Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MTBSully's 08 Z06 Winter 2017 Build (E85, MSD, Heads Etc)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 PM
injfuel
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95
You planning on measuring your fuel pressure at idle before and after pump install? I'm curious to see if it goes up. Some people claim the stock regulator can't keep up.
Yea and there's other people claiming they've been running that walbro 450 for 2 years plus no issues , I can tell you that there's a few guys around my area that have been using the stock pump for some time now and one guy makes 630whp (he's been on the stock pump for a year) of course they're running bigger injectors
Old 01-14-2017, 06:31 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by injfuel
Yea and there's other people claiming they've been running that walbro 450 for 2 years plus no issues , I can tell you that there's a few guys around my area that have been using the stock pump for some time now and one guy makes 630whp (he's been on the stock pump for a year) of course they're running bigger injectors
He must be using a boost a pump too with that stock pump with E85. Definitely weird how some people can go years while others only days.

I suspect the people that say the regulator can't keep up are right and people just tune around it and don't even know. I don't want to do that though.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:41 PM
injfuel
Racer

He must be using a boost a pump too with that stock pump with E85. Definitely weird how some people can go years while others only days.

I suspect the people that say the regulator can't keep up are right and people just tune around it and don't even know. I don't want to do that though.
I don't understand how a regulator can't "keep up" and if it's returnless then it should have a rail pressure sensor and a fuel pump driver correct ? I've never heard of a returnless system that had an actual regulator like on a return style system
Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

I don't understand how a regulator can't "keep up" and if it's returnless then it should have a rail pressure sensor and a fuel pump driver correct ? I've never heard of a returnless system that had an actual regulator like on a return style system
No there is a mechanical regulator in the tank. There is no fuel pressure sensor. Zr1s are PWMd like u described.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:35 PM
injfuel
Racer

No there is a mechanical regulator in the tank. There is no fuel pressure sensor. Zr1s are PWMd like u described.
So what's the fix for the regulator issue for the walbro 450 , I know returnless systems are good for well past 600hp so I know going return style isn't necessary
Old 01-14-2017, 07:35 PM
injfuel
Racer

He just told me all he's running is a racetronix "hot wire" kit , no BAP
Old 01-14-2017, 07:59 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

He just told me all he's running is a racetronix "hot wire" kit , no BAP
Wow I'm surprised it's keeping up. Even a 450 pump on E85 only supports 650-700 from what I've read.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:00 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

So what's the fix for the regulator issue for the walbro 450 , I know returnless systems are good for well past 600hp so I know going return style isn't necessary
Running a return line and aftermarket external regulator.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:09 PM
injfuel
Racer

Wow I'm surprised it's keeping up. Even a 450 pump on E85 only supports 650-700 from what I've read.
Check this out , these are the specs from the lingenfelter drop in replacement pump system they sell for our cars

- Flows over 260 lph at 13.5 volts at 400 kPa (58 psi) fuel pressure. This flow rating is module output (to the fuel rail) and accounts for the flow required to drive the modules internal venturi pump, the passenger side venturi transfer pump and the pressure drop across the check valve, internal fuel filter and other internal components (fittings, lines etc.)
- On gasoline at 13.5 volts the module will support roughly 800 HP naturally aspirated (~0.5 BSFC) and 700 HP for turbocharged/supercharged applications (~0.6 BSFC)
- On E85 at 13.5 volts the module will support roughly 650 HP naturally aspirated and 500 HP for turbocharged/supercharged applications

Here's the link for the item
http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.WHu5rIY8KEe

So basically they are stating a pump only putting out 260lph will support 650hp so probably 550rwhp ? Does that sound accurate?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Check this out , these are the specs from the lingenfelter drop in replacement pump system they sell for our cars

- Flows over 260 lph at 13.5 volts at 400 kPa (58 psi) fuel pressure. This flow rating is module output (to the fuel rail) and accounts for the flow required to drive the modules internal venturi pump, the passenger side venturi transfer pump and the pressure drop across the check valve, internal fuel filter and other internal components (fittings, lines etc.)
- On gasoline at 13.5 volts the module will support roughly 800 HP naturally aspirated (~0.5 BSFC) and 700 HP for turbocharged/supercharged applications (~0.6 BSFC)
- On E85 at 13.5 volts the module will support roughly 650 HP naturally aspirated and 500 HP for turbocharged/supercharged applications

Here's the link for the item
http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.WHu5rIY8KEe

So basically they are stating a pump only putting out 260lph will support 650hp so probably 550rwhp ? Does that sound accurate?
If a 450 pump, which I believe flows 430lph, is only good for 650-700rwhp, I don't see how this lingenfelter pump would even be close to enough for a 625ish rwhp E85 setup. I may call lingenfelter this week to see what they have to say. I do like that their unit retains the jet pump and check valve.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:40 PM
injfuel
Racer

Sorry to hijack your thread MTBsully with all this fuel system info but I know you've been involved with a lot of the threads I've researched involving your 450 swap and any logistics that involve this swap and supporting info so I hope it's helping us learn more , but I'll stop discussing this stuff if you wish
Old 01-15-2017, 02:10 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Sorry to hijack your thread MTBsully with all this fuel system info but I know you've been involved with a lot of the threads I've researched involving your 450 swap and any logistics that involve this swap and supporting info so I hope it's helping us learn more , but I'll stop discussing this stuff if you wish
No problem at all. Its all good information.

