Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How to locate vacuum leak.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:24 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default How to locate vacuum leak.

So my engine light came on yesterday and the error code is P0174 and P0171 "system too lean". I found out this usually means there is a vacuum leak somewhere. I took some brake cleaner, started the car and let it idle and sprayed brake cleaner and every time I sprayed right where the throttle body and intake meet the RPMs would increase slightly. So the leak seems to be right there but I can't seem to find it. Both clamps connecting the intake and TB appear to be tight. I can't find any loose connections or hoses or anything like that.

When I spray brake cleaner right on these two clamps is when the RPMs raise slightly.

This connector seems to be pretty loose when I move it by hand. Seems looser than what would be normal. But there is no way of tightening it. It's simply a connector that snaps into place.

This piece is what the connector connects to and this piece seems to be very loose inside of the rubber grommet in the intake. But once again there doesn't appear to be any way of tightening this.

This is a gap between the intake and the clamps connecting it to the throttle body. Is this gap normal? Is this what could be causing the leak?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:52 PM
sillycon
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you taken the coupler off to check if it's cracked?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:14 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

^Agreed...I'd be pulling it apart for a closer look.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

But to answer your question, correct way to diagnose is with a smoke machine. It will inject a fog into the engine and show you where vacuum leaks are
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (05-22-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:57 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Any place that spray blends with air for combustion will cause the rpm's to change. If you are looking for a vacuum leak that is changing rpm's it would be on the engine side of the throttle body blade. Try getting that spray on where the throttle body bolts to the intake manifold. What was the most recent thing done to the engine? Look there. I think in your other thread you just picked it up from the shop. Bring it back.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
But to answer your question, correct way to diagnose is with a smoke machine. It will inject a fog into the engine and show you where vacuum leaks are
They sure do come in handy when these pesky leaks come up...... He'd need to wrap the filter pretty good, or remove it and tape up the connector.

I made one. About $25 in parts and maybe two hours tops. Only downside is it uses baby oil, and couldn't find any that was unscented...... I get funny looks by people walking by when I'm using it......
Old 05-20-2017, 01:56 PM
JaredW
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
They sure do come in handy when these pesky leaks come up...... He'd need to wrap the filter pretty good, or remove it and tape up the connector.

I made one. About $25 in parts and maybe two hours tops. Only downside is it uses baby oil, and couldn't find any that was unscented...... I get funny looks by people walking by when I'm using it......
Which vacuum line do you use when you do yours?
Old 05-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Depends on the vehicle. I was looking for one on this car, and I just taped up the throttle body opening, and inserted the hose through a small hole in the tape. Seeing how most of the vac lines are routed to the intake manifold, you should be able to check all of them.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:19 PM
dp201
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
So my engine light came on yesterday and the error code is P0174 and P0171 "system too lean". I found out this usually means there is a vacuum leak somewhere. I took some brake cleaner, started the car and let it idle and sprayed brake cleaner and every time I sprayed right where the throttle body and intake meet the RPMs would increase slightly. So the leak seems to be right there but I can't seem to find it. Both clamps connecting the intake and TB appear to be tight. I can't find any loose connections or hoses or anything like that.

When I spray brake cleaner right on these two clamps is when the RPMs raise slightly.

This connector seems to be pretty loose when I move it by hand. Seems looser than what would be normal. But there is no way of tightening it. It's simply a connector that snaps into place.

This piece is what the connector connects to and this piece seems to be very loose inside of the rubber grommet in the intake. But once again there doesn't appear to be any way of tightening this.

This is a gap between the intake and the clamps connecting it to the throttle body. Is this gap normal? Is this what could be causing the leak?

Check the connections on the opposite side where the MAF enters the cone. I had the same codes and the smoke machine showed it coming out of that connection. The screw to the rear of the MAF sensor had backed out and allowed air to enter behind the sensor. This caused a lean mix and threw the codes. I replaced the screw and the small spacer which solved the problem.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:17 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

I ended up taking it to a local shop. The guy looked for about an hour before finding it. He said it was a hose that was routed wrong. He corrected it, cleared the codes and it drives great now. Idle is nice and steady at 700 RPMs.
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (05-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To How to locate vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How to locate vacuum leak.