Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealership called me to test drive a C7 Z06.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

I saw a C7 Z06 going down the highway...it was white and it was lowered...I was coming up from behind and slowly went past it. I can tell you, IMO, that at least from the rear and rear 3/4 view, rolling down the highway, it looked amazing. I think the lowering does a lot for the car.

On a funny side note the license plate said "PRIUS EW" (We have an HOV lane on the main highway here and there are TONS of them!)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Your car is gorgeous! Between those two I would definitely keep yours.
It's a keeper!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Wass
My daily driver is a 2016 VW GTI (AKA "Hot Hatch") with a dual clutch transmission. I feel more connected to this car than I did with the C7 while using the paddle shifters. If anyone is looking for a great all around hatch back as a DD check out the Golf GTI with performance package or the Golf R.
Good decision on not getting a auto C7Z..I chose the Focus RS as my semi DD......jmho
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Focus RS...Another fun car to own.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I made the move to the C7Z from an 08Z. I really liked the 08 but the C7Z is a far better car than the C6Z. The low end torque off idle is a hell of a lot more than the LS7. The car handles better and feels far more stable in corners like the up hill Esses at VIR. Just going to the C7Z I reduced my lap times by 5 or 6 seconds without adding any more top speed. That was all gained in better cornering and higher average speeds on the short straights. The C7Z aero package tends to slow the car in the mid 100 range so the top speeds are similar to the C6Z.

Inside the car the seats are more supportive and provide a lot more lateral support than the C5 or C6 seats. I used to run race seats in my C5 and C6Zs and was able to sell the seats once I knew for sure the stock C7 seats provided sufficient lateral support.

As for loud sound the C7Z is much louder than the C6Z. With the exhaust in track mode it makes a lot of noise when my foot is on the loud pedal but idles without a lot noise. Firing the sucker up in the garage when the engine is cold it makes a loud blast that my wife complains about even though she is in the house behind a couple of closed doors.

If you watch some of the PDR track videos taken from a C7Z you will notice how loud the engine sounds inside the car at full song. Watch videos from a stock C6Z and the roar is less even letting you notice the wind noise from the open windows. I hear no wind noise in the C7 when the foot is on the floor even when the speed is approaching 150 all I can hear is the engine. The C5Z was a brute, the C6Z was even more of a brute but the C7Z is even more of a brute.

My car is all black and it gets far more attention than any of my previous Vettes. I have counter workers at fast food restaurants rushing out of the door to take pictures, people waving and giving me thumbs up all the time. You may think the C6Z is more of a beauty but the public thinks otherwise.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
furiousox (04-23-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I made the move to the C7Z from an 08Z. I really liked the 08 but the C7Z is a far better car than the C6Z. The low end torque off idle is a hell of a lot more than the LS7. The car handles better and feels far more stable in corners like the up hill Esses at VIR. Just going to the C7Z I reduced my lap times by 5 or 6 seconds without adding any more top speed. That was all gained in better cornering and higher average speeds on the short straights. The C7Z aero package tends to slow the car in the mid 100 range so the top speeds are similar to the C6Z.

Inside the car the seats are more supportive and provide a lot more lateral support than the C5 or C6 seats. I used to run race seats in my C5 and C6Zs and was able to sell the seats once I knew for sure the stock C7 seats provided sufficient lateral support.

As for loud sound the C7Z is much louder than the C6Z. With the exhaust in track mode it makes a lot of noise when my foot is on the loud pedal but idles without a lot noise. Firing the sucker up in the garage when the engine is cold it makes a loud blast that my wife complains about even though she is in the house behind a couple of closed doors.

If you watch some of the PDR track videos taken from a C7Z you will notice how loud the engine sounds inside the car at full song. Watch videos from a stock C6Z and the roar is less even letting you notice the wind noise from the open windows. I hear no wind noise in the C7 when the foot is on the floor even when the speed is approaching 150 all I can hear is the engine. The C5Z was a brute, the C6Z was even more of a brute but the C7Z is even more of a brute.

My car is all black and it gets far more attention than any of my previous Vettes. I have counter workers at fast food restaurants rushing out of the door to take pictures, people waving and giving me thumbs up all the time. You may think the C6Z is more of a beauty but the public thinks otherwise.

