Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Considering XPEL Ultimate...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
Actually, no. It started getting too expensive and had to cut it off somewhere. Wanted to fully cover the main areas of concern and $3,000.00 was my limit for fancy saran wrap! I figure I can just touch up those little areas if need be.
For three grand, you'd think they could throw those in.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
It's Long Island, bro! lol
Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Specially the mirrors hanging out there to attract car doors. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
My thoughts exactly. Specially the mirrors hanging out there to attract car doors. Good luck.
With regard to the price he did throw in a lot of free prep/paint correction work based on the prices for each area. That is supposed to be extra as it states right on his site, but he didn't charge me much for it.

Seems prices are all over the place for what people charge. For the amount of area being covered, his prices seem quite fair from other prices I've seen. And like I said, he has a top notch rep.

As far as the mirrors attracting car doors, I pretty much never park near other cars. The spot I park in at work is by itself, and if I park in a parking lot, it will be way out away from other cars.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Jean (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

With regard to the price he did throw in a lot of free prep/paint correction work based on the prices for each area. That is supposed to be extra as it states right on his site, but he didn't charge me much for it.

Seems prices are all over the place for what people charge. For the amount of area being covered, his prices seem quite fair from other prices I've seen. And like I said, he has a top notch rep.

As far as the mirrors attracting car doors, I pretty much never park near other cars. The spot I park in at work is by itself, and if I park in a parking lot, it will be way out away from other cars.
I understand, it's just that the mirrors are such a small area to do.
I'm sure you'll be happy with it all.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:33 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

It's Long Island, bro! lol
Oh I get it...here on "da islands" nothing, and I mean nothing, is free.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:57 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
I understand, it's just that the mirrors are such a small area to do.
I'm sure you'll be happy with it all.
Yeah I hear you, I emailed him asking how much more. We'll see...
Old 05-18-2017, 02:56 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Kbreeze,
Be sure to have the installer run a strip of limo right across the top of the windshield. Its a great add to kill the sun in your eyes, and here in OK...20$ extra.
kbreese (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 04:03 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh I get it...here on "da islands" nothing, and I mean nothing, is free.
He replied to my email asking about doing the mirrors:

"they're already done. it's partial coverage on the mirrors. too round to do it all 1 piece"

Glad to know that was included in the price. I'm assuming (hoping) the partial coverage is the main front part...
Old 05-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

He replied to my email asking about doing the mirrors:

"they're already done. it's partial coverage on the mirrors. too round to do it all 1 piece"

Glad to know that was included in the price. I'm assuming (hoping) the partial coverage is the main front part...
That's great. That's what they usually do.

Last edited by Mr. Jean; 05-18-2017 at 04:16 PM.
kbreese (05-18-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

What's it like when you guys was the car with this film on it? Does it make it easier, and no worries about scratching the paint? (In the areas that are covered).
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

What's it like when you guys was the car with this film on it? Does it make it easier, and no worries about scratching the paint? (In the areas that are covered).
You treat it just like paint, wash, wax. It is absolutely amazing how it reflects more with wax like paint does. The wrap does 80% of the mirrors, it will have 1/4" or so border that it doesn't cover. Your cost seems reasonable for the area and paint correction is a large chunk of your total. There is no better feeling than hitting bugs and everything else and using detail spray to get them off. I just had it put on a BMW I bought and the same type kit you got and it was about $1600.00. Vette was done several years ago.
kbreese (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by psp6158
You treat it just like paint, wash, wax. It is absolutely amazing how it reflects more with wax like paint does. The wrap does 80% of the mirrors, it will have 1/4" or so border that it doesn't cover. Your cost seems reasonable for the area and paint correction is a large chunk of your total. There is no better feeling than hitting bugs and everything else and using detail spray to get them off. I just had it put on a BMW I bought and the same type kit you got and it was about $1600.00. Vette was done several years ago.
Are you saying you can use the detail spray to just wipe stuff right off the areas covered with film because there is no worries of scratching the paint?

The BMW with the same amount of coverage and the total is only $1600 including prep/install?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you saying you can use the detail spray to just wipe stuff right off the areas covered with film because there is no worries of scratching the paint?

The BMW with the same amount of coverage and the total is only $1600 including prep/install?
I only use a detail spray (Adams) on my film. Also, when waxing your vehicle, be careful when you're applying wax near the seams; otherwise you can end up with wax residue that begins to outline those seams...making them far more visible.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I only use a detail spray (Adams) on my film. Also, when waxing your vehicle, be careful when you're applying wax near the seams; otherwise you can end up with wax residue that begins to outline those seams...making them far more visible.
So you only wax the areas without film? And the areas with the film only get regular cash wash + detail spray?

With regard to the seams, the only ones I will have to worry about is the partial coverage on the mirrors, because all other areas are being fully covered with wrapped edges. But thanks for the tip.

I've seen some people recommend this for the film areas:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Clear_Se..._16.htm?ref=cj

Apparently it's made specifically for film.

What I'd really like to find is one sealant I can use on the whole car (areas with the film and paint without film) Instead of using one product/ procedure on the film and another on the paint.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:37 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

No sir, I did the paint correction, paint protection was $1600.00 Yes, detail spray and wipe everything off.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by psp6158
No sir, I did the paint correction, paint protection was $1600.00 Yes, detail spray and wipe everything off.
Man I like the sound of that. Just clean it with detailer with no worries about scratches or swirls. Sounds EZPZ!.

By the way, the car is all done. Detailer just emailed me:
"Ok got some finishing touches here but overall looks good. Will be ready for the morning. Let me know your plans for pickup. Also, originally we had said $2600 then you added the rockers and I had said $3000 total (+tax which we already discussed). After cutting the material it was actually less than I thought so $2900 total is really what it should be. I'm sure you wont argue."

So, $2900 instead of $3000. That was nice and honest of him.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering XPEL Ultimate...

Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wax the car and use detailing spray, just like I'm detailing or waxing the paint. I've got two cars with Xpel Ultimate on the entire front clip, the mirrors, across the leading edge of the roof, the spoiler, and hallway up the door to keep rocks off the side of the ca where wide tires throw them up into the paint.

When you clean Xpel, ypu use a cleaner supplied by Xpel. I have also used their wax, but really like ot use it, or Zaino, ora couple of others. What others have said is true. Once properly cleaned and detailed - waxed if needed - the Xpel coated areas glisten and are higher gloss when you stand off from the paint and look at the car from the side.

I got lucky as my detail shop installed $3000 worth of film for $1700 as I'm letting him use the car in four car shows as an example of a film coated car...with the windows up so that no kid with an ice cream or the like can get in.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Ron Bellack
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would do it asap.

I did the whole front, rockers, around the rear scoops on my gs and the mirrors.

Glad I did. The product is a self healing wrap that has paid for it's self many times over.

I don't sell it or install it, just a very satisfied user.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:36 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

ALL DONE!

Full front bumper and headlights
Full Hood
Full front fenders
Rear view mirrors
Full rear fenders
Rocker panels and bottom of doors.

Came out great IMO.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Considering XPEL Ultimate...