Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam experts: Looking for guidance, please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:13 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ccryder
True....I had CamMotion custom grind me a cam for my H/C/I Z upgrades I did in the spring....they had it to me in less than a week. $475 out the door, custom made. I wanted something very driveable.
How do you like it & what power did it make? Can you share the specs?
Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Every cam is drivable its just your foot on clutch.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:40 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Every cam is drivable its just your foot on clutch.
Sure every cam is driveable, but it's a matter of how easy & smooth and how much of a hassle it can be in traffic.

I live on Long Island and there is HEAVY traffic here. Stop, go 10mph, stop go 20mph, stop, crawl at 5mph for a bit, stop & repeat 1000x on a trip to work.

That's why when I bought my 2012 5.0 brand new back in 2011 I got an automatic for the first time ever.

Now I have an F150 though for winter duties, and to commute in, whenever it's bad weather, and/or I need a break from driving a standard in traffic.

That's why I went back to a vette and got the C6Z, as I really miss the control and fun of a stick shift. Hopefully I can enjoy it. If it becomes more work then fun, due to drivability and traffic here, I'll wind up selling it, and going back to an auto.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
How do you like it & what power did it make? Can you share the specs?
I have those same questions. What's the Cam Motion idle sound like?

Last edited by Les-10; 10-11-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-11-2016, 05:23 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes stop and go traffic I agree totally its harder a little...
Old 10-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Might want to read through this thread before making that declaration...... http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...highlight=wong

Originally Posted by Nowanker

Sorry, I keep forgetting that.
I used to talk to Wong about tuning maybe a decade ago. He's no hack. I have a strong suspicion there is more to the story than what was reported in that thread.

Last edited by Tech; 10-11-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

I had Geoff at EPS spec a cam for me. He's super easy to deal with, and the cam fit my request perfectly: Good power bump but still cruises with no surge at 1500RPM.
The EPS lobes are supposed to be very easy on the hardware.
224/236 @117 (+4?) .640/.640 lift
Old 10-11-2016, 10:31 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

This is what I have and I think it's the best decision I've made so far. It's 114 LSA, Great street manners but when you let it out it raises hell. I only have LME heads, LMR tune, intake, Pfadt headers, and B&B exahust. On LMR's dyno I'm at 550 RWHP and 500 RWT
Good luck with your decision.
Attached Images  

Last edited by meanjoe; 10-11-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:51 PM
Gokussj4
Navigator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprise by now there isn't a standard for a cam profile.
from mild, moderate to wild. These can be set from a standard manufacture to customizing.
no charts available with an explanation? Down the road I plan to go with a mild set up.
The car is a weekend only and currently working on my headers (kooks) either 3/4 or 7/8, kooks mid pipes and corsa axle back.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I had Geoff at EPS spec a cam for me. He's super easy to deal with, and the cam fit my request perfectly: Good power bump but still cruises with no surge at 1500RPM.
The EPS lobes are supposed to be very easy on the hardware.
224/236 @117 (+4?) .640/.640 lift

Geoff Skinner is, what I would consider, a cam expert. Mike Jones would be another, David Vizard is obviously another...

I'm working with Geoff now. Round three with my personal car / LS7 test mule..... As soon as I can get him some more data on port flow, he'll figure out the valve events and draft up a profile for grinding. If it works out well, I might even give it a cute name (or maybe demonic) and sell it as a 'proprietary super-duper-secret' LS7 camshaft. Guys around here like that ****, so it should sell like hotcakes.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:35 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Geoff Skinner is, what I would consider, a cam expert. Mike Jones would be another, David Vizard is obviously another...

I'm working with Geoff now. Round three with my personal car / LS7 test mule..... As soon as I can get him some more data on port flow, he'll figure out the valve events and draft up a profile for grinding. If it works out well, I might even give it a cute name (or maybe demonic) and sell it as a 'proprietary super-duper-secret' LS7 camshaft. Guys around here like that ****, so it should sell like hotcakes.
Make sure you do that on the Camaro forums and LS1Tech, who knows you could become an over night internet sensation!

