Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Front/Rear Calipers Interchangeable

Old 05-20-2017, 11:02 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Front/Rear Calipers Interchangeable

I did a search and could not find anything; Are the front and rear stock z06 calipers interchangeable. Basically, could I put 13" rotor and rear calipers on the front with just bolting them on or would I need modification to the knuckle? As well, could I put 14" rotor and front caliper on the rear?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Never thought about it... but on a C5, I've heard of some track guys running front brakes on the back too, and since the C6Z brake package bolts directly to a C5... might be a logical assumption that it could work.
You could try it... but I won't ask why
Old 05-21-2017, 02:48 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

No...fronts are 6 piston, rears are 4
Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Never thought about it... but on a C5, I've heard of some track guys running front brakes on the back too, and since the C6Z brake package bolts directly to a C5... might be a logical assumption that it could work.
You could try it... but I won't ask why
Yeah, I could try to bolt it up and see. Just thought may have been some on e to ty it or even do it.

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
No...fronts are 6 piston, rears are 4
I know the 6 pistons probably would not fit the 13" rotors. I would figure to use 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers on front. Same parts as used on rear.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Rears are the ebrake integrated into the them. Drum style inside the rotor. So at the very least you would lose the ebrake.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 PM
vette racer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are asking if it will bolt on, then yes. If you are asking if it will work like that, then no. Your front to rear brake bias will be all screwed up.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:23 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by vette racer
If you are asking if it will bolt on, then yes. If you are asking if it will work like that, then no. Your front to rear brake bias will be all screwed up.
How will it change the brake bias? Brake bias is managed through the master cylinder not the calipers.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
How will it change the brake bias? Brake bias is managed through the master cylinder not the calipers.
this is not true
Old 05-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
this is not true

That is DEFINITELY not true!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
this is not true
Originally Posted by Nowanker

That is DEFINITELY not true!
Educate me. How is brake bias from front to rear managed?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

OK, now after reading in the FSM, looks like the C6z uses the ABS Systems DRP (Dynamic Rear Proportioning) control system to regulate the pressure to the rear brakes.

So it appears that this is what controls the bias front to rear. So, if 13" rotors were used on the front and rear; bias should still be controlled and keep the rears from locking up. Am I correct in thinking on this.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Rotor diameter is one part of the equation, caliper piston area is another. Don't know how much of that 'DRP' electronic control is a programmed function and how much is reactive/adaptable from the ABS signals. Either way, I can't believe it would have the capacity to modulate out THAT much mismatch.
Please try it, and report back!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:58 AM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I imagine the brake bias will be slightly off, but i can't see you swapping ends the first time you hit the brake pedal.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM
vette racer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
I imagine the brake bias will be slightly off, but i can't see you swapping ends the first time you hit the brake pedal.

Well, if you are taking it easy, you may be able to keep it under control. However, The first time you have to stop hard, you will spin. Trust me, I've put front calipers on the rear of my racecar. It was un-drivable. The front of the car takes way more of the braking load and therefore needs way more stopping power. Systems have to be designed to work together.

Trust the people who have raced cars for years. You have both myself and David Farmer telling you it won't work. Call LG and ask him. Doesn't work!
Robert Finlayson
Old 05-23-2017, 01:30 PM
spy2520
Racer

Originally Posted by vette racer
Well, if you are taking it easy, you may be able to keep it under control. However, The first time you have to stop hard, you will spin. Trust me, I've put front calipers on the rear of my racecar. It was un-drivable. The front of the car takes way more of the braking load and therefore needs way more stopping power. Systems have to be designed to work together.

Trust the people who have raced cars for years. You have both myself and David Farmer telling you it won't work. Call LG and ask him. Doesn't work!
Robert Finlayson
Yeah i was thinking about putting rear calipers on the front. The other way around seems the affects would be more exaggerated.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by l98tpi
OK, now after reading in the FSM, looks like the C6z uses the ABS Systems DRP (Dynamic Rear Proportioning) control system to regulate the pressure to the rear brakes.

So it appears that this is what controls the bias front to rear. So, if 13" rotors were used on the front and rear; bias should still be controlled and keep the rears from locking up. Am I correct in thinking on this.
I believe you are confusing what the ABS does vs F to R bias. The ABS only controls pressure to a specific wheel that locks up under severe braking based on data from individual wheel sensors. The F to R bias is the relationship that prevents either the fronts or rears from locking up prematurely.

Just for reference, a base C6 has the same ABS, yet it supports two other brake sizes. The JL9 and J55 have different size rotors, with the fronts being .6" different, but the rears are a full 1" different. Even though the rear caliper physical size is the same, the piston size is different to create the correct F to R bias. If the ABS controlled the bias, there would be no need for GM to have different piston sizes.

If you want to experience how changing the bias would feel, just put some cheap ceramic pads on the front and some fairly aggressive track pads on the rear and find a safe place to test the difference.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:56 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for replies. I may test the use of 13" rotors and calipers on the front next season. I just installed new 2 piece 14" front 13" rear so these will survive the rest of the season.

If most of what is being stated with regard to using different sizes is in fact correct; I feel for the guys who have spent $5K for new big brake kits.

Get notified of new replies

To Front/Rear Calipers Interchangeable

Old 05-23-2017, 06:30 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Ok ill ask...why are you doing this? What is the goal?
The following users liked this post:
C2Racer (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 09:28 PM
spy2520
Racer

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Wondering the same thing. Also i think the 1st or 2nd gen CTS-V ran 4-piston calipers all the way around with rotor sizes close to the Z06. Maybe that could work depending on purpose.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:24 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Originally Posted by spy2520
Wondering the same thing. Also i think the 1st or 2nd gen CTS-V ran 4-piston calipers all the way around with rotor sizes close to the Z06. Maybe that could work depending on purpose.
The goal is lower weight, decrease rotating mass, and be able to heat the brakes up quicker. This Z's primary focus is autox.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Front/Rear Calipers Interchangeable