Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 shocks seem too firm??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:03 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Default 2008 shocks seem too firm??

Guys now that I have driven the Z for a couple days I find the ride on avg streets to be less tolerable than my C5Z that I put the 08 Z shocks in. When I have the AC running and on a slightly rougher road the interior makes noises from various areas... when the AC is off its pretty quiet.. I just crank up the music but I wonder are the DRM tuned Bilsteins softer riding? I like how my buddies 07 Z rides.. those shocks were softened after 06. So the question is how can I get a softer ride since you cant buy 07 new shocks. lol My C5Z with 08 Z shocks just soaked up most small bumps and other road anomolies. This 2008 C6Z isn't. Not that I don't love driving it. I was just wondering.. I wish I had mag ride control.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:08 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't remember there being any differences between OEM 07 and 08 Z06 shocks.

I have a 08 Z06 - replaced the OEM shocks with DRM Bilsteins. I would not say that the ride is softer in any way. The car is less skidderish around rough corners, and feels more stable, but softer ride - No.

Jim
Old 07-02-2015, 11:47 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think the Z06 rides too firm, you purchased the wrong car. Got to agree with the OP.....
Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnac

I have a 08 Z06 - replaced the OEM shocks with DRM Bilsteins. I would not say that the ride is softer in any way. The car is less skidderish around rough corners, and feels more stable, but softer ride - No.

Jim
You may be feeling a difference in spring rates, although I'm not familiar with the C5 specs. If you're running runflats you might consider changing to non-runflats for a little better ride from the extra give in the sidewalls.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:06 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Les
You may be feeling a difference in spring rates, although I'm not familiar with the C5 specs. If you're running runflats you might consider changing to non-runflats for a little better ride from the extra give in the sidewalls.
NO I have 3 year old pilot sports.. Yes It is skidderish around corners at higher speeds.. I have read that DRM bilsteins are about the same as late model Z shocks but better planted..maybe that would be better as the car wouldn't jump around as much on rougher streets... major road repairs this summer on our main drags.. so hard to avoid... not to firm but on bad roads its less forgiving than the C5Z, I'm sure the spring rate too is different, thanks for the advice guys! I'm sure Brand new tires and an alignment would help. Wants to go left when hand off wheel, even on flat new roads.. not too bad though.. $$$ lol

Last edited by REDZED2; 07-02-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
NO I have 3 year old pilot sports.. Yes It is skidderish around corners at higher speeds.. I have read that DRM bilsteins are about the same as late model Z shocks but better planted..maybe that would be better as the car wouldn't jump around as much on rougher streets... major road repairs this summer on our main drags.. so hard to avoid... not to firm but on bad roads its less forgiving than the C5Z, I'm sure the spring rate too is different, thanks for the advice guys! I'm sure Brand new tires and an alignment would help. Wants to go left when hand off wheel, even on flat new roads.. not too bad though.. $$$ lol
I have the DRM Bilsteins and they will definitely take care of that skitterish feeling on bumpy pavement. If you get them you should probably get the standard bushings instead of the poly bushings. I got the polys and am very happy, but they will add firmness to the ride and it doesn't sound like you would prefer that.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Guys now that I have driven the Z for a couple days I find the ride on avg streets to be less tolerable than my C5Z that I put the 08 Z shocks in. When I have the AC running and on a slightly rougher road the interior makes noises from various areas... when the AC is off its pretty quiet.. I just crank up the music but I wonder are the DRM tuned Bilsteins softer riding? I like how my buddies 07 Z rides.. those shocks were softened after 06. So the question is how can I get a softer ride since you cant buy 07 new shocks. lol My C5Z with 08 Z shocks just soaked up most small bumps and other road anomolies. This 2008 C6Z isn't. Not that I don't love driving it. I was just wondering.. I wish I had mag ride control.
I agree, the C6Z is a little too stiff in the rear and that disturbs the handling whether or not you have run flats.

Originally Posted by Carnac

Jim
I agree on the DRM Bilstein affect. They reduce the handling issue but don't resolve it.

When I installed the DRM shocks in my 08 they improved the handling coming out of T7 (the toe) at the Glen but I still couldn't go to wide open throttle until the rear wheels left the bumpy concrete section. With my C5Z I could easily go wide open as I approached the apex of the same turn and with the C6Z I am limited to maintenance throttle until the rear wheels clear the bumps a 100+ ft further up the hill.

I think the problem is a combination of the rear spring which is stiffer than the C5Z, a larger rear bar and the stock shocks. I see some people are installing a smaller diameter rear bar which may help improve ride quality and handling when trying to put power down coming out of a bumpy corner.

Bill
Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issues with the suspension is well known clearly. The shocks are to harsh and that combined with the larger bars and stiffer spring plus the bump steer all these cars have make it feel like it is a nervous cat on ice skates. The DRM shocks with adjustable endlinks and corner weighting really helped a lot but the biggest improvement came from dumping the run flats and going to Super Sports. Car still has rear bump steer and that will be resolved soon with my friends bump steer kit he is making. Already installed on 2 test cars that race a lot and the difference they said was night and day on the track.

