep it or sell it and go to the C7. No, keeping both will not work.

What do you guys who might have experience in both cars (C6Z and C7 Z51) think about the feel of these two different cars? If I go from C6Z to C7 Z51 will I be disappointed in performance?

Thanks for any advice/opinion.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Send the cylinder heads to American Heritage or WCCH. Add a set of headers with a small cam and then drive the heck out of it!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:15 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

You will be disappointed in performance initially, but since your car is stock I'd say the sorrows will be ephemeral. Would I do it? Hell no. Would I do it for a c7z? Hell no. The c6z is still street king as far as I'm concerned...

Local girl driving a shop owned 600 whp procharged c7 won't even run me unless I give her 5 lengths. Plus park them side by side, the choice is clear!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:21 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
You will be disappointed in performance initially, but since your car is stock I'd say the sorrows will be ephemeral. Would I do it? Hell no. Would I do it for a c7z? Hell no. The c6z is still street king as far as I'm concerned...

Local girl driving a shop owned 600 whp procharged c7 won't even run me unless I give her 5 lengths. Plus park them side by side, the choice is clear!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Styling is so dependent upon personal taste that only you can decide which is better. I like certain aspects of each car better than the other, but overall I'll always love the wide body of the C6 Z06.

What kind of performance are you interested in? I took the 3 day school at Spring Mountain when they had 1 C6 Z06 left in their stable for me to drive. The rest of the cars were C7 Z51s. The instructors were running just about the same lap times in both cars. They attributed the speed of the C7s to better tires and the new electronically controlled differential. I drove laps in both cars and, while the C7s had roughly equal torque off the line, the LS7 came on much harder from mid-range on up. Drag race speed and the thrill of that high RPM power surge goes to the Z06 every time.

The C7 interior is noticeably better, although it somehow feels a bit cramped. The seats and the support they offer are awesome.

You'd spend a lot less to bring your Z06 current on maintenance than you would on changing to a new Z51. Maybe you should get a test drive in one to see if what you would gain is enough to offset what you would lose, and if the price difference is worth it. I know I wouldn't be happy doing that- but I am watching the new Z06 to see if they can fix some of the overheating issues on that car. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:27 PM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Thank you all for your input so far.

Les: That kind of info is exactly what I'm looking for. Basically, how the two cars feel different to the same individual. Thank you. I don't drag race or track, so for me, "performance" is that subjective fun-to-drive factor that these cars bring to public roadways. However, seeing/reading about objective performance differences (track times, 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile times, etc) helps me tremendously in putting the C7 into perspective as compared to what I have. I too am watching the issues with the C7Z with concern. Maybe in the future I would consider that one, but not now.

Gonna try to find a dealer who will allow a C7 test drive.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

If I were you and I was using the car exactly as you are I would move to a C7 with a warranty. They are nice, fun cars and you would be happy.

If I could swing it I would keep the C6Z06 and get a C7 for driving more frequently.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

so everytime your cars need a bit of maintenance $$$, you just will upgrade to new car ?? You'll lose more on trade than the money needed to upkeep.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:48 PM
TomT
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an '08 like yours with 23K on it, and I will not get rid of it for a new one. Not that the technology isn't great, but the looks don't hold a candle to mine. Either way, I am sure you will be happy.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:11 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

The only reason I'd trade my c6z for a c7 is if I needed to drive the car everyday and wanted a nicer interior/modern luxuries. If it's just a 'fun' car, it's a no-brainer to keep the c6z;.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:25 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same car you do (17k miles); I'm keeping mine. I bought a used 911 for a DD for less than the difference I would have had to pay.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:01 PM
LS3Knight
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SublimeZ06

Les: That kind of info is exactly what I'm looking for. Basically, how the two cars feel different to the same individual. Thank you. I don't drag race or track, so for me, "performance" is that subjective fun-to-drive factor that these cars bring to public roadways. However, seeing/reading about objective performance differences (track times, 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile times, etc) helps me tremendously in putting the C7 into perspective as compared to what I have. I too am watching the issues with the C7Z with concern. Maybe in the future I would consider that one, but not now.

