Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Kaotik cam install, great work by Vengeance but lower than expected numbers.Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Boryke
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kaotik cam install, great work by Vengeance but lower than expected numbers.Opinions?

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help decipher these results and see if they are in the expected norms.

I dropped my car off last week at Vengeance to get the Kaotik cam installed in my LS7.

Previous work on the car was:
AHP Stg 4 Heads, ported and milled .20. New valves and guides.
OBX Headers + Xpipe
Fast 102, stock TB.
Halltech MF103

The car had major tuning issues which I posted about here. It would start to KR terribly around 4k+ rpms. Turned out that my stock cats were clogged and the car was getting some oil in the intake. I got rid of the stock exhaust and added the OBX headers and also installed a catch can and Vengeance was able to tune the car correctly. Max timing was 21 after the dyno tune.
After looking at my previous numbers, I realized that Vengeance gave them to me in STD. My STD numbers were 512 rwhp and 476rwtq with the heads, headers, Fast 102 and Halltech 103.

All of the previous work was done by myself.

So fast forward to this week I drop the car off for Vengeance to install their Kaotik camshaft kit with dual springs. They also gutted the OBX cats that I had on the car.

Please note I was very impressed with the work they did. The car is in tip top shape and Mike must have worked his *** off on the drivability tune because I can cruise at 1200rpm uphill in 6th gear without any bucking or problems.

The issue is the numbers the car put down look to be way down compared to similarly modded cars. The STD numbers were 546rwhp and 506rwtq. This is a 38 and 30tq gain over the previous numbers. However, my SAE numbers were only 538rwhp and 496rwtq. I was expecting somewhere in the 555 - 565 range SAE. Other cars that vengeance has done with the MSD intake and a similar package have produced 580rwhp SAE pretty consistently on their dyno.

Here are two examples

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dle-video.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-inside.html

I can't tell if the numbers in those videos are STD or SAE as they aren't listed on the dyno graph.

The car has a stock TB on it, could I be giving up that much HP by not having a NW102 on the car? Could the car be hurt somehow from the previous KR it was experiencing? The motor has 14k miles on it.

I didn't get a print out with the AF ratio nor do I know how much timing was in the car for these numbers. I can pull the tune later with HP tuners. Of note, the car runs like a raped ape... so it feels like the power is there for sure. Vengeance said the weather could have an affect as it was almost 100 in the dyno room on these pulls but I figured SAE and STD would correct for that. It's also possible they simply have a stingy dyno. I don't know if anyone else that has had their car dyno'ed there and somewhere else could comment.

Here is the STD before and after cam

Name:  7C2IH4O.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  266.8 KB

Here is the SAE after the cam

Name:  ZOuSd0a.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  881.1 KB

Opinions? I am not going to get too hung up on chasing a number; the true test will be hitting the track this fall once it cools off.

Also, here is a quick soundclip. The cam sounds amazing.

Last edited by Boryke; 07-16-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:25 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Dyno #'s can be taken with a grain of salt. They all read different due to a few different issues.

the true test will be hitting the track

Exactly
Old 07-16-2016, 03:53 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The cars you linked above have different heads on them which could be the difference .
Old 07-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Boryke
Instructor

Originally Posted by dapopa9
The cars you linked above have different heads on them which could be the difference .
I am afraid that might be the issue. Despite AHP having a great reputation there isn't a lot of dynojet numbers with their ported / milled heads floating around.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Blueline
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your numbers sound about right and coming out of shop like Vengeance, I wouldn't be concerned unless they gave you reason to be (which it sounds like they did not). I would be more happy about the driveability. My last Z06 had the Katech Torquer cam, though I loved the sound at idle and performance, I always had some minor surging on the highway. Three different tuners tunes it. Ed Hutchins got it the best, but I sold the car right after. I like the idle on your cam and if your saying driveabilty is spot on, maybe Ill ship my next Z to Vengeance and have them do all the work. For me driveability is everything. Just get out there and enjoy the car, sounds great and thats alot of power you have there. For comparison, my 06 made 555/500 tq with Torquer cam, WCCH ported heads, Haltech, ported stock intake, stock TB, AR Longtubes and catted X pipe. I can not remember if those were SAE or STD numbers. GL!
Old 07-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Boryke
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blueline
Your numbers sound about right and coming out of shop like Vengeance, I wouldn't be concerned unless they gave you reason to be (which it sounds like they did not). I would be more happy about the driveability. My last Z06 had the Katech Torquer cam, though I loved the sound at idle and performance, I always had some minor surging on the highway. Three different tuners tunes it. Ed Hutchins got it the best, but I sold the car right after. I like the idle on your cam and if your saying driveabilty is spot on, maybe Ill ship my next Z to Vengeance and have them do all the work. For me driveability is everything. Just get out there and enjoy the car, sounds great and thats alot of power you have there. For comparison, my 06 made 555/500 tq with Torquer cam, WCCH ported heads, Haltech, ported stock intake, stock TB, AR Longtubes and catted X pipe. I can not remember if those were SAE or STD numbers. GL!
You make a great point.

As I stated before, the drivability is crazy good considering how this cam chops. Theres a decent sized hill near my house and I put it in 6th at 1200 rpm and it pulled up the hill smooth as could be. Very impressive. I don't know how gas mileage is going to be but I assumed lower anyway.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:00 PM
Blueline
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boryke
You make a great point.