A lot of people just run a ton of rear toe but that is horrible for tire wear and turn in. Mine is set to 0 toe front and back now so bump steer is more pronounced but not that bad.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:40 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Good food for thought guys thanks to all who replied. Very knowledgeable and of course you Mr. Bill. Yes the 2007 Z06 had the softest valving out of all the C6Z's.. the first year was the harshest! Easy to find articles from GM, Corvette Action center etc.... DRM's next year and new tires, alignment etc.. and see from there.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:37 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

Just an FYI, your C5 Z06 came from GM with Bilstein shocks.

The rear C6Z shocks do not handle bumps well. DRMs are a good alternative. If you really want the ride softer, get the standard Bilstein Sport shocks, they will calm the bumps and ride a little better than the OEM shocks.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:03 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Just an FYI, your C5 Z06 came from GM with Bilstein shocks.

The rear C6Z shocks do not handle bumps well. DRMs are a good alternative. If you really want the ride softer, get the standard Bilstein Sport shocks, they will calm the bumps and ride a little better than the OEM shocks.
Ok. I will look in to them, but will it calm down the rear end jitters somewhat on bad pavement. Is this sorta an in the middle of the 08 factory and the DRM Bills?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok. I will look in to them, but will it calm down the rear end jitters somewhat on bad pavement. Is this sorta an in the middle of the 08 factory and the DRM Bills?
I would choose the DRM Bilsteins, but I did not know about them when I got the Bilstein Sports in early 2011 for my 09Z. I do a lot of performance events and the Sports work very well for me. They are not drag race shocks if that is your thing, but this was the first mod I did as driving the car home at the speed limit around NYC on the Interstates the back end bounced all around. The Sports handle bumps very well, work on the road circuits and worked well for me in the standing start (non-drag race start) mile and mile and a half.

I would not classify them as "in the middle". I don't know what GM did with the OEM shocks, but they did not do the valving right to deal with bumps. Bilstein does know how. The Sports are generically valved for all C5 and C6 Vettes including the non-MH Z06s (Bilsteins were stock on the C5 Z06 from the factory). The DRM's were built by Blistein to C6 Z06 custom specs and are built in batches of 75 to 100.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:24 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Good to know! Thanks! I'm not dragging it so I don't come off the line ever more than 3/4 throttle with spirited driving .. Just want a shock that is more compliant on rough roads and glues the back end better to the pavement than the 08's. If the DRM's ride as firm as the 08's I may just be happy with regular Bill sports..
Old 07-03-2015, 04:29 PM
wsaugenstein
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You don't want to soften the ride - you want to make things stiffer.

After I bought my C6 Z06 with stock shocks and Goodyear runcraps, I replaced with Michelin PS2 NON run flats, DRM Billsteins, Elite Engineering plate and Pfadt trans mounts. No more skitter around corners or on rough roads and no more wheel hop off the line, even with slicks. The Michelins solved most handling problems first, and the later-installed other mods got rid of wheel hop and loss of control. I love the way it rides and handles. I still have the Pfadt engine mounts, but have not installed them because I haven't needed them.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wsaugenstein
You don't want to soften the ride - you want to make things stiffer.

After I bought my C6 Z06 with stock shocks and Goodyear runcraps, I replaced with Michelin PS2 NON run flats, DRM Billsteins, Elite Engineering plate and Pfadt trans mounts. No more skitter around corners or on rough roads and no more wheel hop off the line, even with slicks. The Michelins solved most handling problems first, and the later-installed other mods got rid of wheel hop and loss of control. I love the way it rides and handles. I still have the Pfadt engine mounts, but have not installed them because I haven't needed them.
OP was interested in ride quality. I expect the Bilstein Sports are softer than the DRM's, but they solve the suspension issue of the OEM shocks. I did the shocks first, then replaced the OEM Goodyears with NT-05 non-RFTs and now run the PSS non-ZP.s If OP is more interested in ride quality than ultimate grip then the Bilstein Sports solve that problem.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:15 PM
wsaugenstein
Pro

Originally Posted by AzDave47
OP was interested in ride quality. I expect the Bilstein Sports are softer than the DRM's, but they solve the suspension issue of the OEM shocks. I did the shocks first, then replaced the OEM Goodyears with NT-05 non-RFTs and now run the PSS non-ZP.s If OP is more interested in ride quality than ultimate grip then the Bilstein Sports solve that problem.
OP wants C6 Z06 to ride like his C5 Z06: he said, "shocks just soaked up most small bumps and other road anomolies." That's exactly what my modifications did for my C6 Z06 ride. No skitter, no chatter, no wheel hop, no loss of control, and when I go on long trips, no back aches or tiring for these 68 year-old bones. It may sound non-intuitive, but it's true. The well-engineered Z06 chassis loves these mods. Don't play around with slush - go stiffer.

