Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another LS7 left stranded.. RIP

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by moose.b3
In before the usual suspects come in and say "Very few LS7's have head and valve problems".
Old 04-26-2017, 01:26 PM
rprice
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The RIP was misleading...
Old 04-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

..Fake News..
Old 04-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
..Fake News..
I told no lies!
Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
I told no lies!
Maybe they weren't lies but you were definitely misleading. Putting RIP in the title (implying that it was dead) and saying that after opening the hood his nightmare was realized. Don't think a broken spark plug wire qualifies as a nightmare for too many people.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Maybe they weren't lies but you were definitely misleading. Putting RIP in the title (implying that it was dead) and saying that after opening the hood his nightmare was realized. Don't think a broken spark plug wire qualifies as a nightmare for too many people.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I told no lies!
I think this would have been better on April 1st.
Based on your long membership here and the way you posted it would rightly be assumed that you were reporting a blown motor.

In any event hopefully this will spur your friend and others to get their heads checked.

DH
Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Smh mods delete please....
Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
That's about what I've seen reported typically on stock 2011's. Part of the reason I chose to add an X-pipe to my '09.
2011 X-pipes fit all C6Z's?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:30 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
2011 X-pipes fit all C6Z's?
2011 X-pipes only fit 06-11; the 12-13 models with the 4-cat setup have a different mid pipe length and collector configuration. Corsa sells a "aft-cat" delete X-pipe for the 12-13 models that bolts right up and eliminates the two extra cats.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 04-26-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Tech
Safety Car

This thread wasn't intended to spur people to check their heads. But rather not to jump to conclusions. In another recent post, someone with "fixed" heads lost a cylinder which included the guide and everyone went down the valve-guide path. Not every blown up or broken down LS7 is because of the guide issue. It's not a guide issue, until it's a guide issue. Know what I mean, Vern?

Last edited by Tech; 04-26-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
By the way.. the car was stranded on the side of the road and undrivable in its current state. When my friend called me, he thought it was toast, so you got the information _just_ like I did.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

This thread wasn't intended to spur people to check their heads. But rather not to jump to conclusions. In another recent post, someone with "fixed" heads lost a cylinder which included the guide and everyone went down the valve-guide path. Not every blown up or broken down LS7 is because of the guide issue. It's not a guide issue, until it's a guide issue. Know what I mean, Vern?
I don't know who Vern is.
I don't have or want a problem with you or your post.
I think your intention was good but your execution of it was not. It was misleading as other members have pointed out. You could have made your point without being deceptive and intentionally trying to prove a point that most of us already understand.
And I think your post is still good in that it may spur some folks on the line to actually check their heads regardless if that was not your goal.

So is your friend going to get his heads checked??

DH
Old 04-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I don't know who Vern is.
I don't have or want a problem with you or your post.
I think your intention was good but your execution of it was not. It was misleading as other members have pointed out. You could have made your point without being deceptive and intentionally trying to prove a point that most of us already understand.
And I think your post is still good in that it may spur some folks on the line to actually check their heads regardless if that was not your goal.

So is your friend going to get his heads checked??

Vern is a character from some comedy movies from the mid or early 90s. They were undoubtly terrible movies by most standards but I was young.

This forum has a diverse group of contributors. Most people have good intentions but some may have our quirks (or just bad days). You may not have seen the value in how I wrote this post but others may. I think this post communicated my point better than the few other times I've tried to make it. People think trends are a replacement for analysis. As I said, the message here was _exactly_ how it was conveyed to me. The owner of the car has read the comments of the people here who seem to suggest that _most_ LS7s will eat themselves if the heads aren't addressed. The jury is still out on that one in my mind (the frequency, not that it exists). He was very concerned that he had become a statistic. The reality was that it wasn't guide or head related. And I don't think he should be compelled either way. The frequency of issue isn't related to spark plug wires breaking.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

"Broken"...as in wire detached from the boot? That's a new one. Popping off is one thing, but breaking? How do you suppose that happened on a bone stock unmolested vehicle? Unless of course he was in there recently yanking on wires/swapping plugs.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
"Broken"...as in wire detached from the boot? That's a new one. Popping off is one thing, but breaking? How do you suppose that happened on a bone stock unmolested vehicle? Unless of course he was in there recently yanking on wires/swapping plugs.
Yep, broken. Not disconnected. All I can tell you is what I saw. A plastic piece was still on the coil but the rubber boot was still attached to the rest of the wire which was laying down near the exhaust manifold. The wire was definitely brittle.

He hasn't done any work to the car as far as I know and I dont think there was a high likelihood he was monkeying around under there. Could have been cracked for awhile and finally the heat and vibration took its toll. First time I've seen anything like it.

Last edited by Tech; 04-26-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I still say it dropped a valve.
The following users liked this post:
Tech (04-27-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Another LS7 left stranded.. RIP

Old 04-27-2017, 12:13 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Vern is a character from some comedy movies from the mid or early 90s. They were undoubtly terrible movies by most standards but I was young.

This forum has a diverse group of contributors. Most people have good intentions but some may have our quirks (or just bad days). You may not have seen the value in how I wrote this post but others may. I think this post communicated my point better than the few other times I've tried to make it. People think trends are a replacement for analysis. As I said, the message here was _exactly_ how it was conveyed to me. The owner of the car has read the comments of the people here who seem to suggest that _most_ LS7s will eat themselves if the heads aren't addressed. The jury is still out on that one in my mind (the frequency, not that it exists). He was very concerned that he had become a statistic. The reality was that it wasn't guide or head related. And I don't think he should be compelled either way. The frequency of issue isn't related to spark plug wires breaking.

Well, although I think we may not see this exactly the same way I believe we both have good intentions ..........

DH
The following users liked this post:
Tech (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:26 AM
ATOMIC ORANG
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

can we pull some stat's out of that car's computer to see where that motor has been ? maybe in the 7,000 rpm range or a few missed gear's maybe, or neglected by the other owner's just saying, Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ATOMIC ORANG
can we pull some stat's out of that car's computer to see where that motor has been ? maybe in the 7,000 rpm range or a few missed gear's maybe, or neglected by the other owner's just saying, Sorry for your loss.
This is why your thread title is misleading.....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another LS7 left stranded.. RIP