Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Electronic gremlims

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:30 PM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Electronic gremlims

07 Z06, 46K miles. In the past cruise control and stability control have stopped working during a long trip, disconnected and reconnected battery once home, all is well again. Now I have had to replace the battery and after about 70 or so miles all the guages went to zero, DIC scrolling about every system has failed, service this and that, low fuel, etc. Still ran fine, just no ABS, Traction/stability controls. Got home, voltage too low to start. Did the battery reboot, problem gone, Hurray! Well, not so fast, next trip, same glitch. Got home, still enough battery to restart, all is normal again. Had my favorite mechanic/technician, whatever you are supposed to call them now pull codes. He says it's above his pay grade,
Codes were PCM: U0073-00, U2100-00, U1017, BCM: U2100-00, U2105-00, U2108-00 INST CLUSTER: U1000, U1017, U1040 EXH CONT: U1017, LOST COM W/ECM, REM DOOR LOCK LOST COM W/ECM, VEHICLE COM INTERFACE U1017.
Anyone else experienced this? I am obviously baffled. There have been no changes or recent proceedures, just oil and filter awhile back, haven't been off roading or mud bogging in it. No new add on equipment, just bone stock like I like it. Any wisdom will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
BTW, battery voltage runs 14.1 to 14.5 while driving.

Last edited by DRIVEJUNK; 05-13-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-13-2017, 05:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Battery, alternator, and clean/tight grounds. Sounds like battery may not be it, but the other two should be looked at.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Most of those DTCs set when there are problems with the Class 2 serial data system and/or the controller area network (CAN). They will set when various modules cannot communicate over Class 2 or CAN with other modules.

Problematic batteries can cause all kinds of U DTCs to set, so I'd have the battery tested. If it's bad, replace it.

Additionaly, problems with grounding and problems with wires and connections at modules can cause loss of communication fault codes, so if the battery tests good, and some or all of those codes reset, check the tightness and cleanliness of ground connections and the connections at the car's various modules.

Once you get past basics such as a bad battery, bad grounds or loose or high-resistance connections at modules, solving those loss-of-communcations DTCs can be a challenge. To do that you'll need the Factory Service Manual, a Tech2 scan tester along with maybe a DVM and other diagnostic devices.

Good luck.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 05-13-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

"To do that you'll need the Factory Service Manual, a Tech2 scan tester along with maybe a DVM and other diagnostic devices."

And will power. You already have enough codes to choke a horse so I don't think you have much to loose by un-plugging and re-plugging all ECM and BCM plugs after confirming battery and grounds
Old 05-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVEJUNK
07 Z06, 46K miles. In the past cruise control and stability control have stopped working during a long trip, disconnected and reconnected battery once home, all is well again. Did the battery reboot, problem gone, Hurray!...Well, not so fast, next trip, same glitch. Got home, still enough battery to restart, all is normal again...Codes were PCM: U0073-00, U2100-00, U1017, BCM: U2100-00, U2105-00, U2108-00 INST CLUSTER: U1000, U1017, U1040 EXH CONT: U1017, LOST COM W/ECM, REM DOOR LOCK LOST COM W/ECM, VEHICLE COM INTERFACE U1017.
Anyone else experienced this?
On the trips, have a passenger?
Weird electronics w/ blizzard of codes has been reported if/when a passenger exerts too much downward pressure w/ feet.
Cheap panel bows, contacts blue connectors in ECM/fuse pit causing all kinds of unexplainable crap. Likes yours.

Couldn't hurt checking & reseating connectors, IIRC there're 3 and blue.
Members w/ this issue, and it was a PITA to t/s, put some kind of 'shim' between panel & box components. Divert contact w/ connectors the idea. One guy used a Pink Pearl eraser, claimed it did the job & no more problems.

G/L, updates appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Most of those DTCs set when there are problems with the Class 2 serial data system and/or the controller area network (CAN). They will set when various modules cannot communicate over Class 2 or CAN with other modules.

Problematic batteries can cause all kinds of U DTCs to set, so I'd have the battery tested. If it's bad, replace it.

Additionaly, problems with grounding and problems with wires and connections at modules can cause loss of communication fault codes, so if the battery tests good, and some or all of those codes reset, check the tightness and cleanliness of ground connections and the connections at the car's various modules.

Once you get past basics such as a bad battery, bad grounds or loose or high-resistance connections at modules, solving those loss-of-communcations DTCs can be a challenge. To do that you'll need the Factory Service Manual, a Tech2 scan tester along with maybe a DVM and other diagnostic devices.

Good luck.
Thanks, brand new Delco Gold Pro battery, same as previous one. Looks like I'm in for a lengthy adventure.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:02 PM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Battery, alternator, and clean/tight grounds. Sounds like battery may not be it, but the other two should be looked at.
Thank you. Alternator tests and reads good at DIC as well. Only connections that have been disturbed was installing battery, which BTW is a royal pain...But, re-re-checking can't hurt.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:05 PM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stefuel
"To do that you'll need the Factory Service Manual, a Tech2 scan tester along with maybe a DVM and other diagnostic devices."

And will power. You already have enough codes to choke a horse so I don't think you have much to loose by un-plugging and re-plugging all ECM and BCM plugs after confirming battery and grounds
Yeah, sent code list to a guy with GM tech subscription. He asked why I just didn't send the ones it doesn't have. He's kind of a sarcastic guy like me, so we get along well.

Thanks for the response. If I ever find it I will update for all to file for future reference.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:11 PM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Landru
On the trips, have a passenger?
Weird electronics w/ blizzard of codes has been reported if/when a passenger exerts too much downward pressure w/ feet.
Cheap panel bows, contacts blue connectors in ECM/fuse pit causing all kinds of unexplainable crap. Likes yours.

Couldn't hurt checking & reseating connectors, IIRC there're 3 and blue.
Members w/ this issue, and it was a PITA to t/s, put some kind of 'shim' between panel & box components. Divert contact w/ connectors the idea. One guy used a Pink Pearl eraser, claimed it did the job & no more problems.

G/L, updates appreciated.
Well, yes, taking golfing buddy to/from tournament as I have many times. Perhaps cumulative effect totally unrelated to battery replacement. I do know where all that stuff is (Honda style...did I actually say that?) and your suggestion makes more sense than anything I have come up with on my own. I have too much experience with goofy connectors on other cars I have owned/worked on. Very familiar with the unplug/plug back in fixes. Just didn't know where to start. I like this idea, know where I will be tomorrow, and I for sure will update if problem goes away for good. I could use a good dose of happiness about now. Thank you so much.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:12 PM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Thanks to all. At least now I have a plan instead of a headache.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Did not see any obvious signs of stress, "cycled" connectors under passenger toe board for good measure. Time will tell if effective. Again, thanks for all the insights/suggestions.
Landru (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If you bought the car used I would just take some time and look over everything looking for signs that work has been done in the past. What I picture is something was disconnected/moved for whatever reason and said connector wasn't seated all the way in enough to latch. Pair that with chassis flex from normal driving and you have an intermittent connection.

I had many of the same codes you listed with the same symptoms. It happened when I plugged a datalogger into the OBD2 port and bent one of the pins on the datalogger end of the connection. With one of the pins not seated the car couldn't complete the communication loop and it went batshit crazy.
DRIVEJUNK (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 AM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phipp85
If you bought the car used I would just take some time and look over everything looking for signs that work has been done in the past. What I picture is something was disconnected/moved for whatever reason and said connector wasn't seated all the way in enough to latch. Pair that with chassis flex from normal driving and you have an intermittent connection.

I had many of the same codes you listed with the same symptoms. It happened when I plugged a datalogger into the OBD2 port and bent one of the pins on the datalogger end of the connection. With one of the pins not seated the car couldn't complete the communication loop and it went batshit crazy.
Bought used in 07, super low miles from original selling dealer. Only evidence of tinkering was previous owner (idiot?) had installed some stupid neon type footwell lighting, jumpered onto a pink wire at bolt on connector under pass toe board. Took 10 minutes to rip that garbage out and tape 1/4" of bare wire. 10 years with no real issues until now. Still need to do a lengthy test drive to see if the dragon has been slayed, Short drive OK so far, need to just go drive in circles for 100 miles or so to verify. Very interesting info from all. Liking my 49 Chevy better all the time.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:09 AM
DRIVEJUNK
Intermediate

Thanks again to Landru and all for your help. Did the connector reboot...Just finished 500+ miles excursion. Zero issues. Back to loving my car again. You guys were far more help than my industry friends, including dealer buddies.
Landru (06-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic gremlims

Quick Reply: [Z06] Electronic gremlims