And I just recently changed to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, which is now a whole 'nother world. The handling and ride are fantastic.

Then again, this is a subjective thing. I think the better the control, the better the ride. Others may think otherwise, but if you want to amaze yourself on how well your car handles and rides, follow my advice. If you're near NJ, I'll take you for a ride.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Jeez guys I dunno what I am going to end up doing now!! lol.. too much confliction. I know I want a elite thermal plate. The interior heat is crazy esecially my right knee and center console. Plus it made a huge diff in my c5 Z too. Less flex, less noises and jitter jatter.. Man PS2 cups are rich mans money.. Id be happy with PSS's... this is all next year. Just doing intake with my B&B bullets and a canned tune for mods and new plug wires.. mine are already toasty and coroded... way more heat from under hood than the C5Z... I dunno.. I had 37 psi in tires cold when I bought it.. I lowered the psi to 30 on all 4 corners cold.. Is there a cheap way to make the crappy factory air intake better? Cut the plastic shroud? Can't afford a halltech... looks like the K&N is next best.. cant do V-ram cause front plate is trimmed and ziptied to middle of lower grill so that screws the Vram intake.... crap I spent 17k on my 03... dont wanna spend more than 5 by next year... including doing the heads at West Coast..back to spending Corvette tax cash again.. lol.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 shocks seem too firm??

Old 07-04-2015, 03:43 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Guys, I can't believe this but on a stack of bibles I'm happy now and the car handles insanely better in turns bumpy roads it soaks up the bumps.. it almost feels like my c5Z!! Now I absolutely LOVE my C6Z. Hard to believe but when I checked my tires today cold in the garage they were 35-37 psi . A reliable source told me to put all 4 tires at 30 psi cold... so I dropped the air in all 4 tires and drove it tonight for 2 hours.. warm they all went up on the DIC to 32 and the car was a completely different animal.. no jarring , skittering went around this same long curve at 9 mph faster. The grip was crazy.. for tires almost 4 years old.. Thought they were newer, but whatever the G meter hit .89G. Before with more air in the tires the same curve I pushed it and the rear was fishtailing and jumping out.. the G meter hit .74G. The back end didn't plow and felt stable in competitive mode. Now I love the car! My 2 friends run 30 psi cold in their new Michelins( C6Z's) and they told me to drop mine down.. didn't figure 6-7 lbs of extra air would change the handling and ride dynamics!!! Happy camper none the less. Just thought I'd share.

Happy 4th of July to all my American Z brothers!

Last edited by REDZED2; 07-04-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM
wsaugenstein
Pro

Guys, I can't believe this but on a stack of bibles I'm happy now and the car handles insanely better in turns bumpy roads it soaks up the bumps.. it almost feels like my c5Z!! Now I absolutely LOVE my C6Z. Hard to believe but when I checked my tires today cold in the garage they were 35-37 psi . A reliable source told me to put all 4 tires at 30 psi cold... so I dropped the air in all 4 tires and drove it tonight for 2 hours.. warm they all went up on the DIC to 32 and the car was a completely different animal.. no jarring , skittering went around this same long curve at 9 mph faster. The grip was crazy.. for tires almost 4 years old.. Thought they were newer, but whatever the G meter hit .89G. Before with more air in the tires the same curve I pushed it and the rear was fishtailing and jumping out.. the G meter hit .74G. The back end didn't plow and felt stable in competitive mode. Now I love the car! My 2 friends run 30 psi cold in their new Michelins( C6Z's) and they told me to drop mine down.. didn't figure 6-7 lbs of extra air would change the handling and ride dynamics!!! Happy camper none the less. Just thought I'd share.

Happy 4th of July to all my American Z brothers!

I think "Occam's razor" states that the simplest explanation is usually the best. Cold tire pressure 35-37 = hot pressure about 40. Way too much. That's a cheap fix, esp. since the tax man hasn't started taxing air yet.

If you get wheel hop off the line, consider DRM Billsteins/Elite plate/ Pfadt trans mounts. They work, and should cost < $800. Someone just sold new DRM Billsteins with poly bushings on CF for $375, and used or new second hand plate and trans mounts should be around $200/each = $400.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:37 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wsaugenstein
I think "Occam's razor" states that the simplest explanation is usually the best. Cold tire pressure 35-37 = hot pressure about 40. Way too much. That's a cheap fix, esp. since the tax man hasn't started taxing air yet.

If you get wheel hop off the line, consider DRM Billsteins/Elite plate/ Pfadt trans mounts. They work, and should cost < $800. Someone just sold new DRM Billsteins with poly bushings on CF for $375, and used or new second hand plate and trans mounts should be around $200/each = $400.
Thanks for the advice! I def. want a thermal elite plate for starters! Funds are tight till August.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 shocks seem too firm??