Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is there a GOOD engine machine shop in Ky or near by

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:23 PM
gunns0331
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a GOOD engine machine shop in Ky or near by

My question: Is there a good engine machine shop in Ky or near by that can bore the cylinders re-hone and re reassemble my motor and do a break in on a engine dyno?

I have an ERL superdeck short block ( LS3 427) that has had issues from the day I got it from ERL. I had the car tuned and did a break in on it before dynoing it. It only made 550 rwhp. Thinking it should be closer to 600 I had the shop do a leak down test. Each cylinder was different ranging from 19% to 29%. When I called ERL they said I need to put more miles on the motor... I did but nothing changed. I pulled the motor and sent it back to ERL. They said It was my fault, saying I ran it to rich and washed down my cylinders.... so ERL said they could do a light re-hone and put new ring in for me for another 2k (there recommendation) I gave the go ahead. When my turner got the motor back he did another leak down and it was the same. When I called ERL they said my turner was dumb because the motor had not been broken in yet and said you cannot do a leak down until the motor is completely broken in. I followed ERL's break in process to the T and The car still only makes 550 rwhp and I am getting gas in my oil (from the catch can).

My build ERL superdeck short block it's an LS3 427 it is blue printed and balanced. I had the LS7 heads that Frankenstein re worked and the cam is a BTR stage 4. ERL said the CR is supposed to be 12 to 1. LG LT and off road X pipe. I am running pump gas (93 Oct) The car also has a mantic twin disc (9000 series) clutch to hold the power. The trans is a stock tr6060.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by gunns0331
My question: Is there a good engine machine shop in Ky or near by that can bore the cylinders re-hone and re reassemble my motor and do a break in on a engine dyno?

I have an ERL superdeck short block ( LS3 427) that has had issues from the day I got it from ERL. I had the car tuned and did a break in on it before dynoing it. It only made 550 rwhp. Thinking it should be closer to 600 I had the shop do a leak down test. Each cylinder was different ranging from 19% to 29%. When I called ERL they said I need to put more miles on the motor... I did but nothing changed. I pulled the motor and sent it back to ERL. They said It was my fault, saying I ran it to rich and washed down my cylinders.... so ERL said they could do a light re-hone and put new ring in for me for another 2k (there recommendation) I gave the go ahead. When my turner got the motor back he did another leak down and it was the same. When I called ERL they said my turner was dumb because the motor had not been broken in yet and said you cannot do a leak down until the motor is completely broken in. I followed ERL's break in process to the T and The car still only makes 550 rwhp and I am getting gas in my oil (from the catch can).

My build ERL superdeck short block it's an LS3 427 it is blue printed and balanced. I had the LS7 heads that Frankenstein re worked and the cam is a BTR stage 4. ERL said the CR is supposed to be 12 to 1. LG LT and off road X pipe. I am running pump gas (93 Oct) The car also has a mantic twin disc (9000 series) clutch to hold the power. The trans is a stock tr6060.
Whoa...what is your AFR?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:34 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Where in KY are you? If anywhere near Cincinnati, BES Racing Engines is your place to go.
The following users liked this post:
gunns0331 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:30 PM
gunns0331
Advanced

Originally Posted by atljar
Where in KY are you? If anywhere near Cincinnati, BES Racing Engines is your place to go.
Im In Radcliff ky.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:36 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by gunns0331
Im In Radcliff ky.
BES is about 2.5 hours for you then. But its an option
Old 04-06-2017, 06:10 PM
vettpapaw
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

Cornett Machine Shop in Somerset.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:31 PM
gunns0331
Advanced

Has anyone heard about Mattingly Machine in Bardstown KY? One of the performance shops recommended them.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a GOOD engine machine shop in Ky or near by

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is there a GOOD engine machine shop in Ky or near by