Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HELP! C6 Z06 Cranks no start & Starts and looses Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 05:34 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default HELP! C6 Z06 Cranks no start & Starts and looses Ignition

Well here we go bringing up a previous gremlin again. I have a 2009 Z06, this issue came up first time in May 2017. I was leaving from a restaurant and the car attempted to start then stalled and would just turn over and not start after that. i ran the battery down trying to figure what it could be with confirmation of having fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge on the rail. I ended up changing the battery to continue diagnosis and the car started right up. After a couple nights of forum surfing i found several corvette guys suggesting to disconnect the battery and reconnect and that would work.

fast forward to December and it did it again. I disconnected the battery and it worked again.

now i figure i have an issue i have to address but no codes come up.

one more time this past february it does it again only this time it doesnt start at all. i end up having it towed to the dealer thinking with the extended warraty they can find out what it is.

NOPE! after 4 days at the dealer sitting there, the battery is dead. they jump it and the car starts right up.

so i take the car home with no result or diagnosis.

now here is the newest issue. I drive the car now and during idle the car will just stall

then i crank it right back up

i left for a drive last night and while i was driving it would just loose ignition and if i stepped on the clutch it would idle way down like barely 500rpm and misfire really bad

i would engage the clutch in gear and it would backfire or then eventually just idle normal after a few seconds.

now....

after i brought it home from the dealer. i washed the car and the engine bay. Im thinking today that maybe something got wet in the engine bay but ive washed the engine bay many times before.

lets see if you guys can maybe help with some suggestions for me to look into.

thanks!

#rob20rx7

RoB
Old 03-03-2018, 05:44 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Sounds like batteries are dying too quickly. Possible draw issue somewhere when the car is off, but with issues while the car is running makes me think alternator issues. Have those been looked at and tested? All positive cables and grounds clean and tight?

Last edited by MTPZ06; 03-03-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:36 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Sounds like batteries are dying too quickly. Possible draw issue somewhere when the car is off, but with issues while the car is running makes me think alternator issues. Have those been looked at and tested? All positive cables and grounds clean and tight?

battery issue is an amp draw coming from the viper gps alarm. parasitic drain on the battery will drain it if not on a tender

alternator was servoced by billettech back in september. all ground cables have been checked along with some additional 4awg positive cable mods to help with voltage issues on these cars.

after doing some more reading im leaning towards checking the cam shaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor. also the power going to the power relay for the MSD coils.

last also going to check under the main fuse box in the hood
Old 03-04-2018, 12:26 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Cam sensor was my next suggestion...you may be on the right track.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:00 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Check not only the hot cable to the starter but also the little tab (the nut is 1 inch below the other one) that goes from that cable to the starter itself. I found that both mine were loose and it through a P0335 Crank sensor code (and I had no tach for a few minutes). I am still testing but so far OK. I was having hard crank at idle issues usually when hot.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:16 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

I’d look at the crank position sensor and the starter. Good news is to check the crank sensor the starte comes out. Look for melting, loose connections or even a broken stud on the starter. If all good check or just change the sensor. Look for cracks on it, poor connections or fluid intrusion on the connector. Could be with the cam position sensor but I’d check the other two first. The car should run even if the cam sensor is bad. It will gives faults and potentially driving issues but still run because it will rely on other feedback.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:14 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm going to suggest looking in a different direction. If stepping on a hydraulic clutch is somehow causing a electrical glitch, I'd start by looking under the dash for something loose. Wiggle every wire you can get your hands on near the clutch, brake and gas peddle to see if you can recreate the RPM drop you see stepping on the clutch.

Last edited by stefuel; 03-04-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Remember, the throttle in these cars are fly-by-wire.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:57 PM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

found the culprit!!

it was the 12v Relay for the MSD ignition coils. one cannot run the MSD coils off the factory harness because it draws way too many amps and causes misfire issues. I purchased the harness MSD sells which seem to have come with some chinese relay that went bad. Changed it for a Bosch and all is perfect! At least so far. I went ahead and broke open the relay that was removed and it was fill of corrosion and the contacts had build up on them. So buy american relays!

thanks for all the input guys!

RoB
#rob20rx7
The following 2 users liked this post by rob20rx7:
phipp85 (03-06-2018), redcycle13 (03-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! C6 Z06 Cranks no start & Starts and looses Ignition

Quick Reply: [Z06] HELP! C6 Z06 Cranks no start & Starts and looses Ignition