PS Don't forget about Yellow Bullet!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:42 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

(or maybe demonic) .

Id do a 114 and clone the torquer 110-116 but add 3-5 on exh and int lift.

Call it a "devilita"
Old 10-12-2016, 01:33 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

You've got a slick shaft mount rocker system...so I imagine this super-duper top secret cam wont work for most lowly mortals still running stock rockers.

As far as the name...it has to strike fear in the hearts of those who dare contemplate purchasing it. The Reaper, the Angel of Death, Satan's helper, etc.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:16 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Satan's helper cam is the bomb!!! Makes like 800rwhp on factory setup

Last edited by vertC6; 10-12-2016 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

LOL.....glad you guys got the satire.

But yah, I do use the Crower rail system, so I can run more lift. That's why I'm working with Geoff. His standard lobe profiles are for use with ORM rockers, which is why total lift on them is limited. This cam will target. 675-ish lift, but keep the general open and closing profile of his EPS lobe.

The end goal is a stable valve train, 580ish RWHP. solid torque curve, with what I consider good sub 2500 rpm manners (and I'm very fussy). If it works out well, I'll disclose all details, including tuning details. If not, there will be a round four.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:00 AM
MikeOC
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL.....glad you guys got the satire.

But yah, I do use the Crower rail system, so I can run more lift. That's why I'm working with Geoff. His standard lobe profiles are for use with ORM rockers, which is why total lift on them is limited. This cam will target. 675-ish lift, but keep the general open and closing profile of his EPS lobe.

The end goal is a stable valve train, 580ish RWHP. solid torque curve, with what I consider good sub 2500 rpm manners (and I'm very fussy). If it works out well, I'll disclose all details, including tuning details. If not, there will be a round four.
Michael, I am about to contact Geoff and get cam ground.

I have the Crower system on RHS heads, and I am also interested in the 2500 rpm range like you.

Any advice before contacting Geoff?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:18 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Know exactly what you want to achieve, and be frank with your goals. Set your boundaries, and then just let give him the leash. Pay attention and take notes....LOL Geoff is one smart cookie. And if he has time, he'll go into great detail, and overload you real quick.
The following users liked this post:
MikeOC (10-26-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Cam experts: Looking for guidance, please.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:52 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

As an update to my post, I drove the car for the first time last night (Took a while to arrive, and then took me some time to get it registered) and I was pleasantly surprised. Keep in mind this was the first time I drove a stick since 2009 when I sold my H/C/I/Full exhaust 2001 Z06, so I was a bit nervous and intimidated. And guess what, it was no big deal at all!

Part of it I'm sure is the fact that the car still has the stock clutch. But once the car got warmed up and I started getting used to the clutch it was pretty easy to drive even with this big cam.

And OMG, the car makes power everywhere. I couldn't believe how effortlessly this car accelerates, at any rpm.

It just sounds so mean and intimidating at idle, but once you start driving it you get used to it very fast, and I was blown away by the car. It's a beast yet very very controllable

On a side note with the car being pretty much slammed on coilovers and having 20's with super low profile tires on all 4 I expected it to ride like a brick but wow, it was so smooth, and the cornering was insane. Zero body roll, and so quick and effortless to turn-in. The Corbeau seats also hold you so snug. Total go kart on rails.

First time driving a C6Z and I was blown away. The car is amazing all around and a total neck snapper. The attention this car gets...you feel like Madonna in her prime walking naked down the street.

Now the real test will be in heavy traffic and rough roads, but so far I couldn't be happier, and no longer fear decent size cams, at least in terms of drivability, in average traffic.

Last edited by kbreese; 10-26-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:16 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

There are no cam experts here.