As I stated before, the drivability is crazy good considering how this cam chops. Theres a decent sized hill near my house and I put it in 6th at 1200 rpm and it pulled up the hill smooth as could be. Very impressive. I don't know how gas mileage is going to be but I assumed lower anyway.
Thats all that matters! Enjoy
Old 07-16-2016, 08:51 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Problem with the internet theres always someone to tell you theres something wrong with what you got. Lots of bad info and pie in the sky dynos floating around that may lead you to think theres something wrong when theres not.

If it runs good leave it and track it bet its fine

Tell us you dont regularly lug it like that assuming it was mentioned "for example" only.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Boryke
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Problem with the internet theres always someone to tell you theres something wrong with what you got. Lots of bad info and pie in the sky dynos floating around that may lead you to think theres something wrong when theres not.

If it runs good leave it and track it bet its fine

Tell us you dont regularly lug it like that assuming it was mentioned "for example" only.
Normally not. I heard years ago it was stressful on the main bearings? Back in my LS1 days.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:07 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

no not good high stress load and creates heat
see guys in new C7s posting about going uphill in 7th at 35 and wondering what that "funny noise" is yikes lol then persecute GM....

Intake had work done to it?

ps Ill say the 4 letter word here solid roller. Let your nuts drop with pride

Last edited by cv67; 07-16-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Your numbers are not far off from mine, in fact they are a bit better. I put down 548 rwhp and 486 ft-lbs at Vengeance (std numbers). My mods are: kaotik cam, wcch stage II heads, arh headers and x-pipe, halltech 108 cai. I am running stock manifold, stock throttle body and stock catback (with muffler mod).

As for the gas mileage, it will absolutely suffer around town--the cam takes a lot of fuel at idle, but not horrible. If I baby it around town, I can typically get 16-17 mpg. On the highway, it's still good: I averaged 27 mpg on a 420 mile round trip not too long ago.
The following users liked this post:
csmall220 (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 09:36 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

OE poster, I can tell you that the links you posted of those 2 cars that were worked on and dynoed at Vengeance put down STD #'s.

Before I bought and installed my Kaotik cam I emailed them to ask whether the dyno sheets they posted were SAE or STD #'s and David @ Vengeance told me the latter.

I researched 5 different cars (2 of them were those cars in your links) that put down 580hp 520 torque (give or take a few) STD on their dyno. They all have Kaotiks, heads, intake (some of them stock, others were FAST or MSD) (they may have been ported on some don't remember all the details). Obviously the cars that have the FAST or MSD would put down a bit more but again generally they were all around 580/520 at the wheels STD.

You mentioned the day you dynoed that the weather was around 100F. STD #'s are STD #'s there is a slight correction factor but not as drastic as SAE. If you dynoed on a cooler day you might be around the #'s posted by those other cars. If it runs great then enjoy it and get it to the track and see what it does.

I have the same heads done by AHP with the Kaotik cam and other supporting mods. My #'s after tuning are 558/501 at the wheels SAE so I'm in the ball park with those other cars you listed.

Here's my post on it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-is-tuned.html

It can easily just be differences in dynos.

Tony
Old 07-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

What are the cam specs for the Kaotik? If it drives as well as you describe and made good power, I would reserve judgment to this fall with a nice 60 degree day and a good DA.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:44 AM
08mojo
Pro

From the Vengeance website: "Our KaotiK camshaft specifications are 235/243 .621/.624 113 LSA"

I'm pretty sure the advertised lift is with 1.7 roller rockers. So lift is closer to .660 in the LS7.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

correct 0.657/0.660" lift with 1.8 rockers
The following users liked this post:
08mojo (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Boryke
Instructor

Originally Posted by 08mojo
Your numbers are not far off from mine, in fact they are a bit better. I put down 548 rwhp and 486 ft-lbs at Vengeance (std numbers). My mods are: kaotik cam, wcch stage II heads, arh headers and x-pipe, halltech 108 cai. I am running stock manifold, stock throttle body and stock catback (with muffler mod).

As for the gas mileage, it will absolutely suffer around town--the cam takes a lot of fuel at idle, but not horrible. If I baby it around town, I can typically get 16-17 mpg. On the highway, it's still good: I averaged 27 mpg on a 420 mile round trip not too long ago.
This makes me feel better about the numbers.

Have you run yours at the track since the mods?

On a side note, I played around on the highway with a Audi S4 that put down 570AWHP on a Mustang dyno last week at Solo motorsports. I was pulling ever so slightly so I know the car is definitely making good power.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 PM
08mojo
Pro

Originally Posted by Boryke
This makes me feel better about the numbers.

Have you run yours at the track since the mods?

On a side note, I played around on the highway with a Audi S4 that put down 570AWHP on a Mustang dyno last week at Solo motorsports. I was pulling ever so slightly so I know the car is definitely making good power.
I have been to the track, but I only got "two" runs down the track and it was HOT. The first run was a shakedown pass just to get a feel for the car. I only trapped 126 mph and ran a 12.0. The "second" pass the clutch stuck to the floor on the 1-2 shift, so it was aborted. I called it a day after that because I drove the car to the track and had a 2 hour drive home. The first pass was promising. I rolled out of the hole slowly and then into the throttle. I know I could pick up a bunch of ET and pretty confident I can trap 3-4 mph higher without much effort. I was honestly surprised at the 12.0 time-slip, I really babied the car.

I did have a run on the highway with a buddy in his C6Z that put down 580 rwhp and 510(?) ft-lbs. I pulled on him down low (at the hit) then he would barely creep back up--and I mean barely.

Get notified of new replies

To Kaotik cam install, great work by Vengeance but lower than expected numbers.Opinions?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Kaotik cam install, great work by Vengeance but lower than expected numbers.Opinions?