Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] (Video) Dynamic Airfow Catch Can testing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:21 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Default (Video) Dynamic Airfow Catch Can testing.

Happy to field any questions this video brings up.
Challenge Series 1: Basic Crankcase Pressure Control

Challenge Series 2: 'Ebay' cans

Have a can you would like to see tested? Send it in!

No more BS, no more hollow claims, no more hype and deceptions. Major brand names preferred. #maythebestcatchcanwin
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder

Last edited by David@MMS; 05-17-2018 at 11:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by David@MMS:
MikeOC (04-10-2017), snow (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 AM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

::
Old 04-10-2017, 05:51 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Old 04-10-2017, 05:51 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

And this is why I own an MM can.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:17 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Could you do a test to see what recirculation of vent gasses into filter actually does on your recirc type cans?

Running mine besides the air filter unsure if it makes any difference.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

MM FTW.

Had the other brands, blew seals. swapped to MM, no issues. A big power LS needs a TON of crank case breathing. Even dual 3/8" with no restriction I would see crank case pressure. Dual -1/2" was needed.

There is a reason the big power builds almost always run a MM or MM style setup.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:13 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Very interesting/impressive, David. So what you are saying is on you can at 16 cfm blowing through the #10 line and venting out through the little air filter on top it is getting 3 psi which is kind of the max you want in the crankcase. So I presume the little air vent/filter on top is not the restriction it is the #10 line and/or the baffling stuff in the can that is causing the resistance? I guess it is not as much the #10 line so much if you unhooked it, it would probably blow quite a bit of air with just the 5/8 tube before any showing of pressure. So would you say the competitors issue is more of the smaller 3/8 line which if a barb fitting goes down to like 1/4 inch in the metal part and/or the mesh stuff in theirs being more restrictive. I think the real issue with these is not so much the PCV part but the ability to blow off crankcase pressure when under full throttle conditions. Your 16 cfm can support as you pointed out quite a bit of power. Assuming 2 cfm per 100 hp for blow-by this would support 800 hp and I know not an exact science so as you stated in your video 1,000 hp is certainly possible with what you showed. Again thanks for the demo.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

flame suit on

I guess I just don't buy into the whole concept of venting the crankcase to the atmosphere - besides being illegal, it's back to 1965 when you had to change your oil every 2500 miles to dump out all the combustion by-products. Not to mention the possibility of un-metered air entering the intake behind the MAF (maybe the pluming of the MM can is such that this isn't an issue).

I executed a similar design with my road race motorcycle, and although I (probably) picked up a few HP by not allowing the PCV gasses to recirculate back into the engine, I also noticed the oil became dirty significantly faster than when it was stock.

I suppose for guys with blowers making big power with lots of blow-by, or engines with poor ring seal, maybe you don't have any choice - but for most of us, I'll retain my factory-designed closed-loop system. I mean, the C7 Z06 runs a blower and they aren't venting to atmosphere to relieve crankcase pressure, what am I missing exactly?

My Elite Engineering can catches plenty of oil over time, so I know it's not a placebo effect.

/flame suit off

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 04-10-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by freddyvette
Could you do a test to see what recirculation of vent gasses into filter actually does on your recirc type cans?

Running mine besides the air filter unsure if it makes any difference.
In essence you can add 2cfm (for example) to the can flow maximum, give or take.
16cfm forward flow plus 2cfm suction = 18cfm. I can get a real figure.
-keep in mind this does not consider how much hp you gain / lose from ingesting less / more crankcase fumes at full load.

Originally Posted by double06
Very interesting/impressive, David. So what you are saying is on you can at 16 cfm blowing through the #10 line and venting out through the little air filter on top it is getting 3 psi which is kind of the max you want in the crankcase. So I presume the little air vent/filter on top is not the restriction it is the #10 line and/or the baffling stuff in the can that is causing the resistance? I guess it is not as much the #10 line so much if you unhooked it, it would probably blow quite a bit of air with just the 5/8 tube before any showing of pressure. So would you say the competitors issue is more of the smaller 3/8 line which if a barb fitting goes down to like 1/4 inch in the metal part and/or the mesh stuff in theirs being more restrictive. I think the real issue with these is not so much the PCV part but the ability to blow off crankcase pressure when under full throttle conditions. Your 16 cfm can support as you pointed out quite a bit of power. Assuming 2 cfm per 100 hp for blow-by this would support 800 hp and I know not an exact science so as you stated in your video 1,000 hp is certainly possible with what you showed. Again thanks for the demo.
Yes 3psi+ I consider to be bad news. Yes the ability to use larger than stock lines for larger than stock hp is key. The can internals also need to take a shift to high flow design since it does no good as a catch can if you are not trapping the oil. Catch cans handicapped by having to be run in-line of the stock pcv system are only going to control as much crank flow as the stock pcv system. My Gen4 cans control up to 1500hp of flow per can before you reach the can / breather internal resistance being the bottle neck, once you put large enough fittings on it.