I suggest you drive the car around for a while. Figure out what bothers you, then post back.
Ok updated impressions here. The cam is not bad if I were just to occasionally take it out on the weekends. But when warm weather comes I want to be able to drive it at least a few times a week to work, etc. The cam will not work for my commute. Here is my take:

Pros:
1.) Sounds mean. Aggressive lope that is a big attention getter and says "You will lose" haha.
2.) The drivability isn't that bad, especially with the stock clutch.
3.) The car still makes power every where. Ton of power on tap, and just screams up top.

Cons:
1.) Fumes. The car just stinks, and I feel bad for anyone driving behind me. And they are probably thinking damn that car stinks instead of wow that's badass.
2.) Trying to casually cruise is not great because it has to be held at like 2k rpm or above, or will want to start bucking a little. Additionally it makes the gas mileage really bad.
3.) #1 above. There are times where I probably don't want to sound like a drag car. Even with the exhaust closed it's still very aggressive sounding. I love it most times, but other times I probably won't be in the mood.
4.) I am pretty sure in stop and go traffic it will be a big PITA. At times, my commute can be 40 mins to an hour of stop and go.
5.) I worry about the valvetrain.

The car is awesome and badass, I just need it a little more tame and livable on a day to day basis.

Come spring I will definitely be looking to get a smaller cam. I'd prefer something that can get me around or close to 550rwhp (Remember the car as TSP heads, & LT's, so I hope that's attainable) and be very easy on the valvetrain and can cruise along @ 1500rpms or maybe even less nice and smoothly.

Just hoping it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The Vette Doctors are great but not exactly cheap. Combo of Vette and Long Island tax! I'll be looking to order a custom cam probably from one of the places mentioned in this thread and have the Vette Docs do the install and tune.

Last edited by kbreese; 11-16-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
Ok updated impressions here. The cam is not bad if I were just to occasionally take it out on the weekends. But when warm weather comes I want to be able to drive it at least a few times a week to work, etc. The cam will not work for my commute. Here is my take:

Pros:
1.) Sounds mean. Aggressive lope that is a big attention getter and says "You will lose" haha.
2.) The drivability isn't that bad, especially with the stock clutch.
3.) The car still makes power every where. Ton of power on tap, and just screams up top.

Cons:
1.) Fumes. The car just stinks, and I feel bad for anyone driving behind me. And they are probably thinking damn that car stinks instead of wow that's badass.
2.) Trying to casually cruise is not great because it has to be held at like 2k rpm or above, or will want to start bucking a little. Additionally it makes the gas mileage really bad.
3.) #1 above. There are times where I probably don't want to sound like a drag car. Even with the exhaust closed it's still very aggressive sounding. I love it most times, but other times I probably won't be in the mood.
4.) I am pretty sure in stop and go traffic it will be a big PITA. At times, my commute can be 40 mins to an hour of stop and go.
5.) I worry about the valvetrain.

The car is awesome and badass, I just need it a little more tame and livable on a day to day basis.

Come spring I will definitely be looking to get a smaller cam. I'd prefer something that can get me around or close to 550rwhp (Remember the car as TSP heads, & LT's, so I hope that's attainable) and be very easy on the valvetrain and can cruise along @ 1500rpms or maybe even less nice and smoothly.

Just hoping it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The Vette Doctors are great but not exactly cheap. Combo of Vette and Long Island tax! I'll be looking to order a custom cam probably from one of the places mentioned in this thread and have the Vette Docs do the install and tune.
I may have missed it but I didn't see if you mentioned what long tubes you have and, more importantly, if you have catted or non-catted pipes running between them and the back part of the system. If you don't have cats, that would explain the smell of your exhaust.
Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Custom grind endurance lobe cam from EPS or CamMotion.
Geoff at EPS will take the time to figure out what you're looking for and also to explain why he has chosen specific lobes to meet your needs. He quoted me $445. Kip at CamMotion can do the same thing. Both are very solid choices and they prefer endurance lobes to help the valvetrain be quieter and live longer.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam experts: Looking for guidance, please.