Might try and get started on the fuel pump install tonight.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Got a bit done tonight. Will finish tomorrow most likely.Drained all the fuel from drivers tank by jumping the relay. Everything was a breeze except the crossover tube. The lines stuck in the tube, as it seems a lit of people have issues with, but i cannot get the tube to pull out enough to even see them. Already removed aluminum tray below passengers side tank. Need to figure out a way to get some more wiggle room in the crossover tube.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:42 PM
injfuel
Racer

I have a brand new aeromotive 340lph stealth pump that I verified is good for e85 , on their website they said as long as you ran a inline 40 micron filter after the pump that they have seen over 1000 hours at 60psi and 13.5 volts with no issues , I'm gonna run the racetronix hot wire kit and and intermediate pump harness as well , the 340 with the wiring kit should easily be good for 600rwhp on e85 , I already had the pump new in the box for a build I did for a guy and he ended up using a different pump and he gave me this one , and I'm only speculating but I bet since it's the same size as a walbro 255 it should fit perfectly in my fuel basket , I'll still lose the line that fills the basket and the check valve but it isn't an issue with the 450 walbro so should be fine with mine , also it will be less stress on the factory regulator
Old 01-15-2017, 09:45 PM
Schred86
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Theres a lil hanger that holds the cross over tube kinda in the middle. Pop it off of that to get a lil more wiggle room too. Just keep prying and it will eventually pop. I had the same problem. The hoses inside wouldn't come undone and i broke one of the locking clips. But it did finally come apart. I took a break and my buddy went under there and got it. I used a long screwdriver and a prybar to get enough leverage. No way u can do it without it.

Last edited by Schred86; 01-15-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:44 PM
injfuel
Racer

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Got a bit done tonight. Will finish tomorrow most likely.Drained all the fuel from drivers tank by jumping the relay. Everything was a breeze except the crossover tube. The lines stuck in the tube, as it seems a lit of people have issues with, but i cannot get the tube to pull out enough to even see them. Already removed aluminum tray below passengers side tank. Need to figure out a way to get some more wiggle room in the crossover tube.

I'll be starting on mine as soon as your done or get into it enough we're I can understand the process , that crossover tube looks nasty lol
Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Schred86
Theres a lil hanger that holds the cross over tube kinda in the middle. Pop it off of that to get a lil more wiggle room too. Just keep prying and it will eventually pop. I had the same problem. The hoses inside wouldn't come undone and i broke one of the locking clips. But it did finally come apart. I took a break and my buddy went under there and got it. I used a long screwdriver and a prybar to get enough leverage. No way u can do it without it.
Yeah I was tired and getting frustrated so i called it quits before I broke anything. I forgot to mention I already popped the pipe off the hanger. Going to go back at it tonight with some channel lock pliers and my long prybar and see what shakes loose. Hopefully dont break anything.

Get notified of new replies

To MTBSully's 08 Z06 Winter 2017 Build (E85, MSD, Heads Etc)

Old 01-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Schred86
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Yea. Take your time with it. Also when I reinstalled it i put white lithium grease on all the o rings
Old 01-16-2017, 11:00 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Another hour or so tonight and I'm just about done. Couple notes:

-Dont understand why people cut the stock bucket. I reused the original filter sock and it went back together like factory.

-I did not cut the factory fuel line that doesnt attach to the pump. Not sure why some people do?

- I may cut down my fuel line a bit more. When the bucket assembly compresses on the springs it seems that it almost wants to kink. Why does the bucket change length anyways? It appears it rests in the tank in the compressed position.

I jumpered the relay again with the harness plugged back in and the fuel tanks still outside the car, and the pump kicked on. I should be good to go.

Finally out

Crossover pipe fittings

Stock bucket

Walbro and Stock side by side. Effectively the same size

Fits in there like stock

Wiring it up.

Ready to go back in the tank<br/>
Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

From what I've read the 450 recently changed size or something and fits right in. I'll be doing mine tomorrow and will find out as well.

I'm going to be installing mine with a hydramat, but your pics give me hope that I'll only need to do slight modification to make it fit vs old threads.

Last edited by sevinn; 01-17-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MTBSully's 08 Z06 Winter 2017 Build (E85, MSD, Heads Etc)