Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] R&Ring re-guided ported heads next week... questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:35 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Default R&Ring re-guided ported heads next week... questions

Any 'new" short cuts or tips other than the DIY that I should know? I plan to have everything ready to go for a 2-3 day swap. As I can't work 8 hours on a car in 1 day anymore.

Thanks

Derek!
Old 06-14-2016, 01:14 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Ok searching... can I reuse my coolant crossover pipe plugs?.. do they use o rings like the ls1? Or do I have to get new ones? Just preparing.. cause I know there will be sh#t happening at my age when I start this! My 30th rodeo but I (my joints) don't like bucking broncos as much as I did in my 20's and 30's.

Thanks for any gear heads left on the C6Z forum.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:23 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
Ok searching... can I reuse my coolant crossover pipe plugs?.. do they use o rings like the ls1? Or do I have to get new ones? Just preparing.. cause I know there will be sh#t happening at my age when I start this! My 30th rodeo but I (my joints) don't like bucking broncos as much as I did in my 20's and 30's.

Thanks for any gear heads left on the C6Z forum.
Everything is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you clean all the old loctite from the bolt holes and make sure they're dry before putting the new ones in. Are you using stock bolts or arp? I have used both with no issues but prefer arp because of the re-use ability and how you torque them down.

The steam vents use orings I didn't have new orings so I reused the ones on the front and had no problems. The rears are blocked off from the factory with a rivet in the hole. If they left them in then you're good to go. I had my heads done by AHP and they included new block offs for the rear since they removed the rivets while cleaning
Old 06-14-2016, 01:27 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Thanks redbird.... yeah I always prefer to use arp head bolts over the gm tty bolts which I don't really care for.. thanks for the tip on the coolant plugs.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:58 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Doing some upgrades Derek, or just preventative maintenance?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

I would change those O-rings. When I put something back together I really hate having to f with something simple that shouldn't have happened if I had replaced a gasket or part but didn't.

If you are pulling heads off you will use new head gaskets correct? Get the head gasket kit from GM it will come with those O-rings and a few extra parts that makes them easy to replace when everything is apart.

I did new O-rings on that coolant bleed line, PS lines and also did a new cam retainer plate instead of reusing mine (has a gasket moulded onto it in the back). Easy to replace instead of having to tear it apart again if a problem develops.

Tony
Old 06-14-2016, 05:55 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Thanks Tony.. already bought gm head gaskets.. i can get o rings.. motor is 12k miles and clean... just a head swap.. no cam....

Mike I will PM you later bud..

Get notified of new replies

To R&Ring re-guided ported heads next week... questions

Quick Reply: [Z06] R&Ring re-guided ported heads next week... questions