Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] V8sten Z06 muffler mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 AM
dart.deanda
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Josh B. Z06 3" Muffler Mod implemented by V8sten

So I swapped mufflers with v8sten. I have an 08 Z06 with 1 7/8 arh catted headers and a knn intake. In open mode it used to drone quite a bit at 60 to 75 mph. These mufflers are amazing. Zero.Drone... at any speed. In open mode they are loud and exotic. Makes you want to jam the throttle constantly. In deceleration they pop and cackle like my old glass packs on my 65 Le Mans, throaty. Workmanship was amazing. His install was extremely professional, took time, to align and realign everything. No leaks, no rattles. Thank you so much Don I truly believe these are the best mufflers money can buy for a Z06!
Finished mufflers before install
Unbuttoning the stock exhaust
Dropped the x pipe to make room
Quick fix to ensure new mufflers are perfectly round and fit into the x pipe
Great welds, perfectly aligned tips

Last edited by dart.deanda; 07-13-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: internet buffoonery
Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

This is the Josh B. 3" muffler mod. I wrote a DIY on this mod in 2015 to give something to the Z06 community because this is where I learned everything related to our cars. Every so often I come across a reminder that Don started copying this design and selling it for profit. At first I just informed him via PM, "just take it out of my DIY thread" and in all fairness he did.

I put a lot of effort into this, and I risked destroying a perfectly good set of $400-$500 in the name of the horsepower gods. I spent time measuring the parts, researching a source for Pierburg butterflies. I even spoke to Pierburg, the OE supplier, and they do no offer a 76mm butterfly. I spent almost a month compiling the DIY, meticulously measuring 4x, taking photos, then cutting a little bit at a time then recording exactly what I did. It takes a good bit of time and note taking to document things properly, and wiping off hands to pick up an expensive Canon Rebel camera and take quality pictures against a ruler.

It was my first and last DIY. Which sucks because there are 100s of awesome people who don't copy someone else's designs then sell them. I came across Don on Facebook by happenstance on the Z06 Owners group. In one comment I claimed to have developed these mufflers. Don responds with "hmmm, I've made several of these mufflers since 2015" and he attached a photo of his work. I interpreted this as a form of him calling my claim into question so that he could ostensibly pass himself off as the developer of the mod, I link him to my DIY thread and the next comment "Oh, are you Josh B. from Corvette Forum?" and then everyone plays nice and the whole "who developed what" is put aside. (Joshua Bauer on fb, not really a disguised name...).

I sell these systems out of shop. I'm happy with people who make these for themselves (who do-it-themselves) or for their friends. But this just hits me in the wrong way when profits enter the picture. Shame on me for sharing DIYs on ideas that are worth a few bucks.

I have seen how Dave Steck got treated for his work on flex fuel tuning, plenty of people were interested in taking credit for his hard work, and I count Dave as a friend, and I'll be damned to see this happen to a DIY I wrote for a muffler mod.

Dart, sorry to leave a long message in your thread. That is awesome you received a thumpin' muffler mod for your ride.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:09 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Reference:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ffler-mod.html
Old 05-30-2017, 11:07 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

What's the cost for this exhaust mod?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:31 AM
zaquhree
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 33 Posts

$1,000
Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
This is the Josh B. 3" muffler mod. I wrote a DIY on this mod in 2015 to give something to the Z06 community because this is where I learned everything related to our cars. Every so often I come across a reminder that Don started copying this design and selling it for profit. At first I just informed him via PM, "just take it out of my DIY thread" and in all fairness he did.

I put a lot of effort into this, and I risked destroying a perfectly good set of $400-$500 in the name of the horsepower gods. I spent time measuring the parts, researching a source for Pierburg butterflies. I even spoke to Pierburg, the OE supplier, and they do no offer a 76mm butterfly. I spent almost a month compiling the DIY, meticulously measuring 4x, taking photos, then cutting a little bit at a time then recording exactly what I did. It takes a good bit of time and note taking to document things properly, and wiping off hands to pick up an expensive Canon Rebel camera and take quality pictures against a ruler.

It was my first and last DIY. Which sucks because there are 100s of awesome people who don't copy someone else's designs then sell them. I came across Don on Facebook by happenstance on the Z06 Owners group. In one comment I claimed to have developed these mufflers. Don responds with "hmmm, I've made several of these mufflers since 2015" and he attached a photo of his work. I interpreted this as a form of him calling my claim into question so that he could ostensibly pass himself off as the developer of the mod, I link him to my DIY thread and the next comment "Oh, are you Josh B. from Corvette Forum?" and then everyone plays nice and the whole "who developed what" is put aside. (Joshua Bauer on fb, not really a disguised name...).