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
flame suit on

I guess I just don't buy into the whole concept of venting the crankcase to the atmosphere - besides being illegal, it's back to 1965 when you had to change your oil every 2500 miles to dump out all the combustion by-products. Not to mention the possibility of un-metered air entering the intake behind the MAF (maybe the pluming of the MM can is such that this isn't an issue).

I executed a similar design with my road race motorcycle, and although I (probably) picked up a few HP by not allowing the PCV gasses to recirculate back into the engine, I also noticed the oil became dirty significantly faster than when it was stock.

I suppose for guys with blowers making big power with lots of blow-by, or engines with poor ring seal, maybe you don't have any choice - but for most of us, I'll retain my factory-designed closed-loop system. I mean, the C7 Z06 runs a blower and they aren't venting to atmosphere to relieve crankcase pressure, what am I missing exactly?

My Elite Engineering can catches plenty of oil over time, so I know it's not a placebo effect.

/flame suit off
That can tested is my PCV model. The can is pressure release only, allowing PCV vacuum to be held in closed loop just like OEM during most all normal (intake manifold vacuum) driving , Filters just like OEM, Catches PCV oil.

A customer of mine ran a 5.1 @ 137 (1/8 mile) over the weekend with my Gen3 can. We are talking 1500hp-ish. I agree not 'most of us'.

There are lots of cans out there that do a good job of catching oil., and lots of factory power level cars with appropriately sized factory supplied PCV systems.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

So is a catch can a good idea on a mild HCI car? Like 570rwhp range
Old 04-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Catchcan is always a good idea.

MM cans work just like factory expect when crank case pressure>flow to inlet. Then they vent the excessive pressure that can cause harm. So you get best of both world. Same or better vacuum setup at idle/part throttle, and enough flow at WOT to prevent issues.
The following users liked this post:
Buddy A (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 06:46 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Catchcan is always a good idea.

MM cans work just like factory expect when crank case pressure>flow to inlet. Then they vent the excessive pressure that can cause harm. So you get best of both world. Same or better vacuum setup at idle/part throttle, and enough flow at WOT to prevent issues.

Amen to that. My old setup was HCI 550whp and my old FAST intake was full of oil deposits. The top of my pistons were layered...

Can it was. After reading reviews and real world experiences I decided MM was the best option. I went with the C6 WILD setup in -10AN. The fit was perfect, the mount was great looking and the can was very well constructed.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Just installed the MM catch can in mine. David doesn't just sell you what's on the shelf. He talked to me at length about my car, how I use it, what modifications I have done, and requested pictures of my intake system and where I was finding oil. He assembled one for me that addresses directly my issues. I installed it and already know it is going to help me. He even responded to a few questions over the weekend, which I appreciate. Stand up guy with a superior system.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I mean, the C7 Z06 runs a blower and they aren't venting to atmosphere to relieve crankcase pressure, what am I missing exactly?
Have you seen the threads in there about finding puddles of oil in the S/C, and how guys are plugging the PCV line routed into the S/C. Its apparently a problem...most seem to remedy with a catch can though.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...catch-can.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...guys-look.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-a-mess.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...500-miles.html

So on and so forth...
Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Have you seen the threads in there about finding puddles of oil in the S/C, and how guys are plugging the PCV line routed into the S/C. Its apparently a problem...most seem to remedy with a catch can though.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...catch-can.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...guys-look.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-a-mess.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...500-miles.html

So on and so forth...
Oh, I know the value of the catch can, my comments were around crankcase pressure. All good.

I need to get my kid to hook one up on his 2017 SS. I've already warned him about the GDI nightmare, guess who will be doing most of the work to check the intake valves every 10K miles?

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 04-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Got it so the increased ID/OD line sizes are key and of course the length of the line to lesser extent, are the things the installer needs to know as your Can itself is really not the bottleneck until really big hp. I have seen a couple of very simple set ups with your can where they take a valve cover opening and use a 10 AN fitting then a line going to the can.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Oh, I know the value of the catch can, my comments were around crankcase pressure. All good.

I need to get my kid to hook one up on his 2017 SS. I've already warned him about the GDI nightmare, guess who will be doing most of the work to check the intake valves every 10K miles?
Definitely worse in FI situations. My '89 Turbo TA that had a variant of the Buick Turbo V6 from the GN/GNX was notorious for blowing out front and rear main seals, etc.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 04-11-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To (Video) Dynamic Airfow Catch Can testing.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

If any of you guys have a brand name can I have not run I would be happy to bench test it (the flow test above as well as oil consumption efficincy and maximum capacity) add the data to my public library, and pay return shipping
Old 04-26-2017, 09:13 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

I have some cans coming in for testing stay tuned and get with me if you have one you would like to see stretched out!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:32 AM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default MM oil catch can.

Today I had some time to spare checking the fluids and decided to check the MM oil catchcan that has like 2,500 miles since was mounted. I did not worry about checking it because I don't do track, just some times hit the gas pedal on the highway for short periods of time. For my surprised lucky that I had two Blue paper towels ready available in my hand just opened the drain valve and oil start to coming thru, really glad that I had installed the oil catchcan. (LS3 Supercharged)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: [Z06] (Video) Dynamic Airfow Catch Can testing.