Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Pushrod length help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Honk3X
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pushrod length help!

Asking for a friend

Next week I am going to help my friend do a H/C install on his Z.

In the past I have found preload using this method on ls1/2/3. Ive never done an Ls7 yet. does this process still work?

Here it is again in a nutshell:

1. Using the EO/IC method, get the lifter to the base circle of the cam.
2. Using a known length pushrod (7.400" is a good start with stock rockers) run the rocker arm bolt down to zero lash. This is easily done with your fingers "wiggling" the rocker, the point at which the "slack" is just gone is zero lash.
3. Set your torque wrench to 22 lb./ft. Tighten the rocker to full torque and count the number of turns it takes to get there. 1 full turn wtih a stock 8mm X 1.25 bolt is ~.047" preload as measured at the pushrod/rocker interface.
4. I normally shoot for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns with stock type lifters like Comp 850's, LS1, LS7 etc.

For an example, if you use a 7.400" pushrod and come up with 3/4 of a turn, you will need at least .025" longer pushrod to get into range. If you end up with 2 1/4 turns, you will need one .025" shorter...

I might not know everything but I will tell you that this method has worked for me year after year cam swap after cam swap. We average 3 cam swaps a week here so you can do the math.

If you are not familiar with the EO/IC method for determining valve events in a 4 stroke engine, its very simple:
For a given cylinder as the Exhaust valve is Opening, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the cam and lash/preload should be checked for that intake valve.
For a given cylinder as the Intake valve is Closing, the exhaust lifter will be on the base circle of the cam and lash/preload should be checked for that exhaust valve.

THIS METHOD ALWAYS WORKS!!!

His cam lift is .642/.641

I know that stock is 7.800 and im sure his cam has a smaller base circle than stock. His heads have not been milled, we are using stock headgaskets and Ls7 lifters.

I suggested 7.825 atleast.

What do you guys think??
Old 06-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Get a pushrod length checker.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Get a pushrod length checker.
Mic drop.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:55 AM
Honk3X
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are on crunch time and my pushrod length checker got bent by a friend
Old 06-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Tech
Safety Car

You can get one next day from Summit. Even their regular shipping would have it on your doorstep (assuming you don't live Alaska, Hawaii or in the middle of nowhere) early next week.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:50 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Assuming you have a pushrod length checker, anyone have the correct steps to check and measure pushrod length? Link?

Sorry to Hijack. I have used that method before on my old LT1 camaro a few times with no issues.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Assuming you have a pushrod length checker, anyone have the correct steps to check and measure pushrod length? Link?

Sorry to Hijack. I have used that method before on my old LT1 camaro a few times with no issues.
http://www.horsepowerlovers.com/how-...th-for-an-ls1/

LT1s made it easier to spin the pushrod. With LSx, you have to rely on the up/down movement of the rocker tip.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

7.825" will most likely work fine with stock lifters...For your case, you should be able to measure the new cam's base circle and subtract it from the original cam, divide by two, and that will get you the amount of length you need to add to the stock pushrod length to maintain the same preload as stock.

FWIW, I built my own adjustable pushrod from an old LS1 pushrod, a 10-32 screw, and 2 nuts. Took about 15 minutes and about 50 cents worth of materials.

Get notified of new replies

To Pushrod length help!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Pushrod length help!