Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] And it begins

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
Default And it begins

Well I am currently in the process of taking my heads off my 07 Z06 and getting the valve guide issue taken care of, and in the process figured why not just go ahead and throw a BTR stage 3 cam in her as well. Havent got the front of the motor apart yet, but I figure ill take some pics and maybe help other with the LS7 cam install guide with pictures since I cant seem to find one anywhere.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by EviLS7
Well I am currently in the process of taking my heads off my 07 Z06 and getting the valve guide issue taken care of, and in the process figured why not just go ahead and throw a BTR stage 3 cam in her as well. Havent got the front of the motor apart yet, but I figure ill take some pics and maybe help other with the LS7 cam install guide with pictures since I cant seem to find one anywhere.
Here is the link to Head replacement. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1582512006

Here is the link to Head and Cam replacement. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...full-pics.html

I notice in your picture you have the stock exhaust manifolds. Not sure what the rest of your exhaust is stock or not. Are you planning on make changes to it? I recommend you check with other people who have this cam and find out what exhaust they are running. I suspect they are all running headers and no cats.

Last edited by grcor; 05-19-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
EviLS7
Pro

Yea the exhaust will change to stainless works headers with offroad X pipe. And damn I couldnt find links at all, but thanks for those.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:55 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm right with you, doing the same thing myself, minus the cam, however, I'm adding B&B LT's while I'm here. My deck and bolt holes are all cleaned and ready for heads from AHP. Kohle, for the love of God, where are my heads???

Last edited by itomh; 05-19-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Originally Posted by itomh
I'm right with you, doing the same thing myself, minus the cam, however, I'm adding B&B LT's while I'm here. My deck and bolt holes are all cleaned and ready for heads from AHP. Kohle, for the love of God, where are my heads???
Yea its a pain in the *** for the cam install, but with the heads probably going to take a week or so to get finished ill have plenty of time to tinker around in there and get it done. Plus nothing better than building it yourself knowing you did everything correct.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by itomh
You might want to work on those decks a little more...unless this was a before cleaning picture that is.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Wish I had those kinds of mad skillz......
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM
itomh
Pro

Originally Posted by MH663
You might want to work on those decks a little more...unless this was a before cleaning picture that is.

Good eye, I sent wrong picture, details, details! Picture was taken before decks were cleaned. Here are the after. I'll do one more pass when the heads get in.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

OP, who is reworking the heads, and what are you having done? i.e. - valves used, springs used, guide materials, springs, porting, milling, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by MTPZ06; 05-19-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:14 PM
itomh
Pro

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Wish I had those kinds of mad skillz......

This is my first head work job. I usually stick to the light stuff, brakes, belts, alternator exhaust and shock & struts. About as far as I have gotten internally was adding plenum spacer kit on my SUV. But seeing how this write-up was well written and this is not my daily driver, I felt I could take my time. I thought about doing the cam, but thought that might be a bit much for me at this time. Let's see what happens when I crank her for the first time
Old 05-19-2017, 02:34 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
OP, who is reworking the heads, and what are you having done? i.e. - valves used, springs used, guide materials, springs, porting, milling, etc.

Good luck!
Sending them to a shop here in Cincinnati, and yes I am having the valve guide issue fixed as well as new valves, new springs, etc.

Whats the best thing to use to clean the decks? Ive seen multiple things people use just want to know what is the best method.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 PM
itomh
Pro

Sending them to a shop here in Cincinnati, and yes I am having the valve guide issue fixed as well as new valves, new springs, etc.

Whats the best thing to use to clean the decks? Ive seen multiple things people use just want to know what is the best method.
I used a plastic scraper, it worked real well for me and got off 90% of the old gasket with ease. Wet/Dry Vac in one hand and scraper in the other, only a thin residue was left, which cleaned up nicely and effortlessly with Goof Off, I followed that with brake cleaner to get any residue the Goof Off left behind. I was to scared to use the razor technique
Old 05-19-2017, 04:24 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Looking good so far. Keep us updated
Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I use a combination of things, but the razor blade and brake clean will get the job done.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:59 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Got the heads off and everything pretty much out of the front to allow me to pull the water pump and get the rack out of the way to allow me access to the crank bolt.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:59 AM
EviLS7
Pro

So quick question im still up in the air about this, but are Texas speed headers worth a **** or should i just pony up the cash and get some stainless works or Kooks? I know they are stainless steel and all that now but how do they compare to the other brands?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:17 AM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had Kooks and now 2" ARH. ARH gets my vote.

Ryan

Get notified of new replies

To And it begins

Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 AM
itomh
Pro

So quick question im still up in the air about this, but are Texas speed headers worth a **** or should i just pony up the cash and get some stainless works or Kooks? I know they are stainless steel and all that now but how do they compare to the other brands?

X-Pipe, exhaust? If you plan to keep stock X-pipe and want a direct bolt on without having to modify it then you may want to consider B&B LT header as it is the only direct bolt on to stock H-pipe. Likewise, when I bought my 2008 Z06 it already had the Akrapovic Evo exhaust system, which bolt directly to the stock headers. I didn't want to modify Evo X pipe or headers so I had no choice other than the B&B LT headers. Something to consider
Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 AM
EviLS7
Pro

Originally Posted by fknfst
I've had Kooks and now 2" ARH. ARH gets my vote.

Ryan
Yea thats the main thing I notice is TSP doesnt offer a 2" only the 1 7/8 or 1 3/4. Guess if I am going to do it might as well do it right. Anyone here have stainless works? my friend loves his and want to get more opinions on them.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

ARH, LG, or Kooks IMO. The TSP headers are probably alright for most, but the mid-pipe that they use is just plain odd looking...the "X" section is towards the rear of the mid-pipe, rather than up near the header collectors. Everything I've read about the benefits of a "X" for scavenging purposes is that it should be as close to the header collectors as possible. The TSP "X" looks to be like 3 feet away from the collectors. Just my observations for what its worth...

Quick Reply: [Z06] And it begins