Notices
C7 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C7 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: Damaged 2016 Z51 Coupe with mag ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Damaged 2016 Z51 Coupe with mag ride

I am repairing the car. NO LONGER FOR SALE.

thank you,

Repairable 2016 Corvette Z51 Coupe
7 speed manual transmission
2LT package
magnetic ride control
Laguna blue
Kalahari leather
9k miles

This is my personal car. I was participating in an HPDE at Watkins Glen. Exiting the bus stop I was a little hot, lifted, and spun into the tire wall. The tire wall absorbed most of the impact. Damage to the car is almost entirely limited to the SMC body panels which are bolt on replaceable.

There is absolutely no frame or mechanical damage. You can still get in the car and drive it. Cooling system, a/c, everything works. The car has been on an alignment rack, and the wheels are still perfectly in alignment, per DSC street/track specs. Both doors open and close perfectly (the right door is now removed for inspection).

The only difficult part of the repair is the windshield frame. If your intent is a pure track car with a cage, the frame could be straightened. If you intend a street car, the windshield frame should be replaced. This part is available separately, and is replaceable per the GM service manual. Steps consist primarily of removing the fasteners, heating the adhesive, removing the old, and re-gluing the new. To perform this procedure you must first remove both aperture panels (door openings) so two new panels are on the parts list.

The car took most of the impact along the passenger side. The car had decelerated to approximately 25 mph by that time, and was sliding sideways when it hit the tire wall so the load was spread evenly. We removed all the panels for our inspection, and have provided pictures so you can see what is behind them. There may be some minor tabs broken here and there, but everything behind the fenders/quarters is good.

The right fender, right door, right quarter, rear bumper cover, and left quarter panel need to be replaced. The LF fender is repairable, but these panels do not cost much so probably more efficient to replace. The removeable solid roof panel is cracked on the RF edge, all there but probably not repairable due to its carbon fiber construction. The oil cooler in the right rear corner should be replaced (not leaking but fins and brackets are damaged).

The left door has minor cracks where the door jamb meets the outer skin. These are only visible on close examination. This is easily repairable.

The RF headlamp is broken. The LF headlamp is undamaged, removed for inspection.

The tailgate is not damaged, and opens/closes properly. The halo panel (over the roll bar) is undamaged, removed in the photos only for inspection underneath. The roll bar structure is undamaged. The weatherstrips you see hanging were pulled back for inspection, they are undamaged. The front bumper is undamaged. The hood is undamaged but has a couple scratches in the paint.

The original Z51 wheels and Pilot Sport tires were not on the car at the time of the accident so they are completely undamaged. The tires have about 3,000 miles on them.

There is no insurance claim, so there will be no carfax history. Purchaser will get a clean one owner title, not rebuilt. This will have no effect on the GM warranty.

This is my personal car. I work at a Chevrolet Dealership. I can supply all the body panels, both aperture panels, door, windshield carrier, windshield, oil cooler, headlight, trim pieces, everything described above and more small parts have a dealer cost of $13k. At the buyer's option I can include any parts desired at Dealer Cost. The way I see it, there are three ways to proceed at the buyer's option:

1. Repair it to pre-accident condition. $13k plus a bunch of labor and materials should do it.

2. Repair it as a wide body. Everything that you would replace for a wide body conversion is part of the list above. Installing the wide body versions of the same parts adds about $1k additional. With a set of Grand Sport wheels, you have a wide body. Other than the windshield and rear bumper, this job basically is the same as a wide body conversion.

3. Make a dedicated track car. If you're going to install a full cage, you really don't need to replace the windshield posts. That means you also don't have to replace the aperture panels, and would probably repair some of the othe body parts. Buying this car with just enough parts for a track car puts you in for a total in the high $20s, which is the cheapest Z71 in the world, excluding those with frame damage.

Price is $18k. I have bids from salvage yards near that amount so the price is fair. Car is in Elmira, NY, zip 14903, stored inside.

Last edited by Citation; 06-20-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Citation
Racer

Old 06-17-2018, 08:14 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Thats a great price and actually not to hard to fix - and a widebody conversion is a good idea if one was going to buy it GLWS - someone will be getting a deal
The following users liked this post:
Citation (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:18 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

is the passenger windshield pillar bent?,and is the roof panel croaked too?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

You would want to replace entire pillar - roof looks like its repairable see his link at top lots more pics - anyway GLWS
Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Citation
Racer

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
is the passenger windshield pillar bent?,and is the roof panel croaked too?
Both windshield pillars are bent. The entire windshield frame is sold as one piece, attached to the cowl with fasteners and adhesive. No welding required. GM does not recommend straightening the frame, and the part is not expensive. Its amazing how this car is designed to come apart. All the body panels are bolt on items.

If the buyer plans to make a pure track car including a full cage, I think you could straighten the frame.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:09 PM
bc928
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Really awesome opportunity for having a cheaper buy in to build what you want.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:26 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Citation
See pictures at https://www.donferrario.com/Cars/2016-corvette-z71/

Repairable 2016 Corvette Z51 Coupe
7 speed manual transmission
2LT package
magnetic ride control
Laguna blue
Kalahari leather
9k miles

This is my personal car. I was participating in an HPDE at Watkins Glen. Exiting the bus stop I was a little hot, lifted, and spun into the tire wall. The tire wall absorbed most of the impact. Damage to the car is almost entirely limited to the SMC body panels which are bolt on replaceable.