I sell these systems out of shop. I'm happy with people who make these for themselves (who do-it-themselves) or for their friends. But this just hits me in the wrong way when profits enter the picture. Shame on me for sharing DIYs on ideas that are worth a few bucks.

I have seen how Dave Steck got treated for his work on flex fuel tuning, plenty of people were interested in taking credit for his hard work, and I count Dave as a friend, and I'll be damned to see this happen to a DIY I wrote for a muffler mod.

Dart, sorry to leave a long message in your thread. That is awesome you received a thumpin' muffler mod for your ride.
JoshB I give you credit where it is due. I do not claim to be the originator of this mod as that goes to you. Yes I sell it as you do to. I am not trying to take anything away from you. Credit for this mod is all yours. I made changes to the original mod which suits my needs and that is what I sell. When people ask I point them to your thread if they want to do it themselves. I'm sorry if there was some confusion on people thinking it was my original thought, that was never my intention. I saw an opportunity and i took it. After i built the 1st set people started asking me if i could build them a set. It would be stupid to pass up the business. So I started selling them. From the point you said to give you credit for the mod, I have.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:19 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

I respect that Don. Thank you for your comments, and for crediting me with the effort to put the mod together. The title to this thread is what drew my attention.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:29 AM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Dude, you need to get a life. If you developed something that could be copyrighted, you should have done so. But seeing as you developed a muffler hack on someone else's product, you can't. I don't have any bias in this situation, but you're literally acting like a child over a stupid muffler modification developed for an exclusive pair of vehicles. Get over it.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:51 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cseaman
Dude, you need to get a life. OK If you developed something that could be copyrighted, you should have done so I agree. But seeing as you developed a muffler hack on someone else's product, you can't You're probably right. I don't have any bias in this situation, but you're literally acting like a child over a stupid muffler modification developed for an exclusive pair of vehicles. Get over it.
I need to get a life? You have contributed nothing here. I on the other hand have. Don also has. What have you contributed?? Aside from an internet tough guy attempt to stir up drama?
Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 AM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I need to get a life? You have contributed nothing here. I on the other hand have. Don also has. What have you contributed?? Aside from an internet tough guy attempt to stir up drama?
Lol, oops. You're right. You "risked" ruining some mufflers produced by another company for the "horsepower gods."

Bow down, y'all. We've got a forum superhero here. Get over it all and move on with your cars or whatever else you're into. Crying on the forums just annoys folks.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:39 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cseaman
Lol, oops. You're right. You "risked" ruining some mufflers produced by another company for the "horsepower gods."

Bow down, y'all. We've got a forum superhero here. Get over it all and move on with your cars or whatever else you're into. Crying on the forums just annoys folks.
trolling belongs on the mustang forums, not here. so please cut that stuff out. Unless you have skin in the game, just let it be.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:21 AM
dart.deanda
Racer

Default Title Should have been: The Josh B. Muffler Mod as Implemented by V8sten

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
trolling belongs on the mustang forums, not here. so please cut that stuff out. Unless you have skin in the game, just let it be.
Very sorry for all the hubbub this has caused. V8sten (Don) gave you all the credit for the mod. I thought I posted the below to this thread a while back but I accidentally just replied to the forum update (which goes nowhere)...

No problem Josh. And I watched that whole thread while you were developing it, and contemplated giving it a go myself. To his credit, Don also acknowledged that one of his acquaintances mentioned the fb post and he definitely credited you as the creator of the mod to him and to me. Of note, he did make a couple improvements to your mod, changing the quiet side a bit, and was the first to retain the inside of the tip. I think there is room enough for two people to profit from a good idea for the corvette community (arh and kooks, etc). I have seen others recommend printing out your diy and taking it to a muffler shop which might be worse to me. I think Don gives back plenty as do you for us lesser capable welders and he did not try to come off as the inventor. He certainly did not charge an arm or a leg but I purposely did not mention prices since I didn't ask his permission to do so. honestly, he put in more than parts plus welding labor plus install would cost. Kudos to you for the idea and I'm terribly pleased with the results. Best regards, d'Art
Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 AM
dart.deanda
Racer

Was able to update the title in "advanced mode" Peace out

Get notified of new replies

To V8sten Z06 muffler mod

Quick Reply: [Z06] V8sten Z06 muffler mod