Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Funny thing about Z06 prices...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:20 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Funny thing about Z06 prices...

I've read countless posts here that all basically say, "If the Z06 costs X, then I'm not going to buy it". Fine, your choice, but here's the irony. Guess who is going to buy it? Current Viper owners. I spent about an hour reading their board, and for the most part they are all very impressed with the car while at the same time being underwhelmed by the upcoming Viper coupe. All those guy are used to the 75k and up price point, so to them that price isn't scary at all. It's actually about 10k (4k with current discounts) less that what many of them paid for their SRT 10's. Combine that with 300 lbs less weight, a far better balanced chassis, and much more technology and it becomes a no-brainer. So, while all of you Corvette loyalists shed tears in your beers, there will be a bunch of guys driving around in C6 Z06's who own or owned Vipers. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just making an observation. See, for some people it's not about whos name is on the rear bumper, or even what country the car is made in. It's about buying the best performing car one can. To all past and present Viper owners who will become C6 Z06 owners, I say welcome aboard. To all Corvette owners who think it costs too much after they announce the price, I say re-read the technical specs on the car, and start saving.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:45 PM
TGrits10
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me add in that I don't like the idea of Viper guys giving corvette owners a bad name, so we best buy 'em all up before they can get to 'em.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:01 AM
kelvin
Advanced

Originally Posted by TGrits10
Let me add in that I don't like the idea of Viper guys giving corvette owners a bad name, so we best buy 'em all up before they can get to 'em.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:12 AM
GDP
Team Owner

The Viper guys want exclusivity over anything.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Rick Rader
Racer

I agree. Not only Viper but Porsche. A Porsche die hard at work has been asking me about the new Z06. GM wanted to step this car into a new league and it appears that they have done just that.

Getting folks in to look at the Z06 on the show room just might keep the sales peaking for the Coupe and Vert for many years to come..

Rick

Last edited by Rick Rader; 01-12-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Kaosinla
Pro

Location: Beverly Hills No Job is Too Small, No Fee is Too Big!!!

Originally Posted by Rick Rader
I agree. Not only Viper but Porsche. A Porsche die hard at work has been asking me about the new Z06. GM wanted to step this car into a new league and it appears that they have done just that.

Last week I gave dealership info. to a lifetime Porsche owner in my wife's office. He had no clue about the Vette until I got my C6. Now, he's been draining my brain for info. on the Z06...........He placed a deposit Monday.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Z064life
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by YELLOHHH
I've read countless posts here that all basically say, "If the Z06 costs X, then I'm not going to buy it". Fine, your choice, but here's the irony. Guess who is going to buy it? Current Viper owners. I spent about an hour reading their board, and for the most part they are all very impressed with the car while at the same time being underwhelmed by the upcoming Viper coupe. All those guy are used to the 75k and up price point, so to them that price isn't scary at all. It's actually about 10k (4k with current discounts) less that what many of them paid for their SRT 10's. Combine that with 300 lbs less weight, a far better balanced chassis, and much more technology and it becomes a no-brainer. So, while all of you Corvette loyalists shed tears in your beers, there will be a bunch of guys driving around in C6 Z06's who own or owned Vipers. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just making an observation. See, for some people it's not about whos name is on the rear bumper, or even what country the car is made in. It's about buying the best performing car one can. To all past and present Viper owners who will become C6 Z06 owners, I say welcome aboard. To all Corvette owners who think it costs too much after they announce the price, I say re-read the technical specs on the car, and start saving.
1 problem with your logic here. "Z06 Corvette loyalists" make up 5000-6000 per year. "Viper Owners" make up 1500/year.

Stated production goals are 15-20% of total production (4500-6000). To top it off, the only reason they would be coming is they don't like the Viper. The Z06 has always been able to keep up with the Viper for FAR less money and they still bought Vipers.

Yes, some Viper owners will change to the new Z06, and some Porche owners may come over as well (IMHO, it will be far less than Viper), but both of these groups do not make up the numbers GM has sold to in the past and has stated they want to sell in the future
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Rick Rader
Racer

Understood about the Viper/Porsche folks but when visiting the Viper board and looking at many of their signatures, many of them have several high end cars. I don't picture them moving from Viper to Vette. I imagine them adding to the collection.

Even myself for the first time. I would like to keep my current pleasure car, not my commuter car and add a second pleasure car to the collection.

I don't think this is going to be another ZR1 situation. Our C5 sibling changed that forever. I think C4 (no disrespect to C4 owners) was not ready for a Super Vette nor the times.

Rick
Old 01-12-2005, 08:39 AM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

People who are not satisfied speak the most and the loudest. These enthusiast web sites are made up of the people who are most difficult to satisfy. Put those things together and you have what you see here and at the Viper sites. I think the new Z06 will be a homerun.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:44 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only tears I'm shedding are due to the fact I likely cannot swing the Z if its > 65.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Z064life
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 68roadster
People who are not satisfied speak the most and the loudest. These enthusiast web sites are made up of the people who are most difficult to satisfy. Put those things together and you have what you see here and at the Viper sites. I think the new Z06 will be a homerun.
Most here are satisfied with the car. We are just curious about the price.

GM can decide either way what to charge. I just made a point about production numbers and stating that Viper owners only make up 1500/year
Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Thud
Team Owner

I wonder when I can pick up a used C6 Z06 for about $35k?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Z064life
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Thud
Well as soon as someone that has more of a bank account then driving skills, gets on this you'll be able to remove it from the ditch and buy for that price
Old 01-12-2005, 09:16 AM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Z064life
Most here are satisfied with the car. We are just curious about the price.
I agree for sure. The Z06vette site seems to have more unhappy campers.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Clubowner
Instructor

Yet there are some guys who like to show that they drive an $80,000 car...regardless of its performance....its the prestige of being able to purchase one and not whats under the hood to these guys...I have met very few if any Corvette owners who dont know what they're sitting on top of and who actively get involved with modding their cars, whereas, most Viper owner's and Porche owner's enjoy the materialistic value of their cars.....just my opinion!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Shahul X
Racer

Originally Posted by yellow01
The only tears I'm shedding are due to the fact I likely cannot swing the Z if its > 65.

-shu
Old 01-12-2005, 11:48 AM
yelloz06
Pro

Guy in town that is a multi millionaire with a propensity for buying cars like we change socks is buying one because he can and is a car guy at heart. He doesn't care who makes it. Yeah, he'll sell it in a year or less and get another toy or give one of the other cars in the stable the boot and hold it longer if he likes it. There are brand loyalists, and guys that just like any kind of high performance car (rich and poor), then the ones that aren't car guys and haven't a clue as to what 427 means or what dry sump is, but have the money, and just buy one because they can. Those are the ones i can't stand!

Get notified of new replies

To Funny thing about Z06 prices...

Old 01-12-2005, 12:07 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Thud
Me too ......so I can get a C5 Z06 for $20k !!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:15 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow01
Then I guess you'll have to move to Kaalifornia. That is if there is any of it left after the rain stops.
Seems like that's the main place where price is no object
And yet they still voted for the two Johns. Go figure.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:05 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

As stated many time, you can't support Z06 production levels at the price point of mid 60K range and up. They will have to drop production drastically and whats the point then? The average Corvette owner does not spend that much, they make an awesome car at a slightly high price work in the budget(compared to other cars in the same performance catagory).

Todd

Quick Reply: [Z06] Funny thing about Z06 prices...