There is absolutely no frame or mechanical damage. You can still get in the car and drive it. Cooling system, a/c, everything works. The car has been on an alignment rack, and the wheels are still perfectly in alignment, per DSC street/track specs. Both doors open and close perfectly (the right door is now removed for inspection).

The only difficult part of the repair is the windshield frame. If your intent is a pure track car with a cage, the frame could be straightened. If you intend a street car, the windshield frame should be replaced. This part is available separately, and is replaceable per the GM service manual. Steps consist primarily of removing the fasteners, heating the adhesive, removing the old, and re-gluing the new. To perform this procedure you must first remove both aperture panels (door openings) so two new panels are on the parts list.

The car took most of the impact along the passenger side. The car had decelerated to approximately 25 mph by that time, and was sliding sideways when it hit the tire wall so the load was spread evenly. We removed all the panels for our inspection, and have provided pictures so you can see what is behind them. There may be some minor tabs broken here and there, but everything behind the fenders/quarters is good.

The right fender, right door, right quarter, rear bumper cover, and left quarter panel need to be replaced. The LF fender is repairable, but these panels do not cost much so probably more efficient to replace. The removeable solid roof panel is cracked on the RF edge, all there but probably not repairable due to its carbon fiber construction. The oil cooler in the right rear corner should be replaced (not leaking but fins and brackets are damaged).

The left door has minor cracks where the door jamb meets the outer skin. These are only visible on close examination. This is easily repairable.

The RF headlamp is broken. The LF headlamp is undamaged, removed for inspection.

The tailgate is not damaged, and opens/closes properly. The halo panel (over the roll bar) is undamaged, removed in the photos only for inspection underneath. The roll bar structure is undamaged. The weatherstrips you see hanging were pulled back for inspection, they are undamaged. The front bumper is undamaged. The hood is undamaged but has a couple scratches in the paint.

The original Z51 wheels and Pilot Sport tires were not on the car at the time of the accident so they are completely undamaged. The tires have about 3,000 miles on them.

There is no insurance claim, so there will be no carfax history. Purchaser will get a clean one owner title, not rebuilt. This will have no effect on the GM warranty.

This is my personal car. I work at a Chevrolet Dealership. I can supply all the body panels, both aperture panels, door, windshield carrier, windshield, oil cooler, headlight, trim pieces, everything described above and more small parts have a dealer cost of $13k. At the buyer's option I can include any parts desired at Dealer Cost. The way I see it, there are three ways to proceed at the buyer's option:

1. Repair it to pre-accident condition. $13k plus a bunch of labor and materials should do it.

2. Repair it as a wide body. Everything that you would replace for a wide body conversion is part of the list above. Installing the wide body versions of the same parts adds about $1k additional. With a set of Grand Sport wheels, you have a wide body. Other than the windshield and rear bumper, this job basically is the same as a wide body conversion.

3. Make a dedicated track car. If you're going to install a full cage, you really don't need to replace the windshield posts. That means you also don't have to replace the aperture panels, and would probably repair some of the othe body parts. Buying this car with just enough parts for a track car puts you in for a total in the high $20s, which is the cheapest Z71 in the world, excluding those with frame damage.

Price is $18k. I have bids from salvage yards near that amount so the price is fair. Car is in Elmira, NY, zip 14903, stored inside. Email don@ferrario.com or 607-444-2776.
So, you have no problem at all with this car that would have been a total loss if reported to your insurance company to be repaired and sold to someone as if it were never damaged?

Last edited by 09ZR1; 06-18-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:35 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

A sad ending for a nice car. My theory on rebuilders based on experience. Estimate the cost and double it. Hope it finds a good home.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by 09ZR1
So, you have no problem at all with this car that would have been a total loss if reported to your insurance company to be repaired and sold to someone as if it were never damaged?
My thought EXACTLY...cant get more dishonest than that... Sad, but it seems like you cant trust anyone anymore...
Old 06-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 544 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

You guys are out of your minds. GM has a repair procedure for everything wrong with this car. The salvage title was created to show which cars an insurance company wrote off its books. I have a salvage equinox because a cat died inside of it. It was never intended to serve as a guide for future buyers and there is nothing dishonest or illegal about this title not being branded. If the buyer asked if it was previously wrecked, it would be dishonest and illegal to lie, but this seller has done the opposite of that.
The following 4 users liked this post by Luke42_02:
bick333 (07-11-2018), c6txvette (08-01-2018), Chicago Bob (06-19-2018), Citation (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:14 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke42_02
You guys are out of your minds. GM has a repair procedure for everything wrong with this car. The salvage title was created to show which cars an insurance company wrote off its books. I have a salvage equinox because a cat died inside of it. It was never intended to serve as a guide for future buyers and there is nothing dishonest or illegal about this title not being branded. If the buyer asked if it was previously wrecked, it would be dishonest and illegal to lie, but this seller has done the opposite of that.
To be fair, most corvette buyer's are so particular they wouldn't buy a Vette with 5 miles on it, let alone one with repaired damage.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 AM
Citation
Racer

Tough audience! :-)

I have decided to repair the car. NO LONGER FOR SALE.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 544 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Good job, this car did not deserve to be parted out. Look for pre-painted panels.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM
ukie_CorvetteC6
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 20 Posts

Repair it. I purchased one with similar damage. it does take a lot of labor though.

Get notified of new replies

To Damaged 2016 Z51 Coupe with mag ride

Quick Reply: FS: Damaged 2016 Z51 Coupe with mag ride