I test drove both back to back and chose c6 z06. Money was part of the equation, but main difference was z06 was more raw and feels like a racecar, c7 feels more like a fast luxury car, plus the sound of the ls7 won me over pretty fast!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 05:38 PM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
so everytime your cars need a bit of maintenance $$$, you just will upgrade to new car ?? You'll lose more on trade than the money needed to upkeep.

Definitely not. The maintenance cost is negligible and has nothing to do with my considering selling and getting a C7.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:39 PM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS3Knight
I test drove both back to back and chose c6 z06. Money was part of the equation, but main difference was z06 was more raw and feels like a racecar, c7 feels more like a fast luxury car, plus the sound of the ls7 won me over pretty fast!!!

Thank you for the comparison. This helps.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:23 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

I have a low mileage C6Z and have a set of heads out for repair at AHP now. I drove a C7 Z51 manual car a few weeks ago. You would not be disappointed with the way the C7 drives, it is a better riding driving car. Comparing engines , even with the LS7 valve issue the C6Z wins. And I think the C6Z looks better from the outside, interior goes to the C7, a bit tighter but it has nicer materials and adrenaline red interior is awesome. Bottom line you need to drive a C7 Z51 and decide. On the street performance, I don't think you will be able to tell the difference. Personally I wouldn't spend the difference to get the C7.

Last edited by got2hav1; 06-24-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I'm 6'4"....don't fit in the C7 so C6Z it is!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought a 2006 Z06 back in 06 and had it for about four years and then sold it for no good reason and always thought it was a mistake. I then had a 996 turbo a 92 Zr-1 and couple of C5Z06s, but always missed my 06Z06. I thought about buying another C6Z06, but decided to wait until the C7 was released. After seeing pictures on line and in magazines I thought to myself, what is GM doing that car is the ugliest corvette ever. Soon thereafter I went to the Ron Fellows school and got to drive a C6Z06 for three days. I have to say it was the most fun thing I've ever done. A few months after that the C7 was released and I started to see them all over town. I thought wow that thing is even worse than I ever thought it would be. Yup ugliest corvette ever (subjective I know). Then I finally had the opportunity to drive one on the track, about 4-5 laps not a lot I know, but the looks. After I got out of the car my decision was made! I started hunting for a another C6Z06. It took quite a while, But I finally found what I was looking for. I found a 2009 cyber gray 3LZ with 1400 miles on it. I flew across the country to look at it. As soon as laid eyes on it I knew I was done. I paid cash for right there on the spot. I then had it shipped home on an enclosed trailer. I now IMHO have the sexiest ever made and have never looked back. This one is a keeper. I'm not making the same mistake as I did with my 06. C6Z06 is where it's at!

Last edited by NVNO1; 06-24-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: wrong word

Get notified of new replies

To Sell C6Z and buy C7 Stingray or keep it?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by SublimeZ06

You're certainly welcome. Happy to help.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion, keep the C6 Z06. I don't think we'll ever see an 427 cubic inch N/A engine in a production car like this ever again. I'd take the C6 Z06 over the C7 Z06, never mind the stingray. The C6 Z06 has been out for almost 10 years and still whoops most cars. I have a 2014 Shelby GT500 that came with 662 horsepower. The C6 Z06 is just as fast in a straight line with 505 horsepower. It's just an incredibly well rounded, no nonsense performance machine.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:47 AM
Hanlon's Law
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could go test drive a C7 and make your own decision. At least in my own case, I test drove both before coming home with the Z06 back in march. The C7 has a nice interior and drives nice, shifter feels great... but I think I'd buy a BMW or Porche if that's what I was looking for. The Z is a totally different machine - faster, more raw, and IMO looks that the C7 can't touch.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sell C6Z and buy C7 Stingray or keep it?