Bill
Nice stock for stock comparison. I've never driven a stock C6Z, so I have no idea, but on my 08Z the power is about 100hp above stock, the seats have been addressed (Corbeau's), the handling & looks improved (Coilovers)& custom wheels/tires. And it's as loud as I'd want it with the exhaust valves open with the M2W switch. It also has a full custom audio system that sounds fantastic, custom steering wheel, harnass bar, ARE stg.2 oil system and other goodies. So I wonder how it would compare to a C7Z overall.

I'd love to have a C7Z, I agree they look pretty awesome, and of course stock for stock they are going to be an overall improvement. But with everything it comes down to money. How much you are willing or able to spend. Or even more importantly how much of a bang for your buck do you want.

For $38k I got a $76k (Sticker) C6Z with about $25k worth of work done to it, that is showroom and has only 9800 miles on it. Also factor in to that less tax paid. And I own it free and clear
Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 AM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Agree with some of the other posts. I'm into my C6Z for $40K and it has 2,500 miles on it and like brand new, but making 525rwhp. Hard to justify spending another $35-$40K on a C7Z when it mainly sits in the garage. Sure the interior is nicer, but this is a performance car and does it really matter that much? Mine is pretty loud inside with tire and engine noise, but it's part of the experience. The C6Z is more of a hard car muscle car experience. Although, it also a sports car too, not like a big old boat Challenger Hellcat. And it's light. I really like the dash with the old style gauges and I find the stereo system sounds pretty good. I don't have an problem with the interior, but I haven't sat in a C7Z either for comparison.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:37 AM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Thanks for the review Bill. Just curious what tires did you have on your C6Z?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:49 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

Keep your z, the new one is not for everyone. If you have to second guess you dont want it anyway.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had my Z since November 2005 museum delivery
Got bored with it a 14 k miles did the usual cam long tubes intake compression 542 RWHP
That helped me to get to 38K mile then got bored again
Never had a supercharged car so why not so I it had done 669 RWHP and 685 #ft of torque
Now has 60k miles not one second of boredom LOL
BTW the Vette Doctors did the work. Utterly no complaints GREAT people !
Looking for higher traction tires it has Bridgestone pole positions good all around tire even not to bad cold unlike the Michelin pilot sports which were scary cold.
email me here directly with any suggestions ? Nitto tires?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cbgpe
I have had my Z since November 2005 museum delivery
Got bored with it a 14 k miles did the usual cam long tubes intake compression 542 RWHP
That helped me to get to 38K mile then got bored again
Never had a supercharged car so why not so I it had done 669 RWHP and 685 #ft of torque
Now has 60k miles not one second of boredom LOL
BTW the Vette Doctors did the work. Utterly no complaints GREAT people !
Looking for higher traction tires it has Bridgestone pole positions good all around tire even not to bad cold unlike the Michelin pilot sports which were scary cold.
email me here directly with any suggestions ? Nitto tires?
Hello fellow NYer. I've been to the Vette Docs several times. Dennis is a good guy and they are very good, just expensive.

As far as tires go, you really need a DR out back at that power level, such as the NT05r or MT ET streets. Or a good all around sticky tire for great handling is the R888 from what I've read. Do you have stock wheels?

Last edited by kbreese; 04-26-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:08 PM
wjrive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
I think you still have the better overall car. When the C7Z first came out I had every intention of purchasing one. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it since I still love my C6Z so much. Every time I drive it I still get a really good thrill out of it...And I usually tire of cars pretty quickly!!

Plus you already have the best color!

Yeah.... You already have the best Color Z.

Willie
Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
I think you still have the better overall car. When the C7Z first came out I had every intention of purchasing one. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it since I still love my C6Z so much. Every time I drive it I still get a really good thrill out of it...And I usually tire of cars pretty quickly!!

Plus you already have the best color!
same boat as you , absolutely loved my c6z's. my c7gs is so much better in every way . dont believe i just said that but it is true!!!..

not a z06 i know, i am not a forced induction fan , reason zr1 never did it for me, c7gs is improved c6z06 in every way. i know i will be faster around a track in the c7gs than my c6z.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Huge discounts on new 2017 Z06

I got a ad in the mail from Les Stanford Chevy.
Published discount was at $19,555 off of window.

You can get a new Z06 for as low as $70,792...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealership called me to test drive a C7 Z06.