Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] OEM Navigation update and general questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 AM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default OEM Navigation update and general questions

Hey guys. I just picked up a mint 2007 Z06 2LZ w/ navigation.

I am not a huge fan of aftermarket stereos, and am planning on doing bluetooth integration. However, the last few cars I've had with navigation have been 2015-2016 models, so I kinda just want to check and see if the navigation is halfway decent.

I see here that an update to 2016 maps is $160, which kinda sucks, but if I'm going to attempt to use the OE nav system, I don't want to be using 2007 maps.

http://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/prod...en_US/GMNA/USD

Any insight? Is the OEM nav reasonably quick? Or would I be better off just spending twice (at least) as much as the disc and bluetooth integration on an Apple CarPlay combatible headunit? I'm not a huge tech nerd, so as long as it is bearable for longer road trips, I think I'll be content.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The aftermarket stuff is 100000000x better. Spend the $500 and put in a nice modern head unit.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OEM navigation is junk.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:08 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyCobb
OEM navigation is junk.
TOTALLY!!!

The audio quality is horrible (Bose) and no connectivity. Nav is unuseable by todays standards. I have same year and trim as you..... either put up with it, as is, or replace. Dont spend ANY money on the update. Cant believe they still sell that crappy update.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 595 Posts

if you dont want to swap it out, look around...you can find the disc for around $100

http://www.carsnavigation.com/catego...eneral-motors/
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

As others have said.. the OEM navigation looks like it was built for the Atari. I opted for a Kenwood and use Apple CarPlay most of the time. It isn't perfect tho. It has crashed on me a few times and rebooted itself. It takes a bit longer to boot up when you start the car. BUT, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I didn't think the GM system was all that bad. It worked just as well as my cell phone did.

The big problem you may have is with the Nav update. GM is slow to produce updates. This is the first time I saw a 2016 version. When I sold my 08 in November of last year the only thing available at that time was the 2013 version. Check to make sure which one you already have. It can take GM 5 or 10 years to get local roads that have been around for 20 years into their data base.

Bill
Old 12-05-2016, 11:29 PM
cseaman
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I didn't think the GM system was all that bad. It worked just as well as my cell phone did.

The big problem you may have is with the Nav update. GM is slow to produce updates. This is the first time I saw a 2016 version. When I sold my 08 in November of last year the only thing available at that time was the 2013 version. Check to make sure which one you already have. It can take GM 5 or 10 years to get local roads that have been around for 20 years into their data base.

Bill
Thanks for the insight. This may be a tough decision.

Originally Posted by Travlee
if you dont want to swap it out, look around...you can find the disc for around $100

http://www.carsnavigation.com/catego...eneral-motors/
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Unreal
The aftermarket stuff is 100000000x better. Spend the $500 and put in a nice modern head unit.
Yeah, we'll see. I am already $6k into an otherwise mint 7500 mile 2007 Z06 that I bought a week ago, by getting it up to par with fixed heads/cam/intake/wheels/tires. I won't see the thing until I get home from this deployment in June. Not trying to needlessly add another chunk if I can be happy with OE given the minimal use it'll see.

Last edited by cseaman; 12-05-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:36 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by cseaman
I don't want to be using 2007 maps.

Its not worth the cost.

Think about this, these maps are most useful in big cities, and most have had little to no change for 100 years. so an 07 map will do most every thing you will need it too.

Todays new maps are years behind anyway and never cover everything anyway.

I can update my hardrive based nav for free and its not worth doing at that cost LOL
Old 12-06-2016, 02:05 PM
CrystalRedZ07
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

The worst part to me about the OEM navigation is the horrible display. The maps look like they were drawn on the back of a napkin by a third grader. So disappointing when my 8 year old $155 Garmin looks so much better and has free lifetime traffic and map updates.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:33 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by CrystalRedZ07
The worst part to me about the OEM navigation is the horrible display. The maps look like they were drawn on the back of a napkin by a third grader. So disappointing when my 8 year old $155 Garmin looks so much better and has free lifetime traffic and map updates.
One of my points exactly. dont waste any money on attempting an upgrade. It is too dated. I do marine navigational systems and the technology has changed immensely in all arenas. In addition, the resolution on this screen is horrendous.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

OEM nav is garbage. I'm running a GM PAL with a Bluetooth transmitter. Works ok but you can only stream music not get calls. The aftermarket stuff is so much better.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:52 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I agree. I've used the OEM system on many X/C trips from coast to coast and it works well, the "Detour" function saved me a lot of pain on a desolate stretch of I-80 once. The HUD implementation is particularly useful in unfamiliar towns as you can keep your eyes on the road in front of you without looking down and possibly having a traffic incident in close quarters. You lose the HUD integration with aftermarket units. I also prefer the looks of the OEM maps vice the cartoonish maps of after market units as the OEM maps are similar in detail and imagery to military aircraft navigation system maps I have used (A-7/ F-18). Depends on what you're used to and how well you learn the operating system.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:01 AM
cseaman
Racer

Originally Posted by Minkster
I agree. I've used the OEM system on many X/C trips from coast to coast and it works well, the "Detour" function saved me a lot of pain on a desolate stretch of I-80 once. The HUD implementation is particularly useful in unfamiliar towns as you can keep your eyes on the road in front of you without looking down and possibly having a traffic incident in close quarters. You lose the HUD integration with aftermarket units. I also prefer the looks of the OEM maps vice the cartoonish maps of after market units as the OEM maps are similar in detail and imagery to military aircraft navigation system maps I have used (A-7/ F-18). Depends on what you're used to and how well you learn the operating system.
That's great insight. I'm an Army Officer and used to military mapping systems as well; I don't need anything highspeed in this car. I won't really use the nav around town, just to help keep track of the miles on road trips between KC and Arizona. So if the updated maps will work fine for that, I think I'll be happy with spending $120 on that, and about $100 on bluetooth integration.

Especialllllly in comparison to spending $600 on a headunit and all the other crap, and still needing to find a competent shop to install it that won't take the car out for a joyride if I leave it with them.

Last edited by cseaman; 12-08-2016 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Install is SUPER simple. You can do it yourself.

$600 is super high. You can get a very nice system for far less.

For what you want, just don't update it at all. It will do exactly what you want as is.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:50 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Android HUs offer myriad navigation options.

Originally Posted by bjmsam
since Google Maps is a web app, it would require cellular service with a data plan (via smart phone or the HU's connection for a 3G dongle) to update the map as you drive. There are many Android navigation apps that use maps stored on the SD card; this HU came with iGO as the default, which is light-years ahead of the stock HU's navigation system.

Google Maps:

iGo:

I replaced my OEM HU with an Android HU two years ago. Navigation is terrific, and the ability to run apps like Torque and DashCommand (and Chrome, and Gmail, and Fuelly, and...) makes my '07 feel like a '16. I will never again consider a traditional HU for any of my vehicles!

I changed only the head unit. Other models are available with slightly larger screens but I prefer ***** and the stock-like appearance of this one. I did the installation myself and discovered later that professional installation would have been quite reasonable. The Android HU, interface, camera and trim totaled $478, but as I sold the stock HU for $414, this upgrade cost me only $64. None of the factory wiring was molested, so reverting to stock is quick and easy (plug and play), but I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that!
Good luck!
Old 12-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Not only that, but google maps can store areas offline. Easy enough to keep the local area on the HU and just upload new ones where you are going.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Navigation update and general questions

Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Android HUs offer myriad navigation options.

Good luck!
Seen this in several posts, a few questions:
-Can you use an adaptor to connect to the OEM GPS antenna?
-Where do you download or acquire updated maps for the SD card?
-How much area does the SD card maps cover, do they have POI's etc?
-Can this be used without having a smart phone or data plan?
-Can it display directions on the HUD, and/or voice commands?
-Bluetooth for a cellphone, and can you use the vehicles OEM mic?
-Sound quality?
-USB?
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:36 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
Seen this in several posts, a few questions:
I answered your questions here to avoid hijacking this thread and to allow forum members with models newer than mine (2014) to contribute.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Default Try this, cheap!

"[QUOTE=cseaman;1593602208]Hey guys. I just picked up a mint 2007 Z06 2LZ w/ navigation.

I am not a huge fan of aftermarket stereos, and am planning on doing bluetooth integration. However, the last few cars I've had with navigation have been 2015-2016 models, so I kinda just want to check and see if the navigation is halfway decent.[QUOTE]"

Just installed, lol, plugged this in.... works awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018E...dapter+for+car

This thing works crazy easy and well!!!! $23.00

im not ready to buy a head unit so got this. allows music and phone calls from your phone. just set your stereo on an unused fm station, in my case 87.7. It will come on auto on/off in our cars bc the cig lighter is on acc and ign only. Has built in mic, will play micro sd, answer calls, ffwd songs, etc.

Look, its not anywhere as good as a replacement head unit or anything like that, but sounds just as good as any other fm station.

Last edited by ratomicZ06; 12-10-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] OEM Navigation update and general questions