Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Now its time to do a head/cam change!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:37 PM
JustinZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Now its time to do a head/cam change!

I think the time is near. I have a 06 Z06 with corsa exhaust and a callaway honker. I have the stock heads and cam on the car. I know I need to replace the heads for peace at mind about it. By while Im at it I want to throw in a cam. I know this has been asked 1000x times. I cant decide which heads to go with AH, WCCH, LPE, etc. Single springs vs dual springs. SS valves vs hollow valves etc. I need some help deciding. Then give me some ideas on which cam to pair it with. Let me hear it!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 PM
jitsu10
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinZO6
I think the time is near. I have a 06 Z06 with corsa exhaust and a callaway honker. I have the stock heads and cam on the car. I know I need to replace the heads for peace at mind about it. By while Im at it I want to throw in a cam. I know this has been asked 1000x times. I cant decide which heads to go with AH, WCCH, LPE, etc. Single springs vs dual springs. SS valves vs hollow valves etc. I need some help deciding. Then give me some ideas on which cam to pair it with. Let me hear it!
Send it to katech or have wcch use there coated titanium valves with bronze guides.I dont believe the ss valves are an answer to the prob but i am sure you will get many on here that will tell you different.Can tell you since katech did there stage two setup i enjoy my car even more.damn thing wakes up my neighbors love it!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:18 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Why replace the heads?

All you need to do is send them to Texas Speed, they did mine and I have had no issues running a bigger cam and a 100 shot of Nos

https://www.texas-speed.com/
Old 09-11-2015, 01:33 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I think you should call each builder and ask a few questions. Personally, I like to know and understand what is being done and WHY. Some builders are wiling to explain this in layman's terms, others perhaps not. I personally would base my decision on the helpfulness of the builder/sales person in explaining things to me and justifying their process with experience.

One thing I know for sure is that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Find a builder that has built a car that you want yours to replicate and go from there. Never sign up with a builder that is building cars that have different purposes from your own. I've kinda learned that some builders are good at track-ready setups while others are better at finding the right compromises for loads of streetable fun. Some understand both. Few have all of this experience and provide attention to detail to each customer.

Also, you need to have a line drawn in the sand for where your budget stops and make that clear, otherwise you will likely budget creep as you goal creep. Trust me, this is a very fresh fact on my mind these days (i.e. budget vs. actual is $2.2K vs. $6K )

A modest and honorable approach is to fix the guides, replace valves, mill the heads & get a baby cam that doesn't require anything else. Leave everything else stock and land in the 500-510rwhp range and be happy that you have a very fast, 10 second sleeper Z.

Get notified of new replies

To Now its time to do a head/cam change!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Now its time to do a head/cam change!