Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch job turning into a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the same problem. Hinson remote line was leaking at the slave. Not sure why. The line it self fit for crap. Im sure it was hitting the tunnel at times under power pulls. I would have used a Ktech but didn't want to wait so I just went with out it and use the stock bleeder. Its a little more work to do bleed it or flush it but I know I will not have that issue again

Last edited by GeneSch; 05-21-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:43 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

After hearing stories like this I also with with katech bleeder and it's been great.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Howi152
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still waiting on the shop to work on the car. My patiences are wearing thin... I called yesterday and got blown off again. Almost ready to publicly blast the shop 😡.

He said he bled the system before installing the torque tube and there were no leaks. Tells me with 99% certainty that he hit the bleeder line when he reinstalled it
Old 05-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Howi152
Still waiting on the shop to work on the car. My patiences are wearing thin... I called yesterday and got blown off again. Almost ready to publicly blast the shop 😡.

He said he bled the system before installing the torque tube and there were no leaks. Tells me with 99% certainty that he hit the bleeder line when he reinstalled it
That's somewhat easy to do if the shop doesn't do a lot of C5-C7 Corvettes. You need to make sure the lines are connected at the proper orientation or you can sandwich them against stuff, causing them to get damaged.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Wishing you luck.
Hope it is something simple to repair.

FWIW sometimes it is just not worth supplying your own parts for a shop to install
That brings about the situation you are in.

If the shop installed the bleeder or pinched a line we'll soon know their credibility. If the parts were faulty, well you are in for double labor.

Again wishing you good luck.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:25 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After doing my own i definitely can see how the remote bleeder could hit the tunnel and/= crack or break off right at the slave. I have the shorter hinson engine mounts and its still pretty close.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:10 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

It sounds to me like they are admitting having damaged it. I doubt he will be paying anything.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:01 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
It sounds to me like they are admitting having damaged it. I doubt he will be paying anything.
It is a tricky situation on this one. A poor fitting part that commonly breaks when being installed provided by the customer.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Twinscrew
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

OP, fwiw nothing is probably broken or damaged. The remote bleeders simply hit the tunnel over a little time and back off and start leaking. The katech ones are the only ones that don't. That's why it didn't start till after you drove it. I could be wrong, but I have seen this numerous times on these cars.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 AM
Tech
Safety Car

FWIW, Katech bleeders are not the _only_ ones that don't leak. Mine is not Katech and it doesn't leak. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what brand mine is. The fitting is slightly angled that goes into the slave.

Last edited by Tech; 05-25-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Or first time cars drivetrain tweaked, it is close enough that it cracks the fitting. Seen that too.

If someone brought me a cheap set of china headers, I put them on, and then 500 miles later they crack, should I be responsible for replacing them or the labor? Nope.

CPR uses their own bleeders made by local place, and they are good, but they provide them, warranty them and install them, so if there was an issue, its on them.

Last edited by Unreal; 05-25-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Howi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Twinscrew
OP, fwiw nothing is probably broken or damaged. The remote bleeders simply hit the tunnel over a little time and back off and start leaking. The katech ones are the only ones that don't. That's why it didn't start till after you drove it. I could be wrong, but I have seen this numerous times on these cars.
I finally showed up in person because he has been avoiding me. Among the other things he said, he told me that he doesn't think it has been leaking the past two days when they have been moving it into and out of the shop. I really wonder exactly wtf is going on. He told me he needs to get 5 other cars done to pay the rent this month. He already has my $$ so wtf does he care about fixing it now...
Old 05-25-2017, 11:23 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

I finally showed up in person because he has been avoiding me. Among the other things he said, he told me that he doesn't think it has been leaking the past two days when they have been moving it into and out of the shop. I really wonder exactly wtf is going on. He told me he needs to get 5 other cars done to pay the rent this month. He already has my $$ so wtf does he care about fixing it now...
Starting to sound like you should out this guy to save others from what you're going through.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:10 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Starting to sound like you should out this guy to save others from what you're going through.
I would be careful doing that. If he publicly ran him down it could hurt his possible legal case against him. If you wait until the case is closed and there was no hush order in the agreement then tell all you want.

I don't see this going smoothly if the business is literally 1 job from closing the doors. Even if he did cause the issue, he won't be able to afford the repairs.

Being around San Jose, CA area you could make some assumptions.

Last edited by User Omega; 05-25-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:59 PM
DPW_
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinscrew
If its a tick bleeder, my guess is its hit the tunnel and has backed out causing your problem. I've seen it happen on at least 10 cars. Katech ones wont hit.

this one? http://store.katechengines.com/c6c7-...r-kit-p96.aspx
Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 PM
Howi152
Intermediate

I would be careful doing that. If he publicly ran him down it could hurt his possible legal case against him. If you wait until the case is closed and there was no hush order in the agreement then tell all you want.

I don't see this going smoothly if the business is literally 1 job from closing the doors. Even if he did cause the issue, he won't be able to afford the repairs.

Pretty much what I was thinking. I am going to keep my fingers crossed, but am preparing myself to figure out what the next step should be. Dispute the CC payment?
Old 05-26-2017, 12:18 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

I never said anything about "Running him down" Just that this is getting to be a bad situation and maybe he should name this guy before anybody else gets into the same problem. The shop is obviously not very interested in fixing the OP's issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch job turning into a nightmare

Old 05-26-2017, 03:00 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Pretty much what I was thinking. I am going to keep my fingers crossed, but am preparing myself to figure out what the next step should be. Dispute the CC payment?
Don't do anything yet. You really need to find out what happened and what he plans to do about it first. At this point there has been no determination of what actually went wrong.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:33 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by meanjoe
I never said anything about "Running him down" Just that this is getting to be a bad situation and maybe he should name this guy before anybody else gets into the same problem. The shop is obviously not very interested in fixing the OP's issue.
I understood exactly what you meant but from a legal standpoint his words are negative and damaging to the guy's business. Naming it could destroy any chances of getting a nickel in court if it comes to that. Any owner with half a brain would counter-sue for damages.

So what if we played it your way Joe? If he loses money for naming the shop are you and anyone else in the area going to fill that loss? Didn't think so. I'm just trying to help the OP out. I can't with a clear conscience tell him to give us the shop when I know what could happen if he does. Any legal council will tell you this. I feel like maybe the shop owner is just being honest with him. Maybe money really is tight. Its the 26th already. He needs 5 more jobs this month to keep the doors open. Beginning of the month (less than a week away), he may be right on this. I understand that this situation may be angering and leaving the OP feel concerned and anxious but some things take patience.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Any update on this?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch job turning